• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on combat values and fire values
03-19-2017, 12:16 AM,
RE: Question on combat values and fire values
I always recommend new players play solo a few games - but with this twist. Play a few games in "HOTSEAT" mode with FOW on. This will give you a better feel for spotting, LOS/LOF, movement, ranged fire, etc. You play both sides, but if you are wanting to invest some time in learning the game, HOTSEAT is a great way to get a good feel for the mechanics of the engine above and beyond understanding the math of the rules.

Just my two-bits worth! Have fun!

Steve
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2017, 05:34 AM,
(03-19-2017, 12:16 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: I always recommend new players play solo a few games - but with this twist.  Play a few games in "HOTSEAT" mode with FOW on.   This will give you a better feel for spotting, LOS/LOF,  movement, ranged fire, etc.   You play both sides, but if you are wanting to invest some time in learning the game, HOTSEAT is a great way to get a good feel for the mechanics of the engine above and beyond understanding the math of the rules.  

Just my two-bits worth!   Have fun!

Steve

Good suggestion!   Good Post
03-19-2017, 11:08 AM,
Opti

Yes, you have it correct, both effectiveness values are used. The weapon's effectiveness declines each time it fires. A unit's effectiveness declines when it gets shot at. Pinned and Disrupted states affect the whole fire value.
03-25-2017, 04:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM by Opti.)
Thanks for all the help guys.
Another dumb question, how are machine guns useful?
They count as 1 weapons (obviously), so its strength 1 with (let's take) Lethality 40. Assuming wpn status 100% and crew status 100%, it's grand total is 40 Fire Value (not counting any other modifiers). Which gives us casualty min of 0.4% * 6 = 0.024 (if 6 is Low Combat Value) and max casualty of 0.4% * 60 = 0.24 (if 60 is High Combat Value). Double that for effectiveness loss, which is still very low. What am I missing here , did I misinterpret something? Is it only long range + making units get down to the ground?
03-26-2017, 02:46 AM,
Well, that is the basic gist of it, but some other things to take into account are that machine guns generally have a higher penetration value than rifles firing the same cartridge. This being based on the assumption that more bullets means a greater chance that one will find a weak spot. Machine guns can be effective against lightly armored vehicles and are more effective against infantry in cover. Since machine guns also have a longer range than rifles, not only can they obviously shoot farther, but more importantly, since the fire value is halved at long range (more than 50% of the range value), they will have a full fire value when rifles are at half value at a certain range. One goal is try and keep your machine guns at this range where they can fire effectively, but the opposition can not. Since you mention forcing troops to go to ground, remember that fire values are doubled against standing troops. Another advantage for machineguns is that they can be deemed "Set Up" by the scenario designer. This triples their fire value in a certain arc, reflecting positions with extra ammunition and firing stakes set up. You don't see this used very often, but when it is used, it often means the attacker will try and find another attack lane.

Jeff
04-03-2017, 05:14 AM,
Quick question: In the Eagles Strike SS Campaign, I noticed motorcycles have 13 capacity? How is that possible?
04-03-2017, 09:59 PM,
(04-03-2017, 05:14 AM)Opti Wrote: Quick question: In the Eagles Strike SS Campaign, I noticed motorcycles have 13 capacity? How is that possible?

A 10 men squad has 3 to 4 motorcycles with sidecars to transport them into battle. One of the bikes had a LMG that could be removed for field use. The norm was 3 men to a motorcycles with sidecar.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-04-2017, 03:16 AM,
Yeah I assumed so, but if you dismount them from the motorcycles, the whole motorcycle unit can still be moved independently, but it's manned by a 1 man?
04-04-2017, 05:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017, 05:53 AM by Richie61.)
I think only the motorcycles with the MG can move. I just tested it in AotR and the MG bike still has a one man crew and can still move. The bike that the squad dismounted from has no crew and can't move.

Update: In RV the Soviets have motorcycles with a non dismounting crew, thus can still move.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."