• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

3D Graphics for Panzer Campaigns Relaunched
03-25-2017, 02:42 AM,
RE: 3D Graphics for Panzer Campaigns Relaunched
I am guessing that doing a slight reprogram change to allow the PzC series to use 49x49 pixels is not an option?

If so, it would save you a ton of time working on the unit art work.
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2017, 04:33 AM,
I don't play the game but your graphics mod is wonderful, well done.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
03-25-2017, 06:24 PM,
Well done David for your work on this project, I am a dedicated 2D player but I bet there are some 3D guys out there who will really appreciate your work. Smile
03-26-2017, 03:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2017, 12:03 AM by Kool Kat.)
Gents: Smoke7

For me, I think that clean 2D NATO style units coupled with unambiguous terrain (e.g. At a glance a player can distinguish a village versus a city or a stream versus a river), are the essential graphics of an operational scale game series like the Panzer Campaigns. 

Why tinker with the 3D mode when a majority of players only play in 2D? Idea2

While the 3D (reboot) looks more attractive then the vanilla 3D, it resembles Panzer Battles graphics... to me when I see the new 3D, I immediately think of a different scale (platoon / company) and not (battalion / regiment) like PzC.

I would be more interested in a operational scale treatment of the Pacific Theater.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
03-26-2017, 01:21 PM,
The 2D is also being revamped. We covered it in other threads on this board, but here is a link which includes screenshots half way down the post;

http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2016/...ar-update/

David
03-29-2017, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 06:24 AM by Volcano Man.)
(03-20-2017, 06:56 PM)Lowlander Wrote: Why in your screen shots are hexes always set to off ?, I always set hexes on.
The new 3D counters make the game look like a AGEOD game, my opinion.
Why are the NATO symbols on the 3D counters, this blocks the artwork, this is already displayed in the Unit Info Box.

Because who has time to click on every unit on the map to figure out what each one is? With the symbol on the counter, you can tell quickly - at a glance - what the unit types are.

IMO, I think this is the problem with the old 3D view - you couldn't really tell what units were what by looking at it, unless you went to the old 3D blocks type unit counters where. This approach combined both the symbol and image; I like it. Whistle

(03-26-2017, 03:05 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Why tinker with the 3D mode when a majority of players only play in 2D? Idea2

Because the 3D view is already in the game, and it looks quite bad. Why not tinker with it and perhaps make it useful, rather than either a) leaving it looking old and ugly, or b) removing it entirely?
Send this user an email
03-29-2017, 07:00 AM,
Yeah, I play almost solely in 3D now, after I did all the mods for it, made it playable!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
04-14-2017, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM by Strela.)
Hi All,

I have been just completing the next graphical task I wanted to test for the Panzer Campaigns 'Gold' series.

I had forgotten that there were two graphical sets for 2D. One was NATO and the other I was uncertain of. I then looked back at a very old install and realised that over time the graphical icons had been removed. These are accesible under settings

So below you can see some of my experimentation.

Here is the standard NATO symbols on the 2D counters at normal zoom (right click and open a new tab for full size);

[Image: Post%2020170413_1.jpg]

And here is my test example using graphical icons;

[Image: Post%2020170413_2.jpg]

Here is the zoomed in NATO symbols;

[Image: Post%2020170413_3.jpg]

And the equivalent graphical icons;

[Image: Post%2020170413_4.jpg]

It will be nice to be able to give so much choice to players and modders to customise the look and feel of the game

Happy for any commentary.

David

PS Working with Ed Williams I have also revamped most (all?) of the sounds for Panzer Campaigns. I'm surprised what a difference it makes.
04-14-2017, 10:53 AM,
Very nice looking David.

Glad to hear about Ed's WWI sound files coming to the PzC series as his sound files were very impressive to me, back when F'14 was released.  I liked them so much I recall emailing him and telling him about it!   Smile

Also, a big thanks to everyone involved in pumping some much-needed new life into the PzC series and giving us art mod fans so many options to choose from. Thumbs Up
04-14-2017, 10:58 AM,
(04-14-2017, 10:53 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Very nice looking David.

Glad to hear about Ed's WWI sound files coming to the PzC series as his sound files were very impressive to me, back when F'14 was released.  I liked them so much I recall emailing him and telling him about it!   Smile

Also, a big thanks to everyone involved in pumping some much-needed new life into the PzC series and giving us art mod fans so many options to choose from. Thumbs Up

Hi,

Let me be clear. We're not porting Ed's sounds across (though a few will be used).

These are all new sounds for PzC to reflect WWII battlefields - not WWI.

We're pretty happy with them.

David