• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Isolated Engineers?
12-01-2016, 08:39 AM,
Isolated Engineers?
Under the new 1.02 rules in PBK, should this engineer have an isolated status from the mines? The engineer recovered from disruption at the beginning of the turn and as far as I can tell, is in supply. It is a PBEM game with FOW, default optional rules, #0705_08 Cemetery at hex 17,8. The other units depicted are not isolated.

I am not sure if I understand the rules or change in the patch. Thanks in advance for any explanation.

[Image: Isolated%20Engineer.jpg]
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 04:46 PM,
RE: Isolated Engineers?
(12-01-2016, 08:39 AM)Gris Wrote: Under the new 1.02 rules in PBK, should this engineer have an isolated status from the mines? The engineer recovered from disruption at the beginning of the turn and as far as I can tell, is in supply. It is a PBEM game with FOW, default optional rules, #0705_08 Cemetery at hex 17,8. The other units depicted are not isolated.

I am not sure if I understand the rules or change in the patch. Thanks in advance for any explanation.

Hi Gris,

Yes, this is working as intended.

Essentially we took away what we though was an exploit - i.e. an Engineer who recovers from disruption at the beginning of a turn automatically clears a minefield.

Our logic is that if you're disrupted you can't clear a minefield and recovering at the beginning of a turn does not not nullify the fact you were disrupted at the time you would be considered to be clearing it.

Essentially we changed the order in the code - disruption recovery is done after minefield clearing not before as was the prior case.

So in your case you were disrupted at the point the minefield clearing check was done, subsequently the engineer rallied but is now in a minefield and is isolated accordingly. The engineer will now commence to clear the minefield and will clear it assuming it is not disrupted before the end of the turn.

No more gimme's for mine clearing...

Hope that answers your question?

David
12-01-2016, 06:16 PM,
But is the disruption rule that if isolated you can't recover disruption? I always thought it was. In which case, if the Engineer is isolated by reason of mines, and then gets disrupted, he would have to move out of the minefield before he could either recover from the disruption or clear the mines?
Peter
12-01-2016, 06:45 PM,
(12-01-2016, 06:16 PM)phoenix Wrote: But is the disruption rule that if isolated you can't recover disruption? I always thought it was. In which case, if the Engineer is isolated by reason of mines, and then gets disrupted, he would have to move out of the minefield before he could either recover from the disruption or clear the mines?
Peter

No, that is incorrect. You can recover disruption while isolated. It's harder as you will be dropped a morale level but being isolated will not block disruption recovery.

David
12-01-2016, 10:09 PM,
Ok. Thanks.
12-02-2016, 12:03 AM,
(12-01-2016, 04:46 PM)Strela Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 08:39 AM)Gris Wrote: Under the new 1.02 rules in PBK, should this engineer have an isolated status from the mines? The engineer recovered from disruption at the beginning of the turn and as far as I can tell, is in supply. It is a PBEM game with FOW, default optional rules, #0705_08 Cemetery at hex 17,8. The other units depicted are not isolated.

Hi Gris,

Yes, this is working as intended.

Essentially we took away what we though was an exploit - i.e. an Engineer who recovers from disruption at the beginning of a turn automatically clears a minefield.

Our logic is that if you're disrupted you can't clear a minefield and recovering at the beginning of a turn does not not nullify the fact you were disrupted at the time you would be considered to be clearing it.

Essentially we changed the order in the code - disruption recovery is done after minefield clearing not before as was the prior case.

So in your case you were disrupted at the point the minefield clearing check was done, subsequently the engineer rallied but is now in a minefield and is isolated accordingly. The engineer will now commence to clear the minefield and will clear it assuming it is not disrupted before the end of the turn.

No more gimme's for mine clearing...

Hope that answers your question?

David

Yes it does, thank you!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris