• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AT Guns considered hard or soft targets
01-28-2016, 12:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM by FroBodine.)
AT Guns considered hard or soft targets
Again, I can't find this in the manual.  Are anti-tank guns hard or soft targets?

And, how can I tell from looking at any given unit card if they are hard or soft?  I see large armor shows hard target as text on the unit card, but I can't see that on the enemy unit cards.  

Thanks again from a newbie trying to figure the details out.

-=Jeff
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2016, 12:15 PM,
RE: AT Guns considered hard or soft targets
(01-28-2016, 12:15 PM)FroBodine Wrote: Again, I can't find this in the manual.  Are anti-tank guns hard or soft targets?

And, how can I tell from looking at unit cards if any given unit is hard or soft?  I see large armor shows hard target as text on the unit card, but I can't see that on the enemy unit cards.  

-=Jeff

-- Oddball
01-28-2016, 12:17 PM,
Sorry for the double post. I made a goof. And, it won't let me delete the thread. It says I don't have permission to do that. How do I get permission to delete my own postings, please?

-- Oddball
01-28-2016, 07:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 03:45 AM by ComradeP.)
Knowing whether a certain type of equiment is considered a hard or soft target requires some basic understanding of what you're seeing on the unit card.

Generally speaking, if it doesn't look like it's armoured, and if it isn't an infantry unit using halftracks in T-mode, it's a soft target. German AA guns mounted on transport halftracks are also soft targets.

Soft units that benefit from bunkers and pillboxes and are in a hex containing those fortifications are also hard targets.

Units being towed by hard halftracks, such as Commonwealth AT guns moved around by carriers, are considered soft as well and use soft halftrack movement.

Hmm, I just noticed that some of the transportation images don't match the movement type, just like in PzC Moscow '42 after the graphics upgrade..
01-28-2016, 07:42 PM,
(01-28-2016, 12:15 PM)FroBodine Wrote: Again, I can't find this in the manual.  Are anti-tank guns hard or soft targets?

And, how can I tell from looking at any given unit card if they are hard or soft?  I see large armor shows hard target as text on the unit card, but I can't see that on the enemy unit cards.  

-=Jeff

I love 'newbie' questions - you're all driving the case for me to rewrite/edit the manual.... I actually will do that after the patch comes out.

To answer your question - no, anti-tank guns by themselves are not hard targets. The way you can tell is by right clicking on the unit card and looking for a 'Hard Target' entry after the Defense value. See below - the panzer unit is 
hard, the infantry are not;

[Image: d512591425PB%20Graphics%2079.png]

If the gun or infantry are in a pillbox or bunker you will see that there defense value is increased by the fortification value and it becomes a hard target. This a key understanding needed when attacking fortifications. Hard attack rather than soft attack values are used when firing at these units.

David
02-02-2016, 02:01 AM,
Thank you both for the detailed answers. Much appreciated.

-=Jeff

-- Oddball