• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 10 file problem
02-14-2016, 10:43 AM,
Windows 10 file problem
With a recent update to Windows 10 all game files that I am receiving are coming in as Read Only files. This means that you can not save the turn and it does not seem to advance properly. 

To solve this problem every time that you download a file you need to go to File Manager and find the game file. Right click on the file and the click properties. If the Read Only box is checked uncheck it and then hit apply. The file will now work properly. Unfortunately this is not a permanent fix and must be done every time that you download a file. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this problem.

Nick
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2016, 04:34 AM,
RE: Windows 10 file problem
I'm not sure this is a Windows 10 issue. I'm not just using Windows 10 but am an Insider and so am running builds beyond what the general public uses, and I'm not seeing this on any of my computers. Maybe something with your email?
02-15-2016, 11:10 AM,
(02-15-2016, 04:34 AM)panzerde Wrote: I'm not sure this is a Windows 10 issue. I'm not just using Windows 10 but am an Insider and so am running builds beyond what the general public uses, and I'm not seeing this on any of my computers. Maybe something with your email?

Who knows? I am using the stock email program that came with Windows 10.
02-15-2016, 05:14 PM,
(02-15-2016, 11:10 AM)Bioman Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 04:34 AM)panzerde Wrote: I'm not sure this is a Windows 10 issue. I'm not just using Windows 10 but am an Insider and so am running builds beyond what the general public uses, and I'm not seeing this on any of my computers. Maybe something with your email?

Who knows? I am using the stock email program that came with Windows 10.

I dont use the built in email app for 10 but I wonder if it is saving attached files as read only for security reasons.  Or if you are also using an internet security application like mcaffee, perhaps that is affecting it.  There may be some settings you can access to change this perhaps.
02-16-2016, 10:32 AM,
You might check to be sure that your account has ownership of the folder where you're saving the attachments. I'm reading some posts indicating that people who did upgrades have found some folders no longer have correct ownership.
02-21-2016, 04:23 AM,
The following message was posted on the American Civil War Game Club forum:

An email attachment (BTE or ZIP) Saved from Outlook Mail assumes a Read-only attribute. This is apparently to prevent online editing and the potential of spreading malware. It forces the user to copy the file to their respective machine in order to edit. This is not a bug. Outlook users need to be aware of this change. If a BTE is received and saved, it will be marked Read-only and one will need to turn off this attribute -- every time. If, however, the BTE is contained in a compressed folder, the Open option can be selected and the BTE copied to the game folder as per usual. If the user saves the ZIP file then it will be marked Read-only, but this is meaningless.

Bottom line: ZIP your BTE files before sending to another player. No way of knowing whether other email platforms will adopt this type of security app.