• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is the serie dead???
12-08-2017, 10:12 AM,
RE: Is the serie dead???
Again, any kind of rework in this scale will only come if WDS takes over the series.
I doubt there is any chance that suddenly a bunch of moders appear to redo there series, besides some things don't even work without programming stuff to be done, again something that can only happen when WDS takes it over.
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2017, 02:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 06:36 PM by -72-. Edit Reason: Re-writing post -same info ... different phrasing )
(12-08-2017, 10:12 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Again, any kind of rework in this scale will only come if WDS takes over the series.
I doubt there is any chance that suddenly a bunch of moders appear to redo there series, besides some things don't even work without programming stuff to be done, again something that can only happen when WDS takes it over.

For what it is worth:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid422864

I am pretty sure that this applies to EAW as well - frankly I don't know where you come by your information; it isn't from official sources, and based upon what I know about EAW in general, you have never had any official connection with that series whatsoever -and mind you, I would know this.

I was addressing Xaver in terms of graphics- and frankly, I can categorically say that you have no idea at all what you are talking about. No one is going to talk about 'modders' and published graphics in the same sentence, ever.

I know that there are other things that have a higher priority than working with the EAW series, and you need to ask yourself why that might be that I would know that. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, it doesn't mean that it won't happen, and the rest of it -isn't even worth addressing.
Send this user an email
12-08-2017, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 06:48 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(12-08-2017, 02:08 PM)trauth116 Wrote: For what it is worth:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid422864

I am pretty sure that this applies to EAW as well - frankly I don't know where you come by your information; it isn't from official sources, and based upon what I know about EAW in general, you have never had any official connection with that series whatsoever -and mind you, I would know this.

I was addressing Xaver in terms of graphics- and frankly, I can categorically say that you have no idea at all what you are talking about. No one is going to talk about 'modders' and published graphics in the same sentence, ever.

I know that there are other things that have a higher priority than working with the EAW series, and you need to ask yourself why that might be that I would know that. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, it doesn't mean that it won't happen, and the rest of it -isn't even worth addressing.
Not sure why you from time to time have to shine with such unappropriated post. Your presumptuous way of telling be that I allegedly know a **** is nice, but keep it for yourself unless you want to officially state something that contradicts my info.

I stand by what I said, if one thinks just because another series got a lot stuff that stuff would be "easy to port" over to any other series he is just nuts and has not the slightest clue of programming. Go ask Berto or John, if all that programming would to so easy WDS would have graped all of Tiller's portfolio and not just some. And they would by now have put all the improvements, like the UI, into all other games.

And what Rich stated was for the SB series, it has nothing to do with this series. But what he mentions was already common knowledge before, WDS is full and labor is a problem, like it always was and like it always will be as JT seems do to all the programming himself. So unless JT plans to make programming a much bigger priority than the years before all the candy from WDS isn't coming to this series, but you can always ask Santa Claus for it....

And talking about published graphics and modders, who do you think made all the new graphic stuff for Petersburg? You seem to have no clue because that is all routed to Team Banshee. If WDS would not have come up with incorporating TB's stuff officially into the games, like other modder stuff was also officially added, then TB would likely have released it as mod, like the many other mods they did for all the CW games.
So again, if you think we suddenly see new art, in the way of the recent graphic improvements from WDS, for a series that is soooooo long out but that afaik Team Banshee never ever made any graphics for, then you are dreaming. Unless of course you foudn another modder doing it.
The TB guys surely have better things to do, you should know it, is or isn't the CW series set to be updated to the level of Petersburg? Ass full of work I would say, what surely has priority over a series that WDS hasn't acquired at all.

Not sure what you post is all about, this kind of self-congratulation is just a waste of anybodies time. If you think it would harm business to set the people back on the ground instead of letting them hunt high flying dreams, well that is your problem. I neither stated that this series is dead nor that it would never get any updates anymore. It is just a fact that waiting for all the WDS candy to appear here, and this in the foreseeable future, is just a dram, a nice dream but just a dream.
And I doubt that there is any official interest in telling the customers & potential customers to dream this dream while the next round of updates isn't even on the to-do list.
If you want to let the kids dreaming I don't mind, sooner or later it's time to tell them that there is no Santa Claus.
12-09-2017, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017, 09:14 AM by -72-. Edit Reason: Got timed out :) )
You know, Rich is the only person that speaks officially on behalf of the company, it isn't anyone else.

But frankly my post was limited to addressing the graphics that Xaver was mentioning, and you brought up programming. I have no comment about programming or what you posted on either of your two. Programming basically happens in conjunction with a pending release.

Graphic-wise it can happen, and the artwork area can easily be sourced for that. It doesn't take a lot of time.

-Also if it matters, I never said 'allegedly'. Not on this topic, at least.
Send this user an email
12-09-2017, 07:47 PM,
Well, i dont think we talk about programming and even if we talk about this the true is that EAW is a serie with the oldest version of Tiller engine at the point games (at least MAW that is the last title in serie) dont have the extra zoom level or even the zoom using mouse wheel.... if someday in future serie is recovered from dust first thing is going to be update engine to be at least at the level of last improvements inter-serie and if you update engine touch graphics is necesary at least for counter art, not a great deal update engine and not graphics.

I think that now only WSD is putting some work outside the release of new titles and i really dont like see them working in art area pushing back PzB serie new titles but if we want see other series revive this means touch engine-art and only WSD looks capable to do it now... compare Petersburg with any of the previous titles... even when i think they need do something with the HP space needed because with new map art HP space is to much... like FOG 2 and is not like we can compare engines.
12-10-2017, 02:10 AM,
After searching the available mods out there for the series I quickly came to the realization there simply isn't much available for 3d so I'm making my own .....  Helmet Wink

I am by no means a "modder"  but found I can easily edit the graphic files with a simple paint program to somthing more informative at a glance and more appealing to my own boardgame 2d taste. [Image: screen.jpg]
12-10-2017, 05:01 AM,
OK lets ignore programming.
If anyone wants new art on the quality level of Petersburg we have to wait for a wonder. In almost 20 years there wasn't anything done by anyone that JT regarded as good enough to incorporate it officially, like it was done in the FWWC series. But at the same time it was also not outsourced to anyone to be improved. Doing these graphics, and doing them good, isn't easy even for a professional artist, and I'm not even taking about the hand drawn maps.
AFAIk some of the delay of Petersburg came from art that had to be finished, and Bill Peters recently mentioned that the latest Napoleonic game will likely not make it this years because he has to wait for art to be finished.

That just leads to one conclusion, a graphical improvement in the scale of that of Campaign Petersburg will only come if there is a change behind the scenes and that change is in my view WDS taking over this series, but as their plate is full it's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, and even than I hope they go for the Napoleonic series.

Regarding map art space, JT already provided a small download version of Petersburg that has none of the hand painted maps. But I wonder why anyone worries about this kind of size in these times, there are games out there that are 40-50GB if installed, that is maybe large compared to the usual SSD sizes of 1TB to 120GB.
12-10-2017, 05:41 AM,
(12-10-2017, 05:01 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: OK lets ignore programming.

OK, let's not.   Smile

Speaking only for myself; speaking not in any official capacity for JTS or WDS:

I can say that in a couple of years time, things may be going so well with the other WDS series (including the Campaign Series) that I can make room on my plate to help JT in programming the other JTS series.  Most especially to pick the low-hanging fruit of standard UI upgrades (new toolbars, hot keys, etc.); new 2D and 3D modes (not the ugly software auto-scaling); etc.  Beyond the easy stuff, maybe not.  At some point, maintaining so many series, with so many (albeit somewhat similar) codebases could drive one crazy.

(And who knows?  Maybe JTS and WDS might enlist other programmer(s) to the cause.)

So programming changes to the other series is not an impossibility.  It just won't happen any time soon (if ever).

Keep the faith.   Thumbs Up
12-11-2017, 12:45 AM,
Seriously ? , so there is little to zero chance that there will be any graphic updates to the EAW series according to inside information .
12-11-2017, 02:31 AM,
(12-11-2017, 12:45 AM)19Delta Wrote: Seriously ? , so there is little to zero chance that there will be any graphic updates to the EAW series according to inside information .

My post referred to the programming side.  Which does not say there is "little to zero chance" there will be any programming updates; there might be a chance.  We shall see.

I have no insider information about any graphics updates.  I couldn't really say about graphics.  That's not my area of responsibility.

This is insider info but nothing official about it.  I myself don't call the shots.