• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ship battles.
08-02-2016, 04:18 AM,
Ship battles.
Here's a query. Do you think a battle on the sea scenario could be made? If so, why has not one been made? I don't have the skills needed to produce one.

I was thinking ship to ship battles(one of the great Pacific encounters). battle ships in the Atlantic Ocean.

Again I don't know even if JTCS will allow for one. But I can dream!
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2016, 04:41 AM,
RE: Ship battles.
(08-02-2016, 04:18 AM)zap Wrote: Here's a query. Do you think a battle on the sea scenario could be made? If so, why has not one been made? I don't have the skills needed to produce one.

I was thinking ship to ship battles(one of the great Pacific encounters). battle ships in the Atlantic Ocean.

Again I don't know even if JTCS will allow for one. But I can dream!

I think it will not be a problem with the current gaming engine
a war ship will be a hard target with direct and indirect fire options
how an aircraft carrier with aircraft will operate is probably a big challenge
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM,
Adding ships to a land-based tactical game already proved the limits of this series.
There are a ton of ship against ship games out there?

HSL
08-02-2016, 11:37 AM,
(08-02-2016, 11:06 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Adding ships to a land-based tactical game already proved the limits of this series.

HSL
Is this really the direction that we want to go with this game?
08-02-2016, 03:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM by Jason Petho.)
There is nothing stopping you from creating a scenario that has ship versus ship action. Doing so will reveal to you that wasn't their original intention though as you will notice distinct drawbacks.

On map ships were included as offshore bombardment platforms where the offmap option for scenarios wasn't practical or available.
Send this user an email
08-02-2016, 03:21 PM,
I didn't know ships were strange to JTCS. I've played 3 or 4 scenarios where there are frigates or landing craft with fire firing guns. A question I had was based on those ships.

So making a scenario with battling ships goes against the concept of the game. But hypothetically, could a scenario like that work with the present game system. Would the mechanics work?
08-02-2016, 03:32 PM,
(08-02-2016, 03:21 PM)zap Wrote: I didn't know ships were strange to JTCS. I've played 3 or 4 scenarios where there are frigates or landing craft with fire firing guns. A question I had was based on those ships.

So making a scenario with battling ships goes against the concept of the game. But hypothetically, could a scenario like that work with the present game system. Would the mechanics work?

Yes, it would work.

As described above, the guns will work as artillery does.
Send this user an email
08-03-2016, 09:28 PM,
(08-02-2016, 11:37 AM)Schwerpunkt75 Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 11:06 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Adding ships to a land-based tactical game already proved the limits of this series.

HSL
Is this really the direction that we want to go with this game?
no for me is CS an instant battlefield with the resources you have available to win the battle on the battlefield you have no influence on what happens before and after