• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Air Availability"
02-15-2017, 02:44 AM,
"Air Availability"
Seems I must be barking up the wrong trees because I simply cannot figure out the availability %....or nbhow to change it.

see below for the verbiage I am referring to etc., user guide ;

Example: with an Air Availability value of 20%, an air unit that has carried out a mission will have a 20% chance of being available on the next turn. 

So, I am playing Korsun, I am in day 3, the airs units I have used on day one, heck, day 2 as well,  have NEVER come back on line, which, I think is a bit much....so, I was wondering, where can I validate they have zero % of returning and, when times came when I want to edit the scn. can I change it.... .....this doesn't help;

The availability of an air unit can also be affected by specific changes to availability as part of the scenario.  The Units Menu in the Main Program and Scenario Editor display the changes in air availability that have been defined and allow these changes to be edited.

I have tried that, in the PCEDIT the units tab gives you no aircraft options, under the 'Scenario' tab you get an air support choice but it does not lead to a way to check or manipulate the air avail. %......

I have no idea what they mean by 'Main Program', though I tried it guess by checking the OOB editor. etc.

Any clues to share, please?
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2017, 04:54 AM,
RE: "Air Availability"
So lots of possibilities here, as to the why. Specific to your questions:

1. General Air Avail per your first quote is set in the PDT. Korsun by default is set to 20% for both sides. Now maybe that was reset to 0 - since you like to modify things maybe you changed in the past and forgot how? Just throwing out a guess, but otherwise it should be 20%. But I doubt this part, just throwing it out there.
2. Per your second quote, it is scenario edit that allows the scenario to add/remove air units/availability throughout the scenario based on the game turn. No change possible during the play - and it is just for adding/removing units from the scenario, in essence.

As to your real question? maybe, there could be many reasons why the air units, once used, haven't returned to the avail list. Are any air units available for the side you are playing? And are you playing with Low Vis air effects? If you are, then if visibility is below a certain level you will only see a fraction of the available air units, and so depending on what you are using your used units may not be showing. From what I recall, until you use a unit that is showing in the list, if the percent avail to visibility is less than 100%, then other units that are returning to available status won't show up. That could also explain why no air units are showing if that is the overall status, if vis is so poor that no air units are available.

Rick

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-18-2017, 05:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017, 05:12 AM by carl11.)
(02-15-2017, 04:54 AM)Ricky B Wrote: So lots of possibilities here, as to the why. Specific to your questions:

1. General Air Avail per your first quote is set in the PDT. Korsun by default is set to 20% for both sides. Now maybe that was reset to 0 - since you like to modify things maybe you changed in the past and forgot how? Just throwing out a guess, but otherwise it should be 20%. But I doubt this part, just throwing it out there.
2. Per your second quote, it is scenario edit that allows the scenario to add/remove air units/availability throughout the scenario based on the game turn. No change possible during the play - and it is just for adding/removing units from the scenario, in essence.

As to your real question? maybe, there could be many reasons why the air units, once used, haven't returned to the avail list. Are any air units available for the side you are playing? And are you playing with Low Vis air effects? If you are, then if visibility is below a certain level you will only see a fraction of the available air units, and so depending on what you are using your used units may not be showing. From what I recall, until you use a unit that is showing in the list, if the percent avail to visibility is less than 100%, then other units that are returning to available status won't show up. That could also explain why no air units are showing if that is the overall status, if vis is so poor that no air units are available.

Rick

Rick

Morning Rick;

First thank you for responding! Much obliged....

So, first things first, no I have never changed it...never knew how.

I understand once a game is began, the scn. 'file' for this game is locked, no changes can be made, adding units etc.

Next, yes I am sure the visibility etc. or game conditions allow for use, as I have used a few others units....

Re: changing before a game IN the Scenario editor, where ? What tab and drop down choices can get me there? I cannot find a % field, etc. to change etc.

Thx of letting me know its 20%, or that is should be, I should like to know how to be sure....

The PDT,  thx, I opened it up with Wordpad, but, lol, I don't know which line holds the parameter data for the availability %.....
02-18-2017, 01:18 PM,
Okay, so two different air avails that can be set. The scenario availability is where air units that have been added to the scenario can be set to not available until a certain point. This is under Scenario - Air Support. There, you can set each air unit's actual strength through Increase/Decrease. Set Availability through that button, which allows you to set when an air unit becomes available.

For the PDT, Korsun should have a program in its main folder - pcparam.exe. Run that, open the PDT file used by the scenario (maybe just one for all scenarios?) and you can see there what value is the setting. Actually, even easier, in the game, press F4 and the values are displayed, no need to use the editor!
[Image: exercise.png]
02-22-2017, 11:01 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: "Air Availability"
(02-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Okay, so two different air avails that can be set. The scenario availability is where air units that have been added to the scenario can be set to not available until a certain point. This is under Scenario - Air Support. There, you can set each air unit's actual strength through Increase/Decrease. Set Availability through that button, which allows you to set when an air unit becomes available.

For the PDT, Korsun should have a program in its main folder - pcparam.exe. Run that, open the PDT file used by the scenario (maybe just one for all scenarios?) and you can see there what value is the setting. Actually, even easier, in the game, press F4 and the values are displayed, no need to use the editor!

Bingo, you're the man, Helmet Wink  I found the availability % in the pcparam.exe, thank you Ricky!