• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

East Prussia '14 update 1.02 now available!
04-01-2016, 10:41 AM,
RE: East Prussia '14 update 1.02 now available!
(03-31-2016, 11:29 PM)burroughs Wrote: Indeed there is a bridge on the map.

However, Georgij K. Korolkov in his monography on the Lodz operation states that Gen. Rennekampf asked the Northwestern Front prior to the breakout of hostilities to build a bridge at Plock and to form a battle group on the left river bank that would lift V Siberian Corps isolation in Wloclawek. The Front failed to act on either suggestion and on Oct 29th Gen. Rennenkampf on his own ininitiative ordered VI Siberian Corps to cross at Plock using the measures "available on the spot", but there were none and it took asking the Modlin fortress commander to provide crossing equipment.  As a result a pontoon / floating  bridge was constructed on Oct 30th-31st with the use of barges and steam powered ferries.

Hence apparently there wasn't any bridge at Plock at the time. Moreover, Korolkov writes that there weren't even any harbors, marinas or bulk berths to speed the building of the pontoon bridge.

Re the bridge at Plock:

Good catch.  You are correct about Korolkov.  As to what happened to the bridge between 1910 & Oct 1914, I find this passage in
 ВОСТОЧНО-ПРУССКАЯ операция - СБОРНИК документov (East Prussian Operation -- Collection of Documents) at p. 50

"Warsaw Bridges - one rail and two for wheeled transport, at Novogeorgievsk - one for wheeled traffic (It can be adapted to railroad), at Plock and Vlotslavsk - on pontoons, both shall be destroyed in the first days of mobilization." (translated from the Russian).

Also during the Lodz operation German troops were ordered to Plock to build there a reinforced bridge but were prevented by ice floes.

Some VI Siberian Corps units did cross at Plock so it appears that the Russians were able to build a temporary bridge.  The rule allowing engineers to bridge the Vistula thus appears to be a good simulation of the situation at Plock during the campaign.

Merovingian
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2016, 11:02 AM,
(04-01-2016, 10:05 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 03:00 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: I am playing Russians in Clash of Empires and we are 13 days in, on September 1st. This is not about re-starting but about German supply levels and also this is not a complaint, just a report. I've lost 113,000 men, 275 guns and still fighting. Victory levels are at draw. The Germans have lost 102,000 and 195 guns. Right now the Germans are counter attacking and what I am seeing is that almost all German units seem have a strength of xxxx or full strength. Obviously my opponent has done a nice job of rotating the troops but I am wondering if this seems right as they seem to be able to get mauled, travel by RR all over the place and reemerge 1000 man strong! I see that this scenario has only been played 4 times and perhaps no players have gotten in this deep. The Prussian I Korps is particularly tough and as I remember playing them, the fatigue come back quite slowly but the men just pour in.  Again I am not complaining just reporting in. jonny Big Grin

I think this just illustrates the maxim that the other guy's situation generally looks better to you than it does to him, Jonny.
04-01-2016, 04:27 PM,
(04-01-2016, 10:41 AM)merovingian Wrote: Re the bridge at Plock:

Good catch.  You are correct about Korolkov.  As to what happened to the bridge between 1910 & Oct 1914, I find this passage in
 ВОСТОЧНО-ПРУССКАЯ операция - СБОРНИК документov (East Prussian Operation -- Collection of Documents) at p. 50

"Warsaw Bridges - one rail and two for wheeled transport, at Novogeorgievsk - one for wheeled traffic (It can be adapted to railroad), at Plock and Vlotslavsk - on pontoons, both shall be destroyed in the first days of mobilization." (translated from the Russian).

Also during the Lodz operation German troops were ordered to Plock to build there a reinforced bridge but were prevented by ice floes.

Some VI Siberian Corps units did cross at Plock so it appears that the Russians were able to build a temporary bridge.  The rule allowing engineers to bridge the Vistula thus appears to be a good simulation of the situation at Plock during the campaign.

Postcard dated 1st week of 1915 with picture of Plock brigde:

[Image: 612_001.jpg]

Undated postcard with picture of a pontoon bridge at Plock; looks like the bridge in the first postcard:

[Image: 110_001.jpg]

Merovingian
04-02-2016, 07:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM by Volcano Man.)
Yes, the information I had was that the Russians built a temporary bridge at Plock. Then later the Germans did the same.
Send this user an email
04-02-2016, 07:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM by Volcano Man.)
(04-01-2016, 03:00 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Right now the Germans are counter attacking and what I am seeing is that almost all German units seem have a strength of xxxx or full strength. Obviously my opponent has done a nice job of rotating the troops but I am wondering if this seems right as they seem to be able to get mauled, travel by RR all over the place and reemerge 1000 man strong!...

Sure, why not, it is not guaranteed that he will receive replacements. It comes with a lot of conditions: supply level, whether they are in command, whether they are moving or attacking, and so forth. My guess is your opponent had to have had a good supply situation and was resting/rotating out his units efficiently. Then again, you could also be seeing some units from the Western Front as well (depending on the date). 

If you are expecting to bleed the German (or French) units white in 1914 (or 1915) then it isn't going to happen unless you put them in a bad supply situation.  ;)
Send this user an email
04-02-2016, 08:07 AM,
[quote pid='410531' dateline='1459545374']
If you are expecting to bleed the German (or French) units white in 1914 (or 1915) then it isn't going to happen unless you put them in a bad supply situation.  ;)

Sure I get it; at this point millions of men were still volunteering and being called up as well. jonny Mex Big Grin
[/quote]