• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery glitch ???
07-17-2016, 11:18 AM,
Artillery glitch ???
I noticed this during a small CMFB game:

This infantry team has no radio according to its control panel.  And none of the men have a radio on their back.  

[Image: inf01.jpg]

But he is able to call up the artillery menu and request fire!    

[Image: inf02.jpg]

Probably just a glitch that does not show that he has a radio?    But if I hadn't tried to open the artillery menu just out of curiosity I never would have noticed.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2016, 12:58 PM,
RE: Artillery glitch ???
(07-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Jobu88 Wrote: I noticed this during a small CMFB game:

This infantry team has no radio according to its control panel.  And none of the men have a radio on their back.  

[Image: inf01.jpg]

But he is able to call up the artillery menu and request fire!    

[Image: inf02.jpg]

Probably just a glitch that does not show that he has a radio?    But if I hadn't tried to open the artillery menu just out of curiosity I never would have noticed.

It is a 2IC team and like some XO teams they have artillery call rights even with no back pack radio.  It is a game mechanic that is often referred to as the field telephone abstraction.  It's specifically the rank of the individual that gives him artillery calling rights (for arty that does not require an F/O).  So if a unit has an individual of sufficient rank the unit can call in artillery.  If that individual is KIA the unit will lose the ability to call in fire support.  Think of field telephones , runners etc...  
07-17-2016, 01:53 PM,
(07-17-2016, 12:58 PM)MOS_96B Wrote: It is a 2IC team and like some XO teams they have artillery call rights even with no back pack radio.  It is a game mechanic that is often referred to as the field telephone abstraction.  It's specifically the rank of the individual that gives him artillery calling rights (for arty that does not require an F/O).  So if a unit has an individual of sufficient rank the unit can call in artillery.  If that individual is KIA the unit will lose the ability to call in fire support.  Think of field telephones , runners etc...  

I must have missed that in the game manual.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
07-17-2016, 04:44 PM,
Page 33
To The LAST Man, with the LAST round ... We FIGHT!!![Image: CM.png]
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." ~ Napoleon
07-18-2016, 01:15 AM,
To be fair neither the game manual or engine manual go into much detail beyond the basics.  I originally learned about this arty game mechanic by reading posts from womble and akd over at the BFC forum.  I then tested it and now have also experienced it many times in PBEM games.  

That's what makes the various forums dedicated to Combat Missions so invaluable.  Without them it would be a very difficult & steep learning curve to figure out all the intricacies of the game.