• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Playtesters wanted - Tunisia43 Ahistorical GC
02-06-2017, 11:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM by Ocito80.)
Feedback Needed  Playtesters wanted - Tunisia43 Ahistorical GC
I recently started picking up JTS games and I wanted a larger campaign feel for Tunisia. So I put together this little piece of work in hopes of accomplishing it. My first mod too for JTS games. 

I'm hoping some might be interested in it, grab a buddy and play it out for me. I'm looking for feedback. 

The early game will play quickly, as slowly both sides will build up its forces where as closer to the end game, it will play out more like a slug fest. 

500 Turn Monster encompassing the entire Tunisia Map.

Setting -
Vichy Troops in Tunisia were loyal to Vichy and blocked the mountain passes to the advancing allied forces from Algeria. It wasn't until the end of December were the routes clear and the advance continued. This gave the Axis extra time to organize the 5.Panzer.Armee. Instead of ad-hoc abschnitts, Kampfgruppes were formed in their place. Therefore the Axis OOB is adjusted slightly, primarily the 5.Panzer.Armee, but no additional forces were added.

This is an attempt to blend the main aspects of the original scenarios into one large one. The Axis must expand their Tunis bridgeheads to prevent the allies from occupying their victory point locations. The month of January is meant for fluid battles, while February will be a slug-fest as the Allies launch their all-out offensive.

Personal notes:
I like the idea of a slow buildup over time and Tunisia allows for that. Axis and Allies in the north get a steady stream of reinforcements. In the south no so much as the two armies will just be dumped on the board over a few days span.

Kampfgruppes were used in Tunisia, but over a long campaign there is no way attach/detach units accordingly. I therefore took some liberties with the OOB on the axis side to form some, mostly out of the abschnitt units. Hence the additional oob file.

DAK and 8th Army timetable were pushed up about a week as to avoid extending the amount of the game turns even further.

Dawn/Dust was adjusted, hence the separate pdt file.

I do consider this phase 1, and as feedback comes in, once the VP locations, reinforcement schedule feels solid I hope to move on to Phase 2, which will reduce the map size by 20-30% and establish strategic deployment options for both sides.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it
Atheory

Thanks
Atheory

Attached Files
.zip   Tunisia43_AhistoricalCG.zip (Size: 44.29 KB / Downloads: 14)
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 02:08 PM,
RE: Playtesters wanted - Tunisia43 Ahistorical GC
Thanks Atheory, sounds very interesting!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-07-2017, 05:39 AM,
Great to see a new Mod, however at 500 turns it might take a while before you get any meaningful feedback.

The optional rules selected can have a HUGE effect on how any scenario plays out, maybe you should give some guidance on which ones to select so all the testers are singing from the same hymn sheet? Smile
02-07-2017, 03:33 PM,
(02-07-2017, 05:39 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Great to see a new Mod, however at 500 turns it might take a while before you get any meaningful feedback.

The optional rules selected can have a HUGE effect on how any scenario plays out, maybe you should give some guidance on which ones to select so all the testers are singing from the same hymn sheet? Smile

Awesome, I appreciate the heads up. I think default rules should work best for now.

I'm mostly interested in feedback for the first month of play, or roughly the first half of the scenario, so 200-250 turns. The first 50-100 turns should play quite quickly. That's basically the "race for tunis" part of it, before Rommel/Monty really show up. Reinforcement schedule during January will be critical for play balance.

Future plans (after receiving feedback either from my own playthroughs or from others) involve reducing the map size by 15-20% (mostly along the western edge) and messing with supply a bit more.

So, while that happens, I'm now messing with my "Fortress Sicily" project. Another ahistorical scenario under the following premise: Axis forces in Tunisia were only a blocking force to allow Rommel to make it to Tunis where night-time shipping could evacuate his forces to Sicily. Hitler commanded Rommel to turn Sicily into a fortress. Monty is emboldened after his pursuit of Rommel, he pushes for an invasion of Sicily right away hoping to prevent the Axis time to catch their breath and recover. What he didn't count on was the time necessary to acquire the necessary shipping to transport the Allied armies, giving Rommel exactly what he desired not to.....time.

A reorganized Axis (if you like Kampfgruppens, you'll like this), plus Rommel planned defenses, an allied juggernaut, different VP objectives, explicit supply and strategic invasion options for allies should make this quite enjoyable. My plans are to have this scenario somewhere between 200-300 turns.
02-07-2017, 08:52 PM,
(02-07-2017, 03:33 PM)Ocito80 Wrote:
(02-07-2017, 05:39 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Great to see a new Mod, however at 500 turns it might take a while before you get any meaningful feedback.

Awesome, I appreciate the heads up. I think default rules should work best for now.

I'm mostly interested in feedback for the first month of play, or roughly the first half of the scenario, so 200-250 turns. The first 50-100 turns should play quite quickly. That's basically the "race for tunis" part of it, before Rommel/Monty really show up. Reinforcement schedule during January will be critical for play balance.

Future plans (after receiving feedback either from my own playthroughs or from others) involve reducing the map size by 15-20% (mostly along the western edge) and messing with supply a bit more.

So, while that happens, I'm now messing with my "Fortress Sicily" project. Another ahistorical scenario under the following premise: Axis forces in Tunisia were only a blocking force to allow Rommel to make it to Tunis where night-time shipping could evacuate his forces to Sicily. Hitler commanded Rommel to turn Sicily into a fortress. Monty is emboldened after his pursuit of Rommel, he pushes for an invasion of Sicily right away hoping to prevent the Axis time to catch their breath and recover. What he didn't count on was the time necessary to acquire the necessary shipping to transport the Allied armies, giving Rommel exactly what he desired not to.....time.

A reorganized Axis (if you like Kampfgruppens, you'll like this), plus Rommel planned defenses, an allied juggernaut, different VP objectives, explicit supply and strategic invasion options for allies should make this quite enjoyable. My plans are to have this scenario somewhere between 200-300 turns.

Awesome, love these long Scenarios!
02-09-2017, 01:16 AM,

This looks interesting! I'm game as the Allies if someone wants to play Axis? 

I totally agree with Mr. Grumpy...what optional rules do you envision?
02-09-2017, 06:13 AM,
In his last post he suggested that the default rules would be best.
02-09-2017, 02:03 PM,
(02-09-2017, 06:13 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: In his last post he suggested that the default rules would be best.

Ahhh...I missed that, thanks!