• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New member question
02-27-2017, 03:35 AM,
New member question
Hi, I recently purchased PzB Normandy and have a quick question . After doing some searching I found there isnt a offical game forum to ask questions on but luckily found this forum which seems from what I have read is very knowledgeable on the title ....  Helmet Wink

My question is about unit casualties and its effects on ability to engage.  After a few battles I noticed even units that have more then three quarters of their numbers reduced are still eager to engage?  .... I find this odd , I have looked in the manual and found nothing on what it takes to rout a unit due to casualties.
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2017, 04:07 PM,
RE: New member question
What's happening here is units engaged suffer losses in strength and also have added effects from Battle Fatigue, the numbers start fresh, turn green, yellow and then red. When fatigue reaches a threshold ....300 I believe, the units are broken.

Check the user guide and you'll find the section I'm referring to. The way you recover from fatigue is take the unit out of the line and do not move them.

The design idea here is that players push their counters much harder than any General would push his troops.
Send this user an email
02-27-2017, 11:00 PM,
(02-27-2017, 04:07 PM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: The design idea here is that players push their counters much harder than any General would push his troops.

Totally!  I used to have the idea when I used to play the Napoleonic titles:
Any cavalry that survives the battle could have done more.
02-28-2017, 05:02 AM,
The key is the unit quality + fatigue, if letter is C or higher (A-B and the nap +++ types) unit is capable in all areas (attack-defend) if is D you need think in mass more troops to attack and defend under D you have a serious problem and need reinforce them to defend, attack is a dream for this troops.

Fatigue affect quality and your units to rest need do nothing... in the moment move or is attacked (and suffer casualties or gain fatigue) you cant recover it... and at certain point units can simple break.

A "subpart" of game is the fight to mantein the maximum number of troops ready to fight... but at same time be ready for any situation and dont have your troops doing nothing, in PzB with no casualties recover is more common use your troops to create defensive positions because fatigue recover is not allways "critical" like have a good trench in a key position.

I allways think that problem in Tiller engine is not have quality separated from morale, for me quality never needs be affected by "combat fatigue", here morale is the key to control how your units combat... i want see this because you can link morale break area with quality, for examle A units break at 40% morale, and D units at 70% morale... and for Nap serie prevent the spontaneous breaks in your units with 0 chance to predict them (very frustrating when an unit at 100% with no fatigue and good quality lose 4-5 soldiers of 500 or more and run ... at same time units heavy damage with no great morale stands).
02-28-2017, 10:43 AM,
Thanks for the quick replies,  makes a bunch more sense now that I know how quality/moral/fatigue is designed/modeled. I'm truly not trying to critique the mechanics rather get some insight/edge on how to play the game.
03-01-2017, 02:07 AM,
Oooo a VERY important point to have in mind in assault area, the assault do it using the LOWEST quality level in the units that join to the assault and defender defends with the HIGHEST quality value.

For example, attacker has 3 units in the melee, one A and the other 2 B, this means that the value used is B, not A, and in defense if you have all no morale units BUT you manage to add an A unit in the hex you defend like all the troops in hex be A quality units.

Disrupted units defend with half value, a 30 soldiers unit disrupted is the same as 15 soldiers in defensive.
03-02-2017, 10:01 AM,
Perfect,  thanks
I'm still digesting the manual ,I'm a table top gamer but honestly there's a lot going on under the hood with PzB , I'm not familiar with John Tiller's other titles which often are mentioned in the manual..in other words, this isn't a game you just fire up a jump into 

Just what I was looking for .....