• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sneak Peek
11-17-2016, 10:09 PM,
Sneak Peek
We're looking at replacing all the artwork across the current twenty one games that have been published. This is definitely not a task for the faint-hearted and is something we have been doing in our spare time while working on further Panzer Battle titles. This is not just a graphics upgrade but will also include Ed Williams Volcano mods alternate scenarios - so it's more of a relaunch of the series. Please note this is only for the JTS versions, though the unit images are interchangeable.

The current JTS versions of Panzer Campaigns use an early version of the 'small sized' Panzer Battles graphics. They were not at all to scale and the 'realistic' look didn't quite work.

Here is the current terrain set in Kharkov '43;
[Image: Post%2020161107_06.jpg]

Here is the same shot using a more 'map' like view. All the unit images, markers and counters across the series will be updated also. Please note all images that follow are WIP.
[Image: Post%2020161107_07.jpg]

Zoomed out view - Kharkov '43 (winter)
[Image: Post%2020161107_08.jpg]

Zoomed in view;
[Image: Post%2020161107_09.jpg]

Zoomed out 3D;
[Image: Post%2020161107_10.jpg]

Zoomed in 3D (I am going to try to do more with the counters);
[Image: Post%2020161107_11.jpg]

Here is another set of shots done for the earlier title, Kharkov '42. These show some summer shots. First one is the standard 2D view;
[Image: Post%2020161107_01.jpg]

Zoomed out 2D;
[Image: Post%2020161107_02.jpg]

Zoomed in 2D;
[Image: Post%2020161107_03.jpg]

Zoomed out 3D;
[Image: Post%2020161107_04.jpg]

Zoomed in 3D;
[Image: Post%2020161107_05.jpg]

As mentioned this is to cover all twenty one games that have been released and we would like to upgrade them all at the same time to ensure consistency. So please don't ask when it will be ready but it is moving along nicely.

Finally, for comparison we will continue with the 'realistic' top down look for Panzer Battles to differentiate that series. Here is Maleme from our recent blog series.
[Image: Post%2020160819_02.jpg]

David
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2016, 06:05 AM,
RE: Sneak Peek
Sounds like a fantastic project, really don't know when you get the time and energy................. Big Grin
11-18-2016, 06:07 AM,
(11-18-2016, 06:05 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Sounds like a fantastic project, really don't know when you get the time and energy................. Big Grin

Looks great. My eyes could use the help.
11-18-2016, 07:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2016, 07:58 AM by phoenix.)
Looks superb, David. Much more map-like. But - and this is a HUGE 'but' for me - in the 2d screens, are those hexes - those Jison type hexes (where there is no way you can get rid of the hex edges, because they are part of the hex itself, not a contour marking and not a hex edge) - going to be part of it? because I absolutely hate them. They are the reason I won't buy the WW1 titles - because you can't now get rid of the damn hexes (at least, not without some graphics modding). Why do they have to be there? They are most definitely NOT map-like or natural. I understand some people like their hexes, but others hate them - so why not leave them optional, as they are at present? The graphics are really important for me, for immersion, and if I thought I couldn't get rid of these hexes I wouldn't buy. Seriously.

If they are to be there, then can you at least say that the relevant parts of the 'map' folder (the 25, 50, and 100normal, mud, snow files etc) will at least be the same size and format as the current ones, so that I can swap the files out and get rid of the hexes?

Peter

Alternative Kharkov below: This is Warhorse's colours and terrain, with Jisons features. I love the towns and villages and forest in your new style (much more map-like) and would happily use that features file, but does not the hexless image below look more like a map? To get the hexes, if you need them, you only have to switch them on - you're not forced to have them. 

[Image: map.png]

Or, another example - a hexless Market Garden. Again, I would love to have your towns, villages and trees - they are fantastic, naturalistic, map-like. But as far as the terrain goes the map below looks more like a naturalistic map, no? And, again, if I need hexes and greater contour definition I can just switch on hexes and contours. It's good to have the choice. 

[Image: map%202.png]
11-18-2016, 01:43 PM,
Peter,

I think I can have a no hex version as an option. I know I have everything for the 'normal' hexes, I need to check what I did with the snow/mud etc.

David
11-18-2016, 04:45 PM,
Excellent news, David!

The Panzer Battles map cotourns are extremely intuitive, please use them for Panzer Campaigns.

Frankly, I never play with the 3D map. So would be great bigger hexes, something like the campaign series or JT napoleonic series if possible. Also a stagger scale of colors for altitudes in 3D.

Thanks
11-18-2016, 06:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2016, 06:06 PM by phoenix.)
Thanks, David. Phew! If the files are the same size (and same colour background?) then I could easily swap them myself with other variants, but I think preserving the choice might be good for sales as well. When these changes appear as updates then, in time, if you're playing PBEM games then you have to implement them otherwise you can't hook up with opponents on the latest patch.

The hex edges are less key because they are so simple to edit out, being the last row of edges on the file, and easily erased using the background colour, selected in paint, or RWP, as you recommended.

By the way, I think these beautiful town, village and forest graphics (the 'features' files) would work superbly in PB too. They would still give a better idea of the actual scale, I think.

Peter
11-18-2016, 06:56 PM,
David,

Great and beautiful art! Like very much. Really new life for the series.

Keep it coming.

Bests
11-18-2016, 08:51 PM,
David: Smoke7

Many thanks!  Big Grin

A map upgrade and available right out of the box has been a "dream" for many PzC gamers!

My eyes thank you VERY MUCH!  Wink
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-19-2016, 03:56 AM,
These look fantastic-much appreciated, thanks for all of the work it takes to make this happen!! Jon