• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery Units & Stockpiled
01-22-2016, 10:33 PM,
Artillery Units & Stockpiled
Gents:  Smoke7

When an artillery unit displays a "Stockpiled" message... what exactly does that mean?  Idea2

I understand that the unit has accumulated excess shells... so in game terms does that translate into the unit being able to fire multiple turns before it becomes "Unavailable?"

Also, what are the game conditions that lead up to an artillery unit becoming "Stockpiled?" For example, does the artillery unit need to be in close proximity to a supply source?

Mortar
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2016, 12:49 AM,
RE: Artillery Units & Stockpiled
It's explained on pp 76-77 of the user manual:
Stockpiled Artillery
Stockpiled is a type of Artillery unit status that represents a battery in position with ample ammo at hand and effective communications in place. Therefore, such stockpiled units are deemed to be more effective. Stockpiling can take place in one of two ways. A scenario designer can place some Artillery units in a stockpiled state at the beginning of a game. It may also be possible for a side to have the ability to stockpile during a game. This latter option depends upon the value of the Side Stockpiling percentage as seen in the Parameter Data. If this value is zero (0), no stockpiling can occur during the game for that side.
An artillery unit that is Stockpiled will be able to fire for longer periods of time,and perhaps with increased effectiveness, without suffering supply problems. In particular,
• A Stockpiled artillery unit fires at an effectiveness modified by the Stockpiled Fire Parameter Data modifier. For example, if this modifier is 100%, then the fire value of Stockpiled units is not modified, but if the modifier is 200%, then the fire value of Stockpiled units is doubled.
• When a Stockpiled artillery unit suffers its first supply test failure, it remains available, but loses its Stockpiled status at that point. Note: while Stockpiled, the supply test applied to a unit uses a supply value that is 75% of normal. For example, if the normal supply value is 80%, then the supply test applied to a Stockpiled unit uses 75% of 80%, equal to 60%, as the supply value for the test.
Provided that a side has a non-zero Stockpile probability in the Parameter Data, then Stockpiling occurs automatically under certain circumstances. In order for an artillery unit to be eligible for Stockpiling, it must not have moved or fired, must not be Disrupted or Broken, and must not have Unavailable status. Being in Travel or Rail Mode does not affect the ability to Stockpile.

The test for Stockpiling only takes place during Day turns using the probability associated with that side. If the probability test succeeds, then the artillery unit is flagged as being Stockpiled. Any Stockpiled artillery unit losses its Stockpiled status if it moves, including by rail.
01-23-2016, 01:02 AM,
(01-23-2016, 12:49 AM)76mm Wrote: It's explained on pp 76-77 of the user manual:

Thank you very much! Big Grin

Now, how do I obtain a more recent PzC User Manual?

I own both Sicily 43 and Salerno 43. Both User Manual .pdf files with these two games are dated April 24, 2011 and have only 56 pages. There is no explanation of artillery and stockpiled status in these older PzC User Manuals.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-23-2016, 01:21 AM,
dunno, maybe the user manuals were updated with a patch? Have you patched the games?

I guess I can send it to you via e-mail if you want.
01-23-2016, 01:26 AM,
Also, be sure you're looking at the right doc--IIRC, there are two manuals with PzC games: one is called Users Manual and one is called "Main Program" or something. You need to look at the users manual...
01-23-2016, 01:46 AM,
(01-23-2016, 01:26 AM)76mm Wrote: Also, be sure you're looking at the right doc--IIRC, there are two manuals with PzC games:  one is called Users Manual and one is called "Main Program" or something.  You need to look at the users manual...

Thank you very much... again!  Big Grin

I was referencing a .pdf file named "pzc" and thought it WAS the User Manual. However, as you stated, there are TWO .pdf files and the file named "user" has the "complete" User Manual information.

I'm a "happy camper" now! Big Grin
Send this user an email
01-23-2016, 03:35 AM,
When you apply a HPS patch you have the choice to just download the updated game files or you can update the files and the manual, if you have no issues with downloads then it is obviously better to update both, but I suspect that some players just download the game files to save time. Wink
01-24-2016, 01:30 PM,
Hey is there a hokey for units using/used movement points?
01-24-2016, 10:29 PM,
(01-24-2016, 01:30 PM)U124IXB Wrote: Hey is there a hokey for units using/used movement points?

Hey... how about you start your own thread... instead of hijacking this one?  Idea2

We are discussing artillery and stockpiled units in this one!  Wink

Thanks.
Send this user an email