• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Forum Fodder...Dan's Haiku Corner Version 3.0
05-22-2016, 04:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016, 04:45 AM by zap.)
RE: Forum Fodder...Dan's Haiku Corner Version 3.0
(05-22-2016, 04:02 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 03:14 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: I like the new CSME especially the new modern military units but the Middle East conflict is a little too thin soup for me I think a new series of the Cold War in Europe becomes hot is the future much of the work that is done with ME can continued here

Thin soup in what sense?

NATO War is on the radar, most definitely and certain OOB's created for CSME will be able to ported to CSNW when we get there, by design.

Jason Petho

I see the Middle East battles as a regional war.  No major powers were involved which could lead to outbreak of WWIII.  Also if I'm not mistaken Israel outclassed its enemies, causing lopsided battles. If today there was an outbreak in the same region it might have additional players involved.
I should add that Vietnam would interest me more even though regional the number of troops and different players involved gave it a sense of a more critical battle.
Your sense in A NATO Europe war with many major powers involved and escalation means WWIII. Forces, and battle possibilities
gives this game a war result which are unclear as to there outcome.
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2016, 04:45 AM,
(05-07-2016, 10:51 PM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Hello Blitzers:

Time for another well meant diatribe.
As always feel free to call me on every detail...but be kind...I'm off my meds...

First of all...I log in and this RED DEVIL guy seems to have reincarnated!
I don't believe we've met?...you scare me...you are enthusiastic...
Nice to see you talking up the forums.

Things are quieter on the forums these days, but rest assured a lot of us are head down and killing, with little time for chat.

SO

Why can't I unload my LST's/LCVP's, etc., into DEEP WATER?
Yes...it would be stupid...but the game graciously prevents you from doing this.
This is the same game that will perversely run you into a minefield or a blocked hex to teach you humility.
It would seem the spirit of the CS game (which punishes you for movement errors) would allow idiots to unload in deep water and sink the unit?
Yes, I am that idiot.

AND

Why can't engineers blow LOW stone walls?
(I believe Jason is working on this one as it's effecting his brilliant new scenario depicting Operation Sea Lion)
(It also effects my not so brilliant old saw-nario The Longest Day...and countless other scenarios...but you don't hear me bitching...lol...)
You could really extend this to include bocage.
Seems like a well placed satchel charge could remove some grapevines pretty handily?
And to go off the rails with it...why can't they demolish a pillbox or bunker after it's been taken from the enemy?

FURTHERMORE

Is it possible to eliminate the strength value / transport value for COMMANDERS?
I.E., a commander with a 4 rating on foot requires a 4 strength jeep to be carried.
While commanders seem to gain hubris at an exponential rate as they climb, I don't believe that carries weight?
Patton's ego may have taken an extra jeep to carry...

LASTLY

The KING TIGER still  appears to have a 12 hex hard target range while the TIGER has 16.  We've had this discussion before and this is not any attempt to stir up "what was a realistic shot" debate.  I think everyone is aware the game in general allows longer shots than what was historically accurate.  What is true however, the KING had the superior 88mm main gun and it should get remedied?

I think Jason was going to help fix this, maybe it fell through the cracks?

As always, this is only meant to stir up some nice debate.
I've got another 413 or so topics to talk about but for now...

Keep killing.

Dan

LOL Your right Dan he is a little Red Devil but in my opinion a good little Red Devil played him many times playing him now.He likes to stir it a bit but no harm or offence meant.
05-22-2016, 06:14 AM,
There are a number of reasons for moving to the new model.

1. There is no financial motivation for the current team (which is brand new since the Matrix edition of CS, except me) to continue to update the game. I don't believe too many people like working for free, especially when development work is extremely time consuming.

2. The current engine is beyond the update capabilities of MCS. It's an old engine and is showing its age. The planned upgrades for the Campaign Series will not be possible with the existing structure and engine.

3. We're a much smaller core team than Talonsoft had for development. This means we're limited to what we can reasonably accomplish and the scope of which that can done.

4. With Sliterine in charge (Matrix was purchased by them a few years ago and most, if not all, of Matrix upper management went on to other pastures), I don't see bundling again in the near or long term future. At least not under my watch.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-22-2016, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016, 06:22 AM by Jason Petho.)
(05-22-2016, 04:16 AM)zap Wrote: I see the Middle East battles as a regional war.  No major powers were involved which could lead to outbreak of WWIII.

No major powers are involved in the CSME as it is intended to be a historical simulation of many key campaigns/wars. The equipment of the major powers, on the other hand, is prevelant and is what makes the various battles rather interesting, especially when you keep in mind that the game spans nearly four decades of equipment evolution.

With the initial release of historical scenarios, each update is also including a number of what-if scenarios allowing for a wide variety of different tactical situations and ahistorical match-ups.

(05-22-2016, 04:16 AM)zap Wrote: Also if I'm not mistaken Israel outclassed its enemies, causing lopsided battles.

Many of the lopsided battles are actually not portrayed. I focused on the ones where both sides had a chance of winning, depending on their skills on the battlefield, how they used the terrain and how they used the equipment. This is the biggest challenge for someone coming into the CSME game from the World War 2 series, and it is why I recommend playing the early battles and moving up to the later battles.
Send this user an email
05-22-2016, 06:27 AM,
(05-22-2016, 04:02 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 03:14 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: I like the new CSME especially the new modern military units but the Middle East conflict is a little too thin soup for me I think a new series of the Cold War in Europe becomes hot is the future much of the work that is done with ME can continued here

Thin soup in what sense?

NATO War is on the radar, most definitely and certain OOB's created for CSME will be able to ported to CSNW when we get there, by design.

Jason Petho

Bottom line the work with ME, I can only admire, then my taste for soup can be subordinate, I am pleased to hear the plans with NATO versus the Warsaw Pact
05-22-2016, 08:54 AM,
(05-22-2016, 02:21 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Your dream came true, Ed.

We stopped messing with your game.

You're welcome.

Actually I will be happy too :-)
As far as bundling goes I could care less if the games are separate....actually I prefer it that way I don't have to load games like RS and ME or Vietnam which I could not care less about. To me CS was and always will be EF and WF. Anything else just adds excess loaded space on my comp.
05-22-2016, 10:29 AM,
(05-22-2016, 02:21 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Your dream came true, Ed.

We stopped messing with your game.

You're welcome.

You can stuff your sarcasm. I expected a punk answer. Thank you
What you are about to do should bring a pox on your house. Lighting2

Being the forum moderator puts you in a power position, so I'll mind what I say for what I really want to say.

Farmer

HSL
05-22-2016, 11:10 AM,
Ed, relax. Jason, my apologies, I was just taken a little by surprise. It's all good, I know you guys put a lot into it.

Anyone want to add something to this thread, feel free, but remember to keep it civil, please. Just opinions. Otherwise I'll have to close the thread.

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-22-2016, 11:36 AM,
(05-22-2016, 06:21 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 04:16 AM)zap Wrote: I see the Middle East battles as a regional war.  No major powers were involved which could lead to outbreak of WWIII.

No major powers are involved in the CSME as it is intended to be a historical simulation of many key campaigns/wars. The equipment of the major powers, on the other hand, is prevelant and is what makes the various battles rather interesting, especially when you keep in mind that the game spans nearly four decades of equipment evolution.

With the initial release of historical scenarios, each update is also including a number of what-if scenarios allowing for a wide variety of different tactical situations and ahistorical match-ups.

(05-22-2016, 04:16 AM)zap Wrote: Also if I'm not mistaken Israel outclassed its enemies, causing lopsided battles.

Many of the lopsided battles are actually not portrayed. I focused on the ones where both sides had a chance of winning, depending on their skills on the battlefield, how they used the terrain and how they used the equipment. This is the biggest challenge for someone coming into the CSME game from the World War 2 series, and it is why I recommend playing the early battles and moving up to the later battles.

I understand that it is a historical accounting. I was pointing out why I have not been interested in the title. WWII is still my cup of tea. Many have been enjoying CSME. I'll be there to support new a CS when East /West front when they come out. By the way I don't like RS too much. I'm just strange that way with what I like.
05-22-2016, 09:17 PM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Forum Fodder...Dan's Haiku Corner Version 3.0
I still have all three of my original manuals, where I bought each game individually.. The Bundle package was just a resell effort with a small patching. Whistle
Soap Box Soap Box Soap Box Soap Box Soap Box
 The real changes to this game occurred when Jason and others, put their own time and effort into trying to  "freshen" up an old car.. Now many of us are set in our ways... we all are passionate for what we love... Change bothers many because it upsets the balance of things, new methods to our old ways must be discovered and re-sterilized into our routines and that takes away the intimate pleasures of what we used to have. Individuals have a tendency to resist because it is in our nature to adapt and let it be once we have found that Utopian space.

I like a little change, a patch here, a patch there, just to fix the missed stat or picture corrected.. Major code changes are always leaning towards the wants of a few who have convinced someone it would be better for everyone without really talking to everyone (kinda like US politics)*** This is my Anti political statement within*** or just taking advantage of the majority of  fresh players wanting more than they have gotten, whilst the older players are satisfied and just wanting a patch.

I have nothing against what I have seen in the recent changes thus far with the 2.0 version..  But I haven't played in quite some time either, so everything is simply copacetic for me, as I honestly have little memory of what used to be. I do agree the hidden shooter adds a mystery, I have second thoughts on how this affects older scenarios that were designed without this feature in mind, just as many other "features" were included that now change many favorites into  deadwood.

Jason and cohorts, I feel you took what you could and showed matrix what you fellows could do, to get where you are now, an opportunity to redo the entire system and make CS into what many have wished for. I don't think you fellows owe anyone apologies for what you've done to "our" game. I do think you guys are awesome and very deserving of credit. BUT I honestly feel you all should have approached those game company bastards with a whole new game design earlier and left the CS system to it's fate. Again, a patch for mistakes now and than when we old feckers find them, and Run with the real meat of your plans... the dogs of war will chase you guys whether you smell like steak or AXE deodorant. we really do love you guys and I'm sure many are still  deep down loving you for all you've done for us here. People aren't stupid, they're just passionate, JUST LIKE YOU, Bro. Propeller Hat

What's it cost to have somebody go in and correct the CS codes that need fixed? I know no one works for free
and none deserve to be giving skills for free.. passion, love of the game, friendship, cookies, or cash whatever it takes to make something wrong right and to be known that you have stamped your name in the stones of memories for many...well, maybe that's what's wrong with this world but life goes on and we'll all be full circle soon and none of it matter as long as it made somebody rich, richer.

we all are of one....  a rare breed... nobody will ever take away that unity, however twisted or dysfunctional, that we have as Blitz men. Jester

Cheers all!
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard