• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Death Road at Oltarzew
06-23-2016, 09:56 AM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Death Road at Oltarzew
Well mate here's my thoughts on this one.

ended in a German minor by 5 points and they were from the 78 points I managed to exit off map on the top road
I exited a truck, batt HQ, tractor and 2 cav horse and 1 3SP cav unit no other units can even make it close to the exits  by moving every turn towards them. they are too slow.

Score was 236 to 109  for 405 points for German minor, he captured 1 VP, OLTARZEW.

my thoughts
Firepower.. maybe need to crop the German units down to 4 or less SP, no MG unit should be more than 2 SP and no recon more than 1 SP, art @ 2 SP
Poles are weak enough to even try to make a fight with this OOB was just a cake walk for Germans, they chewed me up even in the dark scoring hit after hit with all those shots .
Best Poles can muster is 8FP for INF and 12 for MG at range 1, Germans were pushing 16 with MGs and 14 with INF.

Balance was in favor of Germans  IMO no chance for Polish to even hold back them if they simply line up and walk west  While OOB may be historical, it's no wonder, they got wasted...  DEATH road indeed!

Exit hexes.  only the onboard units at start moving as fast as permitted on road and open ground were able to exit.  Everyone else is too slow to even make it past KAPUTY and I had to exit off north edge to prevent them from being overrun by German recon

6 starshells for 18 turns = 1/ for every 3 turns.. well they actually HURT me as I had better shooting with out being able to see the Germans than with a lit up stack right next to me...  not sure if more is better based on that LOL

I'm not a fan of night fights, but it was a good challenge trying to hold back Von Luck and his Hordes
But,    Again just TOO much for those Polish lads, and the outcome was historically close.

Map - I didn't check the historical side of it, but it looked ok except for...
i do have Q about rivers stopping at some hexes instead of continuing and then starting on the next hex instead of touching and a bridge?
I also thought the lower right corner was rather"dirty" very covered with stuff, perhaps I like a cleaner map as a preference  :) Just a thought.

Ok so... I'm gonna give you a 5, because that's my honest opinion.. If your idea of the Scenario is to replicate historical results .. OK.. you get an 8.5, but if you want a good fun night game, I feel it needs just a little reworking to give those Polish fellers a fighting chance.
History is fickle and done, wargaming is fun :)

Now to see what Von Luck might have to say?
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply