• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat Mission Anthology & Windows 8.1
09-05-2016, 05:23 AM,
Combat Mission Anthology & Windows 8.1
I am interested in playing the three original Combat Mission games.  I found the Combat Mission Anthology which bundles all three on Ebay.  But, I am concerned whether or not they will play on Windows 8.1.  I have attempted to contact a representative from Battlefront on their web site but have never received a response.  So, I am asking fellow players if anyone knows the answer.  If these will not work what is the next best alternative with Combat Mission games?  I am particularly interested in refighting the battles of the Afrika Korps and on the Eastern Front.  I appreciate any and all help and suggestions.
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 04:24 AM,
RE: Combat Mission Anthology & Windows 8.1
(09-05-2016, 05:23 AM)onesixthsoldier Wrote: I am interested in playing the three original Combat Mission games.  I found the Combat Mission Anthology which bundles all three on Ebay.  But, I am concerned whether or not they will play on Windows 8.1.  I have attempted to contact a representative from Battlefront on their web site but have never received a response.  So, I am asking fellow players if anyone knows the answer.  If these will not work what is the next best alternative with Combat Mission games?  I am particularly interested in refighting the battles of the Afrika Korps and on the Eastern Front.  I appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Hi,
It will work with a few caveats.  

1. Run the installer for each game by right clicking and "Run as administrator".  Install the games is a user folder, say under Documents.
2. Install the "Vista" patches for CMBB and CMAK (Battlefront site).  They cost $5 each, but are well worth it.  One side advantage is you wont need to have the CDs in to start the game.
3. Set "Run as administrator" and "Compatibility Mode" in the properties of the launch icon.  For compatibility OS, I think "Windows XP" works.
4. This may be more Windows 10 - but if you get very poor performance, you may need to "Set affinity" to keep the game running on a single processor. (After game launch: Task manager->Detail tab->right click on game->set affinity->check only one of the CPU)

Hope this helps; have fun, they are great games.
Erik
Quote this message in a reply