• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

N44 question
06-18-2016, 08:31 AM,
Help  N44 question
I still love PzC but I am very frustrated with one scenario.  How the heck do you get off the beaches at Omaha as the US?!  Playing the 9 turn scenario and it just seems that the ships, artillery and aircraft are virtually worthless vs pillboxes and bunkers.  Whey even have them?   From my 2 recent play-throughs it seems the only way is by bloody (and I mean bloody) assaults.  I do realize we are talking about Omaha Beach so I know it is not an easy one but historically they did it.  You need 800 points for a marginal victory and the best I've managed is about 350.  I know there is a way but I am not seeing it now.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.
Tod K
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2016, 05:57 PM,
RE: N44 question
I don't have N44 so I cant point to specifics........

In my memory this has been discussed a few times and maybe a search of old threads might turn up those  discussions, but from my memory it was a combination of air/arty fire, assaults and a bit of luck on certain bunkers, once one falls the whole line starts to crumble.

Taking bunkers/pillbox's is not easy and requires patience and skill, because they don't feature in any numbers in many titles it is a skill that many players (including me) rarely have to practise.

I have a feeling that in the VM _alt scenario version of this scenario he made some tweaks to help the situation providing you used the correct tactics.
06-18-2016, 07:42 PM,
RE: N44 question
One of the keys is if the fortification type is in caps or lower case - iirc lower case indicates damaged fortifications which are something like half effective.  

Also the key is going to be disrupting the German infantry in a hex -the guns, even if in good order are not going to be nearly enough to keep a close assault from succeeding.

One thing that I do is I look for the weaker of the fortifications  (if memory serves - bunkers are not as strong as pillboxes).

As the turns go by you don't have to bring everything on to the beach (and in fact you probably ought not to) - you might also opt to keep your infantry units broken down (and maybe focus on one or two, possibly three areas) to direct all of your supporting fire at. You only think that it is ineffective - because once you degrade the fortification itself then you are on your way to a breach. I don't think that I even do much firing from hexes that I am planning on making my close assault - in that it will limit the amount of defensive fire that you'll receive back. In fact it is possible that the Germans might end up getting disrupted by return defensive fire from the American forces themselves.

The last few times I have only played Ed's version - which I think is probably tougher than the stock Omaha scenarios (leastwise they are different in terms of terrain, defenses, and strength points).

I guess if I had to sum it up - focus on the German infantry; disrupt them, then follow this with an assault. Focus your efforts on a few areas -probably those that are exposed to the most hexes that you have forces on.
Send this user an email