• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

name mod?
01-19-2016, 12:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016, 12:31 AM by phoenix.)
name mod?
Anyone know a way to mod the map names to make them about 10 times smaller than they are? That way I could leave them on and still see the map. They are very large at the moment and obscure too much if left on, but I want them on so I know where I am vis a vis reality. Is there a file somewhere where I could change the font size? 

Thanks.

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2016, 01:23 AM,
RE: name mod?
(01-19-2016, 12:30 AM)phoenix Wrote: Anyone know a way to mod the map names to make them about 10 times smaller than they are? That way I could leave them on and still see the map. They are very large at the moment and obscure too much if left on, but I want them on so I know where I am vis a vis reality. Is there a file somewhere where I could change the font size? 

Thanks.

Peter

Yes, (if your mad enough) you can do this.

It's actually quite easy and if you know how to use a text editor/excel you can do it reasonably quickly.

Make a copy of PBNormandy.map (for safe keeping). Double click the original and open with Notepad when prompted.

You will see a lot of gibberish but at the bottom is all the map names - copy these to a separate Notepad file and save as a txt file.

Open the file in excel using 'spaces' as your file delimiter.

You should see entries that look something like this;

339.731 367.4 1 0 0 Dickie's Bridge
40.8846 97.5667 1 1 0 Dielette
147.192 68.7 1 1 0 Digosville
623.308 343.7 1 1 1 Dives

The first two entries are the X & Y co-ordinates, the third is the size - make this 0 for smallest size , the fourth is alignment (1 = centre) the fifth is type/colour and the last is the actual name.

You can use excel to change everything in the third column quickly to 0.

Save the txt file.

Go back to the original PBNormandy.map and delete all the name text at the bottom using Notepad and cut and paste in your edited new values and you will have the smallest font possible.

My expectation is that you will have some misalignment, but that's up to you if you want to adjust the first two values....

Looking in here will give you an idea how many names DaveMic reviewed to get the correct French etc....!!

David
01-19-2016, 02:06 AM,
And for those wondering what the resized names look like?

Here is 'Dickies Bridge' & 'le Beny Bocage' adjusted. Top is the original, bottom is the smallest size possible. 

Important note - only size 1 names and above will display on a map that is at the maximum zoom out....

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20425.jpg]

David
01-19-2016, 04:05 AM,
Looks good. Many thanks (again) David!
01-19-2016, 05:38 AM,
i like the smaller names too...very easy.

thanks!
01-19-2016, 01:48 PM,
Very useful. I was just in the game and thinking exactly this, that I would love to be able to make the labels smaller. Thanks!
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM,
+1 ,much more aesthetically pleasing
01-19-2016, 02:12 PM,
Ok, Ok......

I'll see what I can do to save you all the 'pain'...!!!

Please note, you will lose all labels at maximum zoom out, but you can swap the map in and out as required...

David
01-19-2016, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM by Strela.)
Hi everyone,

By popular demand here is the adjusted PBNormandy map file.

This is the link to the thread in the Mods forum;

Link to small font mod in the mod forum

David
01-21-2016, 04:48 AM,
Great stuff, David. Thanks again!!!!.