• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
01-27-2016, 08:45 AM,
Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
What are the differences between the Squad Battle series over John Tiller's Campaign Series?

I read that not all of the Sqaud Battle games have the 3D view?

I like that the Campaign series has all the nations OOB's in one game.

If someone could help educate this noob on the differences in the games I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2016, 12:31 AM,
RE: Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
55 views and no one can help out this poor old newb? :(
01-28-2016, 12:43 AM,
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=69178

Squad Battles is my vote Big Grin
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-28-2016, 12:45 AM,
I've never played Squad Battles, so can't contribute much, but I noticed someone in the SB forum answered your question. If you want an informed answer here, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait until a member shows up who has played both.

Campaign series is a platoon based game, 250 meter hexes, 6 minute turns. 2D and 3D views, and being kept up to date by a programming team at Matrix Games who are also active on this forum as well, to help and answer game related questions. New to the series is a stand alone Middle East version, just released. A Viet Nam version is currently in the works.

Hope that helps a little. Best I can do.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-28-2016, 07:33 AM,
Full map making capability in CS as well, the other Tiller ones don't let you make maps, I hate that!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
01-28-2016, 10:04 AM,
I get that SB is a good series of games, but what kills it for me is I do like the 3D option.

The Pacific games and one other I believe do not have that option.

Guess I could buy all of them :)

Thanks gents
01-28-2016, 02:56 PM,
(01-28-2016, 10:04 AM)acctingman69 Wrote: I get that SB is a good series of games, but what kills it for me is I do like the 3D option.

The Pacific games and one other I believe do not have that option.

Guess I could buy all of them :)

Thanks gents

If you go with SB, start with Red Victory. It's the best done WW2 game. Good mods and add on scenarios.
There are 90 stock scenarios and AI is good for solo and PBEM is great.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-30-2016, 07:11 AM,
I only have limited experience with Squad Battles, but it is what it says it is.  It's a tactical level game which looks at small unit actions at company/battalion level.  It was quite popular, but seems to have fallen off as time as gone on.  I'm also not sure if there is any ongoing developmental effort with the series.  Does anyone know?

I have extensive experience with Campaign Series and its a tactical/operational level game.  I was a playtester for some of the expansions that came out with EF and WF back in the day.  I'm also played the game since the late '90s when it released.  I'm currently a member of the Campaign Series Legion which released the CS Middle East in September and will release CS Vietnam in late 2016.

As the CS, it is more geared for battalion to Corps level battles at tactical and operational level.  On occasion, folks have pushed this to Army level battles during WW2, such as the Kursk series by von Earlman and the Battle of the Bulge series by Don Fox.  I think that speaks to the play-ability and flexibility of the game.

Over the course of its game life, it was very popular, though like any simulation it has its issues.  I do know that its development is ongoing.  I prefer CS, but that is my own personal choice because it allows me to capture a more fluid battle at a higher unit level.  That is something I prefer.  I've love the game ever since I saw the T34s racing across the Steppe in 3D back in the late-90's when I first started playing.

Regards,

Jim vK
Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club
and
Campaign Series Legion