• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Production - production, what's your function?
01-17-2017, 07:44 AM,
Production - production, what's your function?
So now that I am finally playing the campaign I have come to realize something; the production screen for the most part is fluff.  The only things I note that really influence me are manpower losses/returns and supply/oil etc.  And of that I note that in 41 the Germans are using just about every drop of fuel that is produced each week, that is scary.  But all the details of tanks and planes can be done away with, you have no influence upon it so why bother?

Now I might be missing something, I am green at this, but that is my take.  I find the beginning turn report really all one needs over the production report.

If I could change production focus and such that would be different, but then each side would be producing Tigers/T34/85s and nothing else.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2017, 02:12 AM,
RE: Production - production, what's your function?
(01-17-2017, 07:44 AM)Weasel Wrote: So now that I am finally playing the campaign I have come to realize something; the production screen for the most part is fluff.  The only things I note that really influence me are manpower losses/returns and supply/oil etc.  And of that I note that in 41 the Germans are using just about every drop of fuel that is produced each week, that is scary.  But all the details of tanks and planes can be done away with, you have no influence upon it so why bother?

Now I might be missing something, I am green at this, but that is my take.  I find the beginning turn report really all one needs over the production report.

If I could change production focus and such that would be different, but then each side would be producing Tigers/T34/85s and nothing else.

Hi Weasel,

That has been my experience for the Axis. Both sides have different uses for it. Here is a brief explanation of both systems on Steam for anyone reading the thread who is new to the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/370540/dis...593245466/

For the Axis, it is informational, although you can influence it to some degree. As you noted the Axis fuel situation is a problem ( a never ending one it seems at times).

For example, if I am planning an offensive and anticipate out running my rail line quickly and I know my transports have taking a beating, the production screen can give me an idea of how many turns it will take to build up the units. Now I have some information to make a decision on when to launch my offensive. Or it may tell you why all your Heavy Tank units have no Tigers. On your losses screen you have lost 200 tanks and on the production screen you only make 5 a week, hence 40 weeks to make up the losses. Your losses are out pacing your production. The information increases in value when used in conjunction with other screens. As you stated, IMO the event log is the most valuable screen with usable information. It really gives the briefing information you need each turn.

As far as influence, in the bottom left corner are the production levels which you can adjust. It is not documented in the manuals, only the patch notes of the What's New PDF.

V1.08.02 – February 5, 2015

11. Added the ability to influence the flow of supplies in the production system and to fort
construction. It will be now possible to define production levels (25-100%) for aircraft, ground elements (produced in factories), armaments and vehicles as well as fort construction levels (0-100%, separately for units and cities) on the production screen.

Changing production level by 1 uses 2 AP, changing construction level by 1 uses 1 AP.All those activities require supplies, which are also needed by units for consumption and conversion to ammo. In case of shortages it might be wise to tune down production levels so that units will not suffer grave shortages. Lend-Lease equipment will not be affected, since it does not use supplies for production.

So early in the war you could turn down forts when you do not need them or late in the war turn down aircraft, for example. As the war grinds on for the Axis it takes on more importance.

For most turns and most players I agree, it is fluff. There is only so much you can do with it as you said. I do look at every turn as I do all the reports. I use it a lot more as the Soviets. It really boils down to your level of "player". You can just move the counters around and play it like the old board games or you can count truck losses in a separate excel sheet. Like any Commander's Brief, some slides are more important than others. The Axis production screen usually gets a "Ok, got it, next slide" in the Command & Staff minutes of your turn.

Actually as the Axis, I just push counters around, and as the Soviets I micro them a considerable amount. One oddity I have noted in reading much about it on the forums is it seems to have more use as a de-bugging tool than a player aid. Just sayin'.

I absolutely agree with your last statement. If the Axis/Soviets had more control over production, the potential for abuse is great. To me, a game breaker. Well said.

Hope this helps, have a great day!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
01-19-2017, 10:54 AM,
Thanks once again for your excellent insight. I read about the production percentile settings but never really grasped it. I wonder if you lower aircraft and forts if the extra production goes to tanks etc., will have to read again.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-19-2017, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2017, 11:22 AM by Gris.)
(01-19-2017, 10:54 AM)Weasel Wrote: Thanks once again for your excellent insight.  I read about the production percentile settings but never really grasped it.  I wonder if you lower aircraft and forts if the extra production goes to tanks etc., will have to read again.

Hi Weasel,

I would say yes in the sense they needed more supply and it became available from forts or aircraft. The system seems to work off an all or nothing.

You have 20 supply

You need 10 for Forts, 10 for Aircraft, 10 for vehicles

You lower forts and aircraft to 5, you can now cover all three.

It is hard to remember which area the system prioritizes over the other. It might be interesting to lower each one at a time and see what happens with each number. Also there is the supply and demand side of what units are requesting to replace losses.

This might be worth some more digging in too. The documentation on it is sparse. I am thinking it is a percentile of supplies used.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
01-19-2017, 01:26 PM,
Yeah, I have not been able to find it in the rules. Oh well, mess around with it. I should be capturing Kiev within 3 weeks of launch now that I have 4 Pz Corps in the south, the Reds tried building a line along the river but I was across it before they could complete it. Stalingrad by October 41?
01-19-2017, 02:07 PM,
(01-19-2017, 01:26 PM)Weasel Wrote: Yeah, I have not been able to find it in the rules.  Oh well, mess around with it.  I should be capturing Kiev within 3 weeks of launch now that I have 4 Pz Corps in the south, the Reds tried building a line along the river but I was across it before they could complete it.  Stalingrad by October 41?

Right on, if you hit Stalingrad by October, post a screenshot!
01-19-2017, 02:32 PM,
Reduced the unit forts to 0%, city to 70%, cost 130AP but truck production/repair seemed to jump. Funny how trucks become more important than tanks eh!

Well won't be Kiev by turn 3, damn Reds and their depth defence!! Maybe by 6, just brought my 5th Pz Corp into action in the south. I did destroy 17 divisons (what is that, about 1.7 divisions German equivalent for the Reds?) in the south this turn though, now to work my way up north.