• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ME SAM Missiles Questions
01-31-2016, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2016, 02:29 AM by Scud. Edit Reason: typo )
ME SAM Missiles Questions
So I'm playing in the first ME tourny and in a scenario with helicopters and SAM missiles. The SAMs are all set to shoot stuff down, but they don't. On one turn's replay my opponent's helicopters come into my ground forces line-of-sight (LOS) and one remains in one of my tanks LOS into my turn, although not in LOS of my SAMs. Still, I sort of expected some kind of response, seeing that the SAMs are radar controlled and well within striking distance. Is the reason for the non-firing the flying height of the helicopter, or is there more to it than that? If the helicopters are flying too low for SAMs, is there a way for me to tell? I didn't notice anything by clicking his helo icon, but maybe I missed it?

Will the SAMs auto-fire using their radar even if the aircraft can't be spotted by my ground units, or do they operate in the same fashion as anti-aircraft weapons in WWII CS? In which case their corresponding radar unit is just valuable eye-candy? Not sure. My opponent didn't know either and I couldn't find it referenced in the manual.

Ideally, I would think, if my opponent sends up his helicopters at the right altitude, far to the rear and invisible to my ground forces, but within range of my SAMs, they should fire if long range op fire is on. Correct?

Lastly, if I have the SAMs op-fire off and in the unlikely event my opponent's aircraft become visible to them, am I correct in assuming I can direct fire the SAMs the same way I would any other combat unit?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2016, 03:05 AM,
RE: ME SAM Missiles Questions
Hello Dave,

Yes, SAMs fire outside LOS based on their Radar unit being available. Destroy their Radar, and they're rendered ineffective. Also, SAMs only fire at targets flying at High air level, so better to operate your Helos on Nap-of-Earth or Low only.

SAMs fire automatically, come to think of it I've never tried them on direct fire (still requires their Radar available) for lack of targets at High air level.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-31-2016, 03:17 AM,
Thanks Petri. Anyway to know your opponents helicopters altitude? Also, is is a wasted shot for a tank to shoot at one? Seems like it would be. I was going to try, but it said the target was too high (at least I think that's what it said). I suspect only the anti-air stuff has decent odds at shooting one down(?)...and yes, I know, I'm really new at this.  Smile

Glad to hear the SAMs will shoot even if I can't see the aircraft. That's the way it should be, I just wasn't sure the game engine would do it. Nice.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-31-2016, 03:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2016, 05:40 AM by Crossroads.)
I believe the Unit sidebar should show the enemy helo flight level as well. There's a letter right of the unit picture, green G for Ground, was it blue N for Nap of Earth, L for Low and H for High.

HMGs, AA units, tanks with HMG mgs, anything you can shoot a low flying helo yes do so. Pesky little things, unless they're your own!!!

Sorry, not at my computer at the moment Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-03-2016, 03:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016, 03:03 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
Just a quick correction,

I'm pretty sure tanks cannot engage helicopters in flight.  They can only engage on the ground.  Well, at least they are not supposed to be capable of shooting them down.  

Regards,

Jim
02-03-2016, 03:34 AM,
Yessiree, look for the FireHelo flag in the F2 Unit Handbook to determine if the unit can engage the helos in air. For instance many of the APCs but not all can.
Visit us at CSLegion.com