• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

finding units on the map using find
10-25-2016, 03:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016, 03:51 AM by dukemat.)
finding units on the map using find
I wish it was easier to find HQ units on the map. searching for units is the same as any Tiller game. 

It would be nice if there was a pdf of the ob for correct naming when searching for a unit or co.

From a historical perspective a nice touch also would have been the names for the battalion co's. 

Those names are readily available if you search oob for Normandy on google.
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2016, 06:32 AM,
RE: finding units on the map using find
(10-25-2016, 03:48 AM)dukemat Wrote: I wish it was easier to find HQ units on the map. searching for units is the same as any Tiller game.

In the publicly released versions, you can find HQs by way of View > Highlight > Headquarters.

In the latest versions, currently in beta testing, there are two new methods for highlighting HQs:
  • a new toolbar button, clearly marked "HQ"
  • a new short cut key L

both of which have the same effect as View > Highlight > Headquarters.  So in the forthcoming releases, highlighting HQs will be as easy as mousing to the HQ button, else hitting the L key.

(Why L and not H or Q?  It's because those hot keys were already committed to other functions, H for ReacHable, and Q for Organization.)

Admittedly, this doesn't address the question of finding specific HQs by name.
10-25-2016, 06:56 AM,
(10-25-2016, 06:32 AM)berto Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 03:48 AM)dukemat Wrote: I wish it was easier to find HQ units on the map. searching for units is the same as any Tiller game.

In the publicly released versions, you can find HQs by way of View > Highlight > Headquarters.

In the latest versions, currently in beta testing, there are two new methods for highlighting HQs:
  • a new toolbar button, clearly marked "HQ"
  • a new short cut key L

both of which have the same effect as View > Highlight > Headquarters.  So in the forthcoming releases, highlighting HQs will be as easy as mousing to the HQ button, else hitting the L key.

(Why L and not H or Q?  It's because those hot keys were already committed to other functions, H for ReacHable, and Q for Organization.)

Admittedly, this doesn't address the question of finding specific HQs by name.
I am familiar with the HQ icon. I am speaking of finding a specific HQ by name. It would be nice if a pdf of the ob was included in game to aid in finding specific units and co's.
10-25-2016, 01:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM by Ricky B.)
(10-25-2016, 06:56 AM)dukemat Wrote: [quote pid='416049' dateline='1477341144']
I am familiar with the HQ icon. I am speaking of finding a specific HQ by name. It would be nice if a pdf of the ob was included in game to aid in finding specific units and co's.

dukemat, I think you are pretty well stuck with the OOB Editor to view the unit names, or opening the OOB file in a text editor - that would allow searching without case sensitivity at least. I have a very old (2003) scenario editor I created that works with PzC, MC and FWWC scenarios up to a point (it isn't any good at editing any longer as it corrupts scenarios on saving changes due to additional items being added in since I wrote it), and it includes a printable OOB as you would like to see. And it allows searching in a more normal pattern, not case sensitive for example. But I just tried it and it doesn't work with PzB - the data structures must be just enough different as there is no error, but it doesn't display anything from the scenario, either.

Rick

Attached Files
.zip   PzCDEdit.zip (Size: 368.17 KB / Downloads: 4)
[Image: exercise.png]
10-26-2016, 01:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 01:33 AM by dukemat.)
(10-25-2016, 01:38 PM)Ricky B Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 06:56 AM)dukemat Wrote: [quote pid='416049' dateline='1477341144']

dukemat, I think you are pretty well stuck with the OOB Editor to view the unit names, or opening the OOB file in a text editor - that would allow searching without case sensitivity at least. I have a very old (2003) scenario editor I created that works with PzC, MC and FWWC scenarios up to a point (it isn't any good at editing any longer as it corrupts scenarios on saving changes due to additional items being added in since I wrote it), and it includes a printable OOB as you would like to see. And it allows searching in a more normal pattern, not case sensitive for example. But I just tried it and it doesn't work with PzB - the data structures must be just enough different as there is no error, but it doesn't display anything from the scenario, either.

Rick

I usually do that (open the oob file in a text editor) for all my battles in every Tiller game. I make a pdf of whatever ob is used so I can find guys. It would be nice if the game did that for me. It's a bit of a pain to remove the data I don't really need to see.

dukemat

[/quote]