• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kudos to TOC FWWC
11-22-2016, 12:36 AM,
Kudos to TOC FWWC
After more that five years of researching WWI and well over a decade of wargaming I feel the need to express my sincere admiration for the work and splendid achievement of all those involved in bringing about this project to its fruitful completion in shape of F '14 and EP '14. Of course as s quite a number of you guys here I do hope for more, but even those two titles above alone is more than enough to make me content to say the least.

I must add that over the years I think I must have gotten my hands on virtually every game that covers WWI form variety of angles including such curiosities as "Diplomacy" etc., but neither of those has managed to get any close to FWWCs in terms of all of the qualities that make a wargame great and with such a handy system for setting up games against human opponents yet without simplifying terribly the situations known from history and turning them into nothing more than a generic background. I still find PzCs and MCs inspiring and challenging, but the fact is that with this step back in history the whole gaming system reached a new level of depth and experience with some truly amazing results.

To underline even more firmly what I have written above I have to recall that a few months ago I made some very incisive remarks n the Flanders campaign scenario off F '14, but now, just as I did that then, I would really like to accentuate very distinctly that I have been doing that all form the position of absolute awe and fascination. To me you simply nailed it in quite a number of instances.

About a decade ago when I first came across Tiller's wargames searching for something decent that would cover Market-Garden I deemed them crude, ugly and unappealing at first glance> However, since not all that glitters is gold and vice versa I gave it a chance - there must have been something in there indeed even at first encounter - and have never been disappointed. Something I cannot tell about my ways of playing them and my ability to master that.
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2016, 04:41 AM,
RE: Kudos to TOC FWWC
Thank you for your positive feedback, I also agree that these two titles are an excellent representation of the campaigns they depict and although of course nothing is perfect they really do give a feel of the historical period when you play them, WW1 will never match WW2 for interest amongst the general gaming community,  but anyone who is interested in learning about the events of WW1 will find these titles a joy to play.

Making the jump from PzC to FWWC can be tricky as although both series appear to be very similar they actually play out in very different ways, but as with all these games the fun is in the learning curve to become a more accomplished player, I have been lucky enough to have tested against such fine players as Volcano Man and Ricky B and to become a better player all I had to do was watch and learn. Big Grin

The third title of the series is in development so more fun to come.....................
11-22-2016, 06:19 AM,
I understand and more than warmly welcome the news, just don't give it up you guys as the rule has always been for me:

1. If I like a band they're going to split up (eg. Internecine), somebody's going to die ( eg. Death / Control Denied) or they decide to start to suck (quite a number of instances to mention)

2. I don't watch TV and TV series in particular, but once in a while they air something astonishingly decent, so to speak - then one day it's no more (eg. Threshold)

3. If I like a game there's little following and people somehow decide to move on or they're not interested / committed enough to carry on (Operation Flashpoint, Airborne Assault / Command Ops) or the designers / studios decide to start to suck (Jane's Studios with their JASF and all that right after splendid F/A - 18 E?)

4. Do I have to start about the girls/ women? ...

Well, that sort of stuff.

I'll buy anything that is FWWCs right away even if you somehow decided it should be the Gallipoli campaign ...
11-22-2016, 08:33 AM,
I agree with Burrough's comments - plus he's my opponent in a EP '14 campaign game, so I should stay on his good side. ;-) I have all the PzC and MC games and still enjoy them but in my opinion the FWWC games just "got it right".

Glad to hear that the 3rd game in the series is being worked on. I have images of the Austro-Hungarians and Russians fighting it out in Galicia.
11-24-2016, 06:22 PM,
Wow, thanks for the feedback guys. I missed the thread before as I got distracted over the past week with my job.

You cannot imagine how much it helps provide motivation for me to keep slogging through the trenches, tediously researching.  Actually, I do appreciate all type of feedback too, even critical, because over the years I do try to listen and tweak the scenarios where its practical to do so. I thank the community for that.

The third title is coming along, yes. It was much more ambitious than I thought, but that was true for the other two titles as well. It seems I am a glutton for punishment. That said, I want it to be perfect so it will take a while longer. Hopefully I can finish it up in the coming year. 

Waiting2
Send this user an email