• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aviation commitment
02-05-2017, 05:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017, 05:33 AM by Gris.)
RE: Aviation commitment
(02-05-2017, 04:43 AM)Weasel Wrote: I have noticed a few things:

1.  The Axis have far more recon squadrons than combat, way too many, my national reserve is full of them
2.  The Ju87 is a wonderful asset to soften up targets
3.  Sometimes my transport won't resupply units, says not available.  They have no air miles so I don't understand it.  I thought maybe it was because the enemy was near but the rules don't state anything about that, the units are within range too
4.  The reserve 2LW base near Berlin will only allow recon squadrons to be assigned to it, but the national reserve has all sorts of fighters and bombers.

I have moved several recon squadrons back to reserve, dumb asset, would rather have more JU88s or 109s.

**How many Soviet divisions do you think you need to destroy to really weaken them?  I am on turn 12 and have destroyed 120 divisions, but I am sure that is not enough, most likely need about 200?**

Glad you are feeling better, being sick sucks.  I thought you were just tired of our questions!! :-)

1. Yes, but recon is important. Air recon can raise the Detection level to 4. The highest DL is 9. DL directly affects CV. Rule 7.1 & 13.1

2. The Best! Excellent aircraft.

3. Hard to answer because I don't know the details, if it is hex related try one hex away and see if it flys. Also try shift right click and see if you can select the recon units. It sounds like none are in range. It could also be a supply issue for the airbases or if the airbases is in restrictive terrain, 8.2.1.Air Base Unit Attachment Restrictions.

4. I believe this is a historical design decision.

The number of Soviets you need to eliminate is hard to answer, because different players set MTOE to different rates. 10 Division at 60% MTOE is the same as 6 set at a 100% (in theory). It is also different vs the AI. In HTH it is harder because most players will see it coming. So I will say this. Always encircle as many as possible, but if you are playing the long game (where your opponent does not surrender or you are not playing some type of sudden death) then you need to take the manpower centers. If the Soviets lose too many they will never retake the ground fast enough in 1944 to win the game. Manpower was a logistics issue for Soviet Infantry Divisions as the war dragged on contrary to the propaganda. Playing the Axis is not always about winning, it is usually about not losing.

Never get tired of answering, you are keeping me up to date on the rules Big Grin
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Aviation commitment - by Weasel - 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Weasel - 01-28-2017, 01:21 PM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Ricky B - 01-29-2017, 10:27 AM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Weasel - 01-31-2017, 04:08 AM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Gris - 02-04-2017, 02:12 PM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Weasel - 02-05-2017, 04:43 AM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Gris - 02-05-2017, 05:21 AM
RE: Aviation commitment - by Weasel - 02-05-2017, 05:56 AM