• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Speaking of Opp. Fire
02-27-2016, 06:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 06:46 AM by Wolfsangel.)
My 2 Cents  Speaking of Opp. Fire
Speaking of Opp. Fire ::

{{{This post is about setting opp fire, not as an answer to the Opp-Fire posts below... All though it could address some of the issues on the post below.}}}

,<<Just got me thinking about OppFire & it may be a good discussion on it's uses. Any other thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.. I may have the wrong positions on these issues  so by all means !!  Join In !! >>>

This is a mail I sent to a rookie Player on Ideas of Opp Fire. It may help experienced players also..

I wrote this note of tips to a rookie player .....
Keep this tip below in mind throughout this text { I had written this tip in a previous mail } ::

[[[**Another tip: Opp fire will give up your 'hidden' positions. Is the hidden unit worth giving up it's position for an otherwise poor shot ? I'm sure you can figure out this point on your own ..**]]]

Opp Fire Tips:

At the beginning of the game (or now) click on an open spot & press Ctr+P. This is your "Global Setting".. all units.. click L on all settings. This sets Long for all units. Many times the scenario designer will set "Global Fire" less than long and if you don't reset it, you won't be able to set a Long Shot for a particular unit. It's being LAZY just setting all infantry overall the same All armour the same MGs/Indirect fire units all the same ect ect (The way most players will set their Opp-Fire)... {{***See tip at far bottom of this text ***}}
It's very important to set and reset opp-fire on every unit/move by their present situation. And, if they are not threatened then leave all settings off. That way if you do forget how they are set they won't fire or will fire when you don't want (or want) them to. In other words you will know how they're set. if they are set 'off ' (never) across the board.
Now you're ready to set each unit separately by clicking on each unit separately . Ctr+P
Generally.. Like I said above, I cut off all fire on every unit one at this time (other than COs) after setting "Global Fire". And cut off all opp-fire as units arrive as reinforcements.
Then reset as conditions warrant. These are not hard settings, just basic settings...

CO's: 

Be sure all COs are always on Long. If not they will only support shots at a lower range (that they are set to) Long for COs all the time.

Infantry:

Set 'Long' for a shot at Hard Targets, They only can fire 1 move away, but you must click long for them to actually fire at Hard Targets.
Usually off (never) for light vehicles as they are minimal value and .. or, is it worth giving away your location ? {see below}
Short or Medium for Infantry targets (or off).. Something to remember.. If your infantry unit has a range of 4, you must set at medium to fire when the enemy unit get's one move away.. It's just the way the game rounds out fractions. If you set short, it won't fire at all. Also a Long Shot is usually (point-wise) a very lousy shot. A "2" shot normally.

MGs:

Shut off (never) any shot against armour. Usually a "1" attack. Not worth the shot, not to mention you will show your location if the armour can't move another hex closer. ( Like if you are in a forest/building/village ect.- NEXT to a road that the armour can't reach anyway)
As far as light vehicles I usually set them at No shot (never) but that's up to you.

[[[But an exception . If setting up oppfire on light units it is advised to set machine gun to fire at them as to any other units]]].

Now, back to MGs::
I normally don't fire as (here we go again) it gives up my location for minimal points .. ask yourself, Is it worth it? Set short or medium against infantry. Remember the same rules as the above infantry are the same. You may need medium just to shoot short ( remember, mulltibles of 3) I don't normally fire long as It's normally not a good shot (&... here we go again), it will give up my location.. :>)

Indirect fire units:

OFF (never) or nearly never.. again, it will give away your location. & Indirect Fire units are very easy to knock out. Granted, there will be times that they must be set as the enemy is very close. For the most part: OFF  See below for more on Indirect units ^^&&**

Armour: ( And This is Tricky )

For instance my armour units sheltered by infantry will have all Opp Fire off (never)
If they are in an exposed position, then it's almost better to be off if they are in good cover.
If you do set opp fire (if your opponent is very close), then only shoot at Hard Vehicles &/or infantry & never for light vehicles.

Although, there is really no hard rules of thumb on Armour opp fire, just figure out what you feel is necessary at this point. Maybe have one unit fire at armour & another (nearby or in the same hex) fire at infantry. (and another not at all)

OPP Fire for Hard Vehicles and infantry kinda' depend on the situation at hand. Just remember that firing will give away your location Is it worth it? .. It's Damned if you do & Damned if you don't (All the more reason to keep your armour protected by your infantry.)

If you do set opp-fire for Hard Vehicles, set it as short as the situation demands, not just long, your unit may make a long shot when you're really only threatened with a closer enemy.
Now your (hard) Armour, if your range is not in multiples of three, you may have to punch in more than short/Medium as above with the infantry.
Usually I have my armour fronted by infantry, so my opp fire is off.

**Another tip: Opp fire will give up your 'hidden' position. Is the hidden unit worth fiving up for an otherwise poor shot ? I'm sure you can figure out this point on your own ..**

Like I said before: Opp Fire will not win battles, it's very unreliable and exposes your position with very little to show for it. I think different than most, but.. No one is entirely right, just what works for you. I'm in the 1% who choose to not fire verses more than the 99% that do. I'm wrong.. but, am I really?? ;-}

Bottom Line: IMHO: A concealed location is much more important than minimal points --- and losing your unit as a result of taking ill timed shots.
Hope this helps..........

Herr E.Rommelesq.

Oh, Yeah !! Something Very Important : ****
****Say for instance, all infantry is set for medium shots-- Guess what ? Comanders for armour that fires long range will not support the long shot as they are only set to fire medium or short. (as Infantry) Seems to me that having this situation at hand is all the more reason to set units individually. The idea othe game is to WIN !! Right ?? Then, this is a must setting(s)..****

From Above: 
^^&&**
Written the following day :: I figured out how to set indirect fire for otherwise unsettable indirect fire units !!! ^^&&**

On Indirect fire units:
"OFF (never) or nearly never.. again, it will give away your location. & Indirect Fire units are very easy to knock out. Granted, there will be times that they must be set as the enemy is very close. For the most part: OFF " (Quote from Opp-Fire tips from I sent last night.)

Something different with The Matrix game (this is the 1st time I have played the Matrix version of CS) & the original Taloosoft CS is: You can't set opp-fire for select indirect fire units By themselves. But, I've found that if you stack them with another unit their opp-fire can be adjusted. If you don't set them, they will automaticly fire as if set for "Long'. Matter of fact, it just happened on our last Dash For St.Vith move when a 60mm mortor fired at your 38T tank destroyer. When I retreated & stacked with an infantry unit I was able to set their opp-fire for the rest of the game.
Quote this message in a reply