• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another move issue
03-21-2017, 10:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2017, 10:34 AM by carl11.)
Another move issue
I have tried it 3 times...thank god for saves....

It appears, in Storm conditions,( as I have never run into this before in other conditions)- you cannot move an inf. unit to a rubble hex FROM a rubble hex, even if they have full movement  complement( its the first move of the turn and no the hex is not over stacked), it makes the unit turn into a clear hex next to it...I mean what the heck?

Has anyone else noticed this? Did I miss this in the rules?
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2017, 01:00 PM,
RE: Another move issue
Are you trying drag and drop movement to a hex more than 1 hex away? I just setup a scenario to test this, and I can move directly, rubble to rubble, in storm/freezing conditions, to an adjacent hex as long as I am moving to the hex. If I try to drag and drop a move to two hexes away, both rubble, the unit instead moves to a clear hex as a possible better move than the direct rubble to rubble move.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-22-2017, 01:45 AM,
(03-21-2017, 01:00 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Are you trying drag and drop movement to a hex more than 1 hex away? I just setup a scenario to test this, and I can move directly, rubble to rubble, in storm/freezing conditions, to an adjacent hex as long as I am moving to the hex. If I try to drag and drop a move to two  hexes away, both rubble, the unit instead moves to a clear hex as a possible better move than the direct rubble to rubble move.

Hi Ricky, thx for responding.

No, it is an adjacent hex I am moving from......

I starting tinkering around too.

Let me clarify or paint the pic. with more detail-

I am playing Rhzev, the destination hex is an occupied friendly Bunker in the village Karelova at 35,116, which has been turned to rubble.

I am next door in 36,116. (a village hex ,same town) turned to rubble and trying to move an Inf. into the Bunker from there.

I discovered that if I had a Motorcycle unit in 36,116 and used travel mode I could move next door to the bunker directly. BUT, I cannot move a foot inf. unit, in any mode, to the bunker.

I however, CAN move the Inf. unit  In that bunker at 35,116 next door 36,116.

Ergo; it is clearly an encoded move-cost restriction, and the Bunker occupancy cost, whether by accident or having never been considered-storm, rubble to rubble etc. is the issue.

If I recall the instructions say a unit will always, at the very least be able to move one hex as long as there is no hard coded restriction, like moving into a river etc.
 I'm screwed and probably going to lose Belyi, which sux a mop.
03-22-2017, 11:44 AM,
What movement method are you using though? If you right click with your selected unit, into the adjacent hex, there is absolutely n way I can think of that it would move into a different hex. Is that what is happening, or it just won't work? That seems to be your original description. Or is it failing to move - in which case there should be an error message in the bottom bar about not enough movement points or something similar.

Will take a closer look, the storm coding has caused issues in the past, it could be a missed issue happening where the storm halving happens at the wrong time and the engine says sorry not enough movement points?
03-22-2017, 12:18 PM,
So, although the game is not working completely normally - graphically, due to not installing it on my current computer I think - I was able to setup a scenario replicating what you described, rubble in both hexes, regular foot infantry in each hex, and was able to move from one hex to the other, during storm, no issues.

Are you using a modified or alternative scenario from the stock? I only have the stock scenarios, and using the campaign scenario, I see the bunker in 36,116, not 35,116. So that implies there is a difference. But I can move either way, into or out of the bunker hex that I have.

So I can't think of anything else. If you aren't moving by selecting the unit and right clicking on the adjacent hex, I would suggest using that method. If you are, but it moves to a different hex than you right click on, that is an issue for sure. If you are and the unit won't move, there may be an unforeseen issue with movement costs and storm but you should provide a save and password, if encrypted, so that it can be looked at exactly as you have it happening. And this is all based on stock game/scenarios.

Rick
03-22-2017, 10:23 PM,
Thank you Ricky......The scn. is slightly modded in that for example the bunker you see at 36,116, I 'moved' to 36,115.
36,116 is now just a village rubble hex.

I am drag and dropping not right clicking. I will check when I get home, I don't have that save game here at my work comp.;)
03-23-2017, 07:24 AM,
(03-22-2017, 12:18 PM)Ricky B Wrote: So, although the game is not working completely normally - graphically, due to not installing it on my current computer I think - I was able to setup a scenario replicating what you described, rubble in both hexes, regular foot infantry in each hex, and was able to move from one hex to the other, during storm, no issues.

Are you using a modified or alternative scenario from the stock? I only have the stock scenarios, and using the campaign scenario, I see the bunker in 36,116, not 35,116. So that implies there is a difference. But I can move either way, into or out of the bunker hex that I have.

So I can't think of anything else. If you aren't moving by selecting the unit and right clicking on the adjacent hex, I would suggest using that method. If you are, but it moves to a different hex than you right click on, that is an issue for sure. If you are and the unit won't move, there may be an unforeseen issue with movement costs and storm but you should provide a save and password, if encrypted, so that it can be looked at exactly as you have it happening. And this is all based on stock game/scenarios.

Rick

You called it Rick. I highlighted the unit then right clicked on the Bunker hex and it moved directly there.....I have only been playing 3 months or so and in Budapest this never came up. I got used to drag and dropping to such an extent I basically overlooked the click method......I am of course, much obliged for your help.

I wish I had waited. I had a full strength, zero fatigue Regt. shredded by Russian Arty....Belyi may fall....

Of course my being High Command,  means I will have to shift the blame to Captain Schlep. I'd send him to the Russian front but, hes already there..... Whip
03-23-2017, 12:04 PM,
Good luck with things - the Soviet artillery is deadly to units in the open, in many cases. Glad my guess resolved things for you, for the future anyway.

Rick