• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The problem with fences in hedgerows / stonewalls.
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2016, 05:56 PM by noob.)
My 2 Cents  The problem with fences in hedgerows / stonewalls.
While setting up as the Allies for the CMBN battle CW Ubique, I noticed how it was impossible for either side to move through areas bounded with hedgerows / stone walls without destroying a fence.

Because both sides can see where a fence used to be, then both sides have the luxury of being able to track each others vehicle movement without having to spot them with troops.

Consequently, I have removed the fences in the game I am playing, and I would advise anyone else to do the same when necessary.
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2016, 05:23 PM,
RE: The problem with fences in hedgerows / stonewalls.
Yeah, that's a limitation of the game engine. Destroying fences or blowing a hole in hedgerows/buildings with a demo charge will be instantly visible to your opponent, even though he doesn't have los to the area.
Send this user an email
04-22-2016, 01:52 PM,
The game is FAR from perfect but one of the best tactical simulations out there - so yeah, you got to accept these limitations to some extent. Took me a while to realize that. Helmet Wink
04-22-2016, 07:11 PM,
(04-22-2016, 01:52 PM)Das Morbo Wrote: The game is FAR from perfect but one of the best tactical simulations out there - so yeah, you got to accept these limitations to some extent. Took me a while to realize that. Helmet Wink

Fortunately it's easy enough to remove the relevant fences in the editor prior to the game.
04-22-2016, 11:24 PM,
There is a trick you can do to help mitigate that FOW limitation. Tanks and other vehicles can actually move through a gate without destroying the fence. I have not tried it with a wall yet - I keep forgetting. To do it they have to go through the centre of the gate and very close to straight through. So if you plot a way point near the gate centred on one side and another centred on the other side they can make it through without wrecking the gate section of the fence.

In some scenarios it can make a huge difference. I love it when a hack counter acts a limitation :)
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
04-25-2016, 11:14 AM,
(04-18-2016, 05:03 PM)noob Wrote: While setting up as the Allies for the CMBN battle CW Ubique, I noticed how it was impossible for either side to move through areas bounded with hedgerows / stone walls without destroying a fence.

Because both sides can see where a fence used to be, then both sides have the luxury of being able to track each others vehicle movement without having to spot them with troops.

Consequently, I have removed the fences in the game I am playing, and I would advise anyone else to do the same when necessary.

you can also use it to your advantage by "bluffing your vehicle movement", tricking your opponent into thinking he knows where the vehicles/tanks are Big Grin2

remember "sand people always travel in single file to hide their numbers".