• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

East Prussia '14 update 1.02 now available!
03-17-2016, 07:19 AM,
RE: East Prussia '14 update 1.02 now available!
(03-12-2016, 11:48 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Thanks for the kind words. The quest for perfection never ends..... ;)

Indeed, I just wish we had enough time to re-test (and if required) tweak even more scenarios before the patch was released, but as always so much to do in so little time. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2016, 10:54 AM,
(03-17-2016, 07:19 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 11:48 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Thanks for the kind words. The quest for perfection never ends..... ;)

Indeed, I just wish we had enough time to re-test (and if required) tweak even more scenarios before the patch was released, but as always so much to do in so little time. Wink

There is always the next update. Big Grin
Send this user an email
03-23-2016, 05:54 AM,
About the fatigue reduction.
The manual reflects this on page 67 but what about page 86/87, there it's written:

"• 6 for platoon and uncombined company units.
• 4 for combined company units consisting of 2 subunits.
• 2 for battalions and combined company units consisting of 3 or more
subunits."

Shouldn't these also be

And while I mention fatigue, I see 2 different calculations when it comes to gaining fatigue:
p. 67
"Losses taken from fire and from defending in assault range randomly from 0 up
to the factor times the loss value, in men equivalent."

p. 86
"Fatigue results are calculated as random values between the casualty value
and a fatigue factor times the casualty value. "

So in case of a battalion that looses 1 men, would the fatigue lay between 0 and 1.5 like p.67 says or between 1 and 1.5 like p.86 says?
03-23-2016, 11:07 AM,
Fatigue can definitely be zero when there are losses so it must be the first.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-27-2016, 10:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM by burroughs. Edit Reason: Whatever )
I am playing the Lodz campaign and noticed that after having the latest patch applied there's no bridge at Plock any more which hampers my operational planning to a certain extent. There was also a destroyed bridge at Wloclawek and it's gone without a trace, too - not that it matters as what's the use of a destroyed bridge incapable of being rebuilt. I believe there is a strong evidence supporting that particular choice as it has always been in updates for HPS / JTS games, but I can remember that in my book about the autumn campaign in central Poland the VI Siberian Corps was supposed to cross at Plock to give a hand its sister V Siberian Corps engaged at Wloclawek. In the end it turned out that they didn't have enough bridging capacity to do so as far as I can remember. My opponent proposed restarting the game on the basis the Vistula river can now be cross with the use of bridging engineer units which I objected for a number of reasons, the main being my legendary unwillingness to replay anything if possible to avoid.
Aw, forget it, I have just googled that and it seems that the main bridge at Plock was built in 1938, but need to investigate a bit more, perhaps check my book again on that subject. But honestly, with the usual quality of the updates I don't think I really must.

At Wloclawek there was a floating bridge that used to be dismantled prior to winter coming and it was nevertheless burnt during the Russian withdrawal on Aug 2nd 1914.

So the question is whether if we have started the campaign with the old version of the game do my pontoon engineer battalions get capacity to span the Vistula River?
03-29-2016, 06:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2016, 06:14 AM by Volcano Man.)
Sorry, but yes, historically there were no bridges in those places along the Vistula during 1914 unfortunately at the time those bridges came from a 1940s era map. Also, both sides built pontoon bridges over it during the battle (even the Russians). The only permanent bridges across the Vistula that I am aware of was at Wyszogrod and Modlin.

To answer your question: yes, if you are playing an old game your engineers will be be able to bridge the river now in your old campaign. The only negative effect you will see is that the permanent bridges will get removed.

I would suggest though that it should depend on how far along you are in your campaign. A LOT of improvements were made to the Lodz, and you should consider reporting it as a draw and restarting, if you are just in the first quarter of it. Otherwise if you are over half way through and are still having fun with the game up in the air, then by all means, it makes sense to me to continue it to conclusion or decision. Just my suggestion. ;)
Send this user an email
03-31-2016, 12:42 PM,
I, too, recall units of the VI Siberian Corps crossing at Plock to reinforce V Siberian.

In 1910 a military mapping survey of Austria Hungary and central Europe was published.  It shows a permanent bridge at Plock and what looks to be a pontoon-like bridge at Wloclawek.  The map series is available here:

http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/3felmeres.htm

Click on the rectangle at 37 degrees at the top of the map (Plock is located in it) to see the details.

merovingian
03-31-2016, 11:29 PM,
Indeed there is a bridge on the map.

However, Georgij K. Korolkov in his monography on the Lodz operation states that Gen. Rennekampf asked the Northwestern Front prior to the breakout of hostilities to build a bridge at Plock and to form a battle group on the left river bank that would lift V Siberian Corps isolation in Wloclawek. The Front failed to act on either suggestion and on Oct 29th Gen. Rennenkampf on his own ininitiative ordered VI Siberian Corps to cross at Plock using the measures "available on the spot", but there were none and it took asking the Modlin fortress commander to provide crossing equipment.  As a result a pontoon / floating bridge was constructed on Oct 30th-31st with the use of barges and steam powered ferries.

Hence apparently there wasn't any bridge at Plock at the time. Moreover, Korolkov writes that there weren't even any harbors, marinas or bulk berths to speed the building of the pontoon bridge.
04-01-2016, 03:00 AM,
I am playing Russians in Clash of Empires and we are 13 days in, on September 1st. This is not about re-starting but about German supply levels and also this is not a complaint, just a report. I've lost 113,000 men, 275 guns and still fighting. Victory levels are at draw. The Germans have lost 102,000 and 195 guns. Right now the Germans are counter attacking and what I am seeing is that almost all German units seem have a strength of xxxx or full strength. Obviously my opponent has done a nice job of rotating the troops but I am wondering if this seems right as they seem to be able to get mauled, travel by RR all over the place and reemerge 1000 man strong! I see that this scenario has only been played 4 times and perhaps no players have gotten in this deep. The Prussian I Korps is particularly tough and as I remember playing them, the fatigue come back quite slowly but the men just pour in. Again I am not complaining just reporting in. jonny Big Grin
04-01-2016, 10:05 AM,
(04-01-2016, 03:00 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: I am playing Russians in Clash of Empires and we are 13 days in, on September 1st. This is not about re-starting but about German supply levels and also this is not a complaint, just a report. I've lost 113,000 men, 275 guns and still fighting. Victory levels are at draw. The Germans have lost 102,000 and 195 guns. Right now the Germans are counter attacking and what I am seeing is that almost all German units seem have a strength of xxxx or full strength. Obviously my opponent has done a nice job of rotating the troops but I am wondering if this seems right as they seem to be able to get mauled, travel by RR all over the place and reemerge 1000 man strong! I see that this scenario has only been played 4 times and perhaps no players have gotten in this deep. The Prussian I Korps is particularly tough and as I remember playing them, the fatigue come back quite slowly but the men just pour in.  Again I am not complaining just reporting in. jonny Big Grin

I think this just illustrates the maxim that the other guy's situation generally looks better to you than it does to him, Jonny.