• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Set up for France 14 team game questions
09-30-2016, 05:51 PM,
Set up for France 14 team game questions
Hi guys I was thinking of getting a team game of France 14 with some friends and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. How would I break up the teams? I'm guessing maybe two players for the Germans maybe 2 for the French and 1 for the British? Or adding even more players.
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2016, 12:31 AM,
RE: Set up for France 14 team game questions
Ace,
I played a 2 on 2 Battle of the Marne scenario and it was a blast. In the end notes of the F14 manual (or one of the documents, I forget which one) the designer talks about strategy and tactics for each army and then gives some multiplayer ideas. He suggests that to represent the chaos at the high command level of each side, have players command every other army.

So in our game, I commanded the German 1, 3 and 5 armies and my partner the 2 and 4 armies. The Entente did the same thing (I forget which armies were lined up where). So it creates a situation where each army has to negotiate with the other players to make sure its flanks are secure and that they coordinate on overall plan for the scenario. I hope my answer is clear.

Have fun!
10-01-2016, 02:12 AM,
(09-30-2016, 05:51 PM)Aces8 Wrote: Hi guys I was thinking of getting a team game of France 14 with some friends and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. How would I break up the teams? I'm guessing maybe two players for the Germans maybe 2 for the French and 1 for the British? Or adding even more players.

I don't think you want more than 5 players, not unless you are willing to wait weeks for a move. LOL
10-01-2016, 04:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016, 04:08 AM by Volcano Man.)
(09-30-2016, 05:51 PM)Aces8 Wrote: Hi guys I was thinking of getting a team game of France 14 with some friends and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. How would I break up the teams? I'm guessing maybe two players for the Germans maybe 2 for the French and 1 for the British? Or adding even more players.

Check the notes document on the specific scenario you want to play and it should break down suggestions on how to break the scenario up for team play (if it is a campaign type, or "large"/"huge" scenario). If not, then just try to take the highest level organizations and give one to each player with some players having more than one as necessary.
Send this user an email
10-01-2016, 04:18 AM,
Not sure which campaign scenario you are considering, but in his notes Ed suggests...............

"A PBEM team based game could consist of three (Allied) versus two (German), with Allied players consisting of 1# [Belgian Army], #2 [BEF], #3 [French Army (with additional players splitting up the French forces)], and the German team should consist of #1 [1.Armee & 5.Armee & 6.Armee], #2 [2.Armee & 3.Armee & 4.Armee], with additional players splitting up the forces from there but, for the sake of historical accuracy, 1.Armee and 2.Armee should not be controlled by the same player in a team based game and overall command should not fall under the player that controls 1.Armee. "

And Jonny is correct, the more players you have the longer each turn potentially takes, each group of players need to be willing to play a fellow players segment to keep the turns flowing when players are busy or on vacation/holiday. Wink
10-01-2016, 07:47 AM,
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was thinking Marne or the early campaign. I think I will suggest starting the Marne scenario to see how it goes.
10-06-2016, 12:16 PM,
Greetings.

Two players here (Tom and Johnny) who will sign up to play the Germans. Our suggestion is to play the Early Campaign with default optional rules. Three on three would be best because it reduces the workload, making it easier to play turns faster. Fewer players makes for a longer turn, especially when playing the French (defense) which is more difficult. We tried a four (German) on two (Allies) game and it took three to four hours to play the French armies. If you are game, we have three players and require only three more to begin. The goal would be to play two or three turns per week. What do you say?

We suggest assigning the Germans like this:
Player 1 - 1st and 4th Armees,
Player 2 - 2nd and 5th Armees,
Player 3 - 3rd and 6th Armees. So we would require a third player on this team
OHL formations are commanded by the most experienced player of the three, who is overall commander of German armies.

We suggest assigning the Allies like this:
Player 4 - Belgians and 3rd French Army
Player 5 - BEF and 4th French Army
Player 6 - Fifth and 2nd French Armies.
GQG formations are commanded by the most experienced player of the three, who is overall commander of French armies. Belgians and BEF march to their own drummer.
Send this user an email
10-06-2016, 12:43 PM,
(10-06-2016, 12:16 PM)tquinn Wrote: Greetings.

Two players here (Tom and Johnny) who will sign up to play the Germans. Our suggestion is to play the Early Campaign with default optional rules. Three on three would be best because it reduces the workload, making it easier to play turns faster. Fewer players makes for a longer turn, especially when playing the French (defense) which is more difficult. We tried a four (German) on two (Allies) game and it took three to four hours to play the French armies. If you are game, we have three players and require only three more to begin. The goal would be to play two or three turns per week. What do you say?

We suggest assigning the Germans like this:
Player 1 - 1st and 4th Armees,
Player 2 - 2nd and 5th Armees,
Player 3 - 3rd and 6th Armees. So we would require a third player on this team
OHL formations are commanded by the most experienced player of the three, who is overall commander of German armies.

We suggest assigning the Allies like this:
Player 4 - Belgians and 3rd French Army
Player 5 - BEF and 4th French Army
Player 6 - Fifth and 2nd French Armies.
GQG formations are commanded by the most experienced player of the three, who is overall commander of French armies. Belgians and BEF march to their own drummer.
The early Campaign could take years. The 30 turn Marne seems like a blast. jonny Big Grin
10-06-2016, 11:58 PM,
30 turn Marne is a blast--lots of tension and bloody as hell.