• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

When/how to assault?
10-12-2016, 02:04 AM,
When/how to assault?
It seems to me that even after I get the enemy unit pinned down and have his fire effectiveness reduced to nothing I still can't succeed in assaults. I even had this one squad of 9 men go against a pinned down enemy squad with very low efficiency but ended up getting slaughtered with losing 4 men on my side versus enemy's none. What am I doing wrong here?
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 03:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016, 03:07 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: When/how to assault?
Morale plays a large role in determining if you can take the hex, however losing a large number of men in the process indicates that you likely had a poor assault factor compared to the enemy.  Given that you had superior numbers and you wound up losing four men to the enemy's none, it sounds like you either had extremely bad luck or else there is a significant reason for the poor outcome.
  • Are you assaulting uphill?  I ask because I believe that halves your assault factor (e.g., your 9 men suddenly just equate to only 4.5 men) and this would be my best guess as to what is happening to you.  Avoiding uphill assaults is easily one of the most underappreciated element of assaults.  You need overwhelming numbers to assault uphill and it is best to avoid doing this if at all possible.
  • Are there any vehicles in the attacked hex?  The vehicle's armor rating plays a huge role in assaults.  (For instance, you can easily lose most of your men if you are foolish enough to try assaulting a M1 tank.)  
  • The state of your units also plays a significant role.  I believe the assault factor is halved for both Disrupted and Pinned units.  Which means even though your enemy's assault factor is halved due to being Pinned, yours would be as well if your units are Disrupted.
  • Also the weapons being carried can influence the outcome to a lesser degree (each type of weapon has a different assault rating).  For instance, I often find it very hard to assault enemy units that are carrying RPGs.
10-12-2016, 03:54 AM,
I was assaulting a protected village hex, and later found out that it was defended by 5 Japanese in a pinned down state and with a morale rating of E. My assault against those guys with a squad of 9 men and a morale rating of B failed miserably as I mentioned earlier. There were no RPGs (this is WWII) or vehicles in that hex whatsoever. And no it wasn't uphill. I guess just extremely bad luck? Lol
10-12-2016, 05:22 AM,
Yep, sounds like bad luck, which does happen - and happens at a greatly increasing rate if you don't attack with overwhelming odds. Here's a great article that gives some excellent clarification regarding assaults [in Squad Battles]:

https://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/...and-others
10-19-2016, 03:09 AM,
It was bad luck to some degree, although 9 men to 5 is less than a 2:1 ratio. Whenever I assault I try to go in closer to 3 to 4:1 attacker versus defender ratio. It's also best to have a leader with you during an assault, ups the chances of success, although also ups the chances of your leader getting whacked, though....

More men the better when it comes to assaulting.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4