• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
01-27-2016, 08:45 AM,
Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
What are the differences between the Squad Battle series over John Tiller's Campaign Series?

I read that not all of the Sqaud Battle games have the 3D view?

I like that the Campaign series has all the nations OOB's in one game.

If someone could help educate this noob on the differences in the games I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2016, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM by Richie61.)
RE: Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
(01-27-2016, 08:45 AM)acctingman69 Wrote: What are the differences between the Squad Battle series over John Tiller's Campaign Series?

I read that not all of the Sqaud Battle games have the 3D view?

I like that the Campaign series has all the nations OOB's in one game.

If someone could help educate this noob on the differences in the games I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am guessing this is Bruce? 

I am not a Campaign player. I have it and it does nothing for me, but lots of people love it.
Platoon-scale tactical game.
hexes are 250 meters

Squad Battles (my thing) Big Grin  Basically a Squad Leader type game. Leaders, squads and single weapons like guns, tanks, half tracks.

The game scale is 40 meter hexes and 5 minute turns.
Units are normally at the squad and single vehicle level.

Start with Red Victory Smile
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-28-2016, 10:06 AM,
Thanks Richie

Yes, it's Bruce :)

Was trying to wrap my head around the differences (which I understand now) AND if I want to shell out the dough for just the CS and/or the 3 SB titles that do 3D

Thank you for all your help.
01-28-2016, 02:15 PM,
I wouldn't let the lack of 3D deter you from buying the SB titles that don't support 3D. The real genius in the SB series is in fidelity of the Orders of Battle, the scenarios and the game engine. For what this is worth, I play all of the SB titles in the 2D mode, mainly because that is the format I am accustomed to from playing board games and because it has a visually cleaner and uncluttered look about it. I find it difficult to quickly assimilate the tactical situation in the 3D mode because it is visually distracting.
01-29-2016, 01:36 PM,
This is a great series to play most scenarios play quickly not a lot of units and at squad, individual level compared to Panzer Campaigns where you can have hundreds of units.
01-29-2016, 09:44 PM,
I have to agree about the 3D mode in SB. I never use it for the same reasons mentioned above so that would not be a factor for me as well. I play both series and both are different games. I prefer SB because I like small arms action compared to the scale of CS. SB also plays quicker and the AI can be challenging in certain scenarios, although I prefer PBEM.
01-30-2016, 01:59 AM,
What SBs needs is the implementation of the 2d relief map like in Panzer Battles. Of course, there is always some larger, longer scenarios as well. With all those large maps, seems a shame to waste. Somebody with the info creates an oob of actual divisions and time periods and the ability to generate a random meeting engagement allowing a person to have a division to draw units from. don't have to use the whole division, but you have that option. You could end up having people fighting a scenario with a whole division while their opp is handling them quite well with a bde. Similar to Red barricades from the old AH Squad Leader game. I would think a possible look at maps for scaling or possible different scaling so one can have a town where squads can be in a building and be able to go upstairs or down to the cellar or even sewer movement in cities.

I would also like to see the ability to breakdown and combine even to the point of individual soldiers if a player deems it necessary to cover several points with only one or two squads on hand until more help arrives.

There are many possibilities for the different SBs titles yet untouched.