• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Destroying defending units
03-27-2016, 07:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016, 08:28 AM by Freyr Oakenshield.)
Destroying defending units
What's your opinion on the dificulty of dealing with units on defence?

I mean I have the impression that there must be some sort of error in the engine since it's extremely hard (impossible?) to do that. For example, I'm playing FitE with an opponent at the moment. It's turn 30 and they still haven't taken Oddessa. And I don't think it has anything to do with player skills. I remember having the same problems when playing FitE in the past against someone else and trying to deal with German entenched units in 1942. Besides, the bloody arty doesn't seem to help at all... Or at least I can't see any significant difference... It's a bit like fortified unites were invincible...

What's your impressions?

edit:

Or maybe it's just the FitE scenario and its settings; frankly, I haven't been playing anything else for a long time...
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2016, 11:56 PM,
RE: Destroying defending units
Usually, surrounding and evaporating is the best method. As long as there is a line of supply (and its infinite in TOAW) and he uses ignore losses, you are in for a nightmare. Also, if he puts a stug in the hex, its even worst. (these are all idiosyncrasies of the engine that can be usefully exploited by a defender).
03-31-2016, 11:34 PM,
Make sure you're not playing the old 3.4 version of the game when even the Blitzkrieg was reduced to the WWI style trench warfare by the bug with the insane bonus for an entrenched low proficiency defender.
04-03-2016, 01:27 AM,
I'm playing FitE with Opart 3XBb at the moment; but we used vanilla Opart v3.4.1.9 for the first ten turns or something and switched over after that. Anyway, I can't say I can see any real difference in how battles are resolved...