• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Binocular Use in ME
11-15-2016, 01:20 AM,
Binocular Use in ME
I can't find it discussed anywhere, but is anyone else bothered by the inability to see what the enemy's line of sight is using the binocular button in ME? I think I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm finding it's one of those reality vs. enjoyment things. I play WF/EF mostly, so in going back and forth between the games it's becoming a standout annoyance for me. Seeing that CS will be going in the same direction, I thought I'd bring it up. Speak now or forever hold your peace, right?  Smile

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2016, 02:26 AM,
RE: Binocular Use in ME
(11-15-2016, 01:20 AM)Scud Wrote: I can't find it discussed anywhere, but is anyone else bothered by the inability to see what the enemy's line of sight is using the binocular button in ME? I think I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm finding it's one of those reality vs. enjoyment things. I play WF/EF mostly, so in going back and forth between the games it's becoming a standout annoyance for me. Seeing that CS will be going in the same direction, I thought I'd bring it up. Speak now or forever hold your peace, right?  Smile

Dave

Extreme Fog of War, only. But yes, that's the set up. 

I personally love it (obviously), makes recce so much more important imho.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-15-2016, 07:12 AM,
and more realistic
11-15-2016, 07:41 AM,
(11-15-2016, 07:12 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: and more realistic

Is it, though? If I get out my map and I see that around this hill I'm behind, a mile away there's a 6000 foot mountain and all the rest of the terrain is flat, can't I deduce that from the top of the mountain they can see me when I round the bend? Being as it's just a game, wouldn't it be a lot easier if I could just click the binocular button rather than rely on the topography class I never took in college?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-15-2016, 10:24 AM,
(11-15-2016, 07:41 AM)Scud Wrote:

Is it, though? If I get out my map and I see that around this hill I'm behind, a mile away there's a 6000 foot mountain and all the rest of the terrain is flat, can't I deduce that from the top of the mountain they can see me when I round the bend? Being as it's just a game, wouldn't it be a lot easier if I could just click the binocular button rather than rely on the topography class I never took in college?

Dave
Ahh, but that nails it right there. "can't I deduce"...  yes, you can mentally based on your experience with reading the map and capabilities. But can you go there in advance and confirm 100% what you deduced you will see?  Not until you actually get there.

So yes, it is more realistic indeed.
Send this user an email
11-15-2016, 08:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 08:13 PM by Big Ivan.)

Dave

Dave, you bring up another interesting point indirectly. Say your at ground level and can see 10 hexes max due to intermittent terrain. Visibility is set at 12 hexes for the scenario. Now wouldn't it be true that if you were 2-3 elevations higher above the intermittent terrain (ground level) you would be able to see farther? Say 14-16 hexes? I would think so but the visibility being set at 12 hexes prevents that. So in essence there is no advantage in getting on high ground other than rising above the ground clutter.
11-16-2016, 03:06 AM,

Dave

Well, gee wizz! Just shows ta' go ya' you shouldn'ta' been goofing off so much in college; drinking, dueling and the like! Propeller Hat
11-16-2016, 06:36 AM,
Again, it was designed as an Extreme Fog of War thing. No eyes on the ground - no LOS info available. It adds an element of uncertainty, and intentionally so.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-17-2016, 01:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2016, 01:24 AM by Scud.)
(11-16-2016, 03:06 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Well, gee wizz! Just shows ta' go ya' you shouldn'ta' been goofing off so much in college; drinking, dueling and the like! Propeller Hat

You just guessed my major!!
Send this user an email