• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kharkov’43.. Enjoying it a lot.. some suggestions..
03-21-2016, 07:49 AM,
Kharkov’43.. Enjoying it a lot.. some suggestions..
Kharkov’43..  Enjoying it a lot..  some suggestions..

Hi,
Have returned to PzC and Kharkov’43 with the 1.03 patch and am enjoying it a lot. Am somewhat surprised because over the years I keep writing it off as too slow a system, but no it does operations very well. Keeps being gently tweaked and improved.
They may already be hidden somewhere in the game. Or been considered and rejected.. but no matter.. my first thoughts not really knowing the game as it’s now too well yet.

Anyway.. have couple of suggestions.
  1. When you save the MPs to allow a Fire, then hit the button to show where you can move it would be helpful is the area to can move to was shaded to indicate not just the area to can to and save 1/3 of your MPs to Fire but also the area that would still save 2/3 of your MPs so assault was an option. With buttons pushed the hexes you can move to and still assault or Fire would be totally unshaded. The area you could move to and still save 1/3 of your MPs and therefore Fire would be very lightly shaded.  With darker shading areas used now still there indicating you cannot move to at all and even Fire. i.e. blocked from moving to.
  2. When digging in there should be no penalty if attacked or you order an attack other than that your unit is not yet dug in. Units in high intensity war would if in the front line and sometimes further back deploy to defensive positions and start to dig in every time. If attacked would stop digging in and use their weapons. While taking cover as best they could. If a warning order to attack came through would start to organise whether dug in or not the same way.  I am not sure the fact that they were digging in would change anything or slow them down?
  3. Have an option that if selected means once you use Assault anywhere with your forces you can no longer use Fire or Movement for any of your units that turn. With the default, normal way of playing where there is just the one turn each it would help to add a little time sequencing. You could go down you line doing all the Fire and Movement, then just Assaults if you have any planned. .  
Great game..
Thanks.
All the best,
Kip.
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2016, 04:49 PM,
RE: Kharkov’43.. Enjoying it a lot.. some suggestions..
(03-21-2016, 07:49 AM)kipanderson Wrote: Kharkov’43..  Enjoying it a lot..  some suggestions..

Hi,
Have returned to PzC and Kharkov’43 with the 1.03 patch and am enjoying it a lot. Am somewhat surprised because over the years I keep writing it off as too slow a system, but no it does operations very well. Keeps being gently tweaked and improved.
They may already be hidden somewhere in the game. Or been considered and rejected.. but no matter.. my first thoughts not really knowing the game as it’s now too well yet.

Anyway.. have couple of suggestions.
  1. When you save the MPs to allow a Fire, then hit the button to show where you can move it would be helpful is the area to can move to was shaded to indicate not just the area to can to and save 1/3 of your MPs to Fire but also the area that would still save 2/3 of your MPs so assault was an option. With buttons pushed the hexes you can move to and still assault or Fire would be totally unshaded. The area you could move to and still save 1/3 of your MPs and therefore Fire would be very lightly shaded.  With darker shading areas used now still there indicating you cannot move to at all and even Fire. i.e. blocked from moving to.
  2. When digging in there should be no penalty if attacked or you order an attack other than that your unit is not yet dug in. Units in high intensity war would if in the front line and sometimes further back deploy to defensive positions and start to dig in every time. If attacked would stop digging in and use their weapons. While taking cover as best they could. If a warning order to attack came through would start to organise whether dug in or not the same way.  I am not sure the fact that they were digging in would change anything or slow them down?
  3. Have an option that if selected means once you use Assault anywhere with your forces you can no longer use Fire or Movement for any of your units that turn. With the default, normal way of playing where there is just the one turn each it would help to add a little time sequencing. You could go down you line doing all the Fire and Movement, then just Assaults if you have any planned. .  
Great game..
Thanks.
All the best,
Kip.

Kip,

Firstly welcome to the board!

Thanks for your suggestions - many of these have merit. I'll talk to the rest of the team to see which maybe applicable for any future titles/patches.

Thanks,

David
03-23-2016, 08:33 PM,
Interesting suggestions! And yes, it´s an excellent game.
03-25-2016, 08:23 AM,
David, Pepe, hi,

glad you found the suggestions worth making.

No. 3) is the one that matters most to me, and of course that I use anyway in that I play that way. Helps introduce some pretence of a consistent timeline for all your units across the battlefield. While still just one player turn per game turn.

But all will have their favoured way to play. All in the eye of the beholder.

All the best,
kip.
04-03-2016, 12:16 AM,
Hi,

Am greatly enjoying this game system now.. after twenty years of half-hearted efforts to get into it.. ; ).

One more very obvious tweak that would help is to subdivide morale and quality ratings. Currently they are of course the same, C or B or E.. and so on. Resulting in percentage modifiers to a range of capabilities.

The two often go together. But not always. The classic example is of course the Eastern Front. Where from the off the Soviets were a match for the Germans in morale even though during the first half of the war far less well trained. Some rating such as Assault should be effected by both morale and experience. But many factors currently effected by Quality/Morale are either morale or experience factors but not both.

I change all units in Eastern Front games to C or B for elite units Quality/Morale for both sides and then use the excellent, specific modifiers for say artillery setup and indirect fire, supply and such to downgrade the Soviets where they were poorer performers in the real world. In winter ‘42/’43 anyway.

But two specific ratings, morale and then experience/training normally effecting different capabilities would be better.

All the best,
Kip.