• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ZOC issues-illegal move?
03-20-2017, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017, 02:27 AM by carl11.)
ZOC issues-illegal move?
I have ran into a ZOC issue.

I am playing Rhzev, even playing without Locking ZOC's, units cannot move directly from and inside an opponents ZOC, see the image.

The unit is a Russian penal unit, see unit in the info. box, it moved directly from the the maroon scratchy circle of that strength 3 minefield to the lower right,   ending up noted by the orange arrow, as you can see it had german units on both sides of that hex, beneath it and to its direct flank, on its left, our right looking at the pic.

Attached Files
.jpg   Zone of control.jpg (Size: 302.59 KB / Downloads: 32)
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 03:09 AM,
RE: ZOC issues-illegal move?
In your image the Soviet penal unit has it's full movement allowance. Are you sure you captured the right image?

Was there another Soviet unit in the hex when the penal unit moved into the position? Was that unit destroyed by defensive fire?

Check the Parameter Data file. Near the bottom of the file is the ZOC Movement Multiplier value. The default value for Rzhev 42 is zero, which means movement between enemy ZOC is not allowed unless a friendly unit occupies the hex being moved into. This should cost the moving unit it's entire movement allowance for the turn.

Finally, what is the composition of the hex just to the north of the Soviet penal unit's final position after the move? Are these all gun units with no ZOC?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-20-2017, 05:10 AM,
Thx for responding DS.

I went to back a turn to my save the end of turn before, just before I gave control to the AI, which sent this unit to where it wound up; when it made its move- it was in that minefield. There was a German AA unit in the hex it wound up in, maybe it assaulted the hex? Can a unit assault into a hex that that ZOC should prevent it from entering?
Why it still has 21 MPs is beyond me......

The ZOC Movement Multiplier is indeed zero.

Also, the units to its north are a AA and 2 inf. units, they were isolated but not broken or even disrupted.
03-20-2017, 01:44 PM,
You can ignore the full movement points - since it is an enemy unit in your turn, it will start with full movement until it defensive fires, so that part is as it should be. And as you noted, since there was a defending-yours- unit present in the hex, that means the enemy can assault it and occupy it even though it couldn't just move into that hex on its own. One of the abstractions that make it hard to analyze what it represents in real life, but the overall situation is a valid real world result, units could assault and end up isolated when units on the flanks get stopped.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-20-2017, 10:57 PM,
(03-20-2017, 01:44 PM)Ricky B Wrote: You can ignore the full movement points - since it is an enemy unit in your turn, it will start with full movement until it defensive fires, so that part is as it should be. And as you noted, since there was a defending-yours- unit present in the hex, that means the enemy can assault it and occupy it even though it couldn't just move into that hex on its own. One of the abstractions that make it hard to analyze what it represents in real life, but the overall situation is a valid real world result, units could assault and end up isolated when units on the flanks get stopped.

Rick

Thx for the confirmation Ricky. Helmet Smile

I was wondering if any PzrC players use the 'locked zoc' option? Hummmmm
03-21-2017, 12:30 PM,
Never liked it in the early PzC days, when locking ZOCs was the only rule, as it made it way to hard to do anything. When in reality it was very difficult for an encirclement to keep everything trapped, the locking ZOC meant everything inside was trapped, even with a chain of friendly units keeping supply open.
[Image: exercise.png]