• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Horses...vs...Steel Horses...
01-10-2016, 12:13 AM,
My 2 Cents  Horses...vs...Steel Horses...
Hello Fellow Blitz Fiends:

During testing with Petri and crew I noticed the new version of the game allows "unmanned" horses to move now.
Bravo I say! 

I recall black powder games where cavalry used to pay a strength point to provide handlers when units dismounted.  Not huge either way on that point but these days if I remember my name I celebrate.

So now we have unloaded trucks and horses that are allowed to move.
Can we add motorcycles to the list?
They now appear to be the last transport unit besides tractors that cannot move without being manned.

Unloaded motorcycles spot...so they must be assuming there are some "inherent" troops always assigned to unloaded motorcycles?

6 unloaded motorcycles are just as big a pain in the arse as any other unloaded transport unit and IMO it would be nice to be able to move them without jumping back on.  Don't get me wrong...I'm a big fan of motorcycles...and spend a lot of time at the racetrack on my Honda CBR1000RR.  I even like Harleys.

Whistle ....(channel your inner jon bovi here)...."on a steel horse I ride....and I'm wanted....dead or aliiiiiiiive...."... Whistle

In my case most of you want me dead... Flame2 ...but that's what war buddies are for eh?... Voodoo Doll     Helmet Wink

Regards and high respect to all,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2016, 08:17 AM,
RE: Horses...vs...Steel Horses...
Dan,

I tend to disagree. It makes sense to me that unloaded motorcycles wouldn't be able to move. For a motorcycle to move, at least one rider per vehicle is required, which would take away from the fighting strength of the unit. Multiple horses can be moved together by one soldier, and trucks of course generally have a dedicated driver.

I am open to different interpretations, but this rule seems to me to make sense.
01-10-2016, 05:00 PM,
(01-10-2016, 08:17 AM)Schwerpunkt75 Wrote: Dan,

I tend to disagree. It makes sense to me that unloaded motorcycles wouldn't be able to move. For a motorcycle to move, at least one rider per vehicle is required, which would take away from the fighting strength of the unit. Multiple horses can be moved together by one soldier, and trucks of course generally have a dedicated driver.

I am open to different interpretations, but this rule seems to me to make sense.

Sasha...how are things going these days?
XXXXVIII...oh man...

I tend to disagree with myself as well, at least more often than not, so I see your point...

If we look at transports we have armed and unarmed variants.

All armed variants (check me on this) have the ability to move inherent whether manned or unmanned.
I.E., Halftracks, Barges, LST's.  (I never fire unloaded motorcycles but they may have a small attack value?)
If motorcycles are an armed variant it would seem consistent if they could move without loading troops.

Most unarmed variants, trucks, tractors, and horses, can move without loading them.

But some, specifically boats, rafts, and motorcycles, cannot move unless they are manned.

It would appear the units the game allows to move are assumed to have some sort of organic troops dedicated to this purpose as you note above.  I can see where boats and rafts in landing scenarios would be abandoned, but for motorcycles it seems logical to me they would have the same sort of organic "handlers" that horses or any other form of transport which is capable of moving without being manned. 

If I had any logic behind this process, it would only be to say all transports should have the same methodology.

And to be honest the only reason I mention it is they can really clog a map, especially a forest or rough terrain map.
I'm usually in too big of a hurry to take that extra turn or two to move off the road into a forest hex, and I may unlimber on the road.  Of course that is my choice so I'm probably getting exactly what I deserve... 

Regards,

Dan
01-10-2016, 05:52 PM,
(01-10-2016, 05:00 PM)Dan Caviness Wrote: And to be honest the only reason I mention it is they can really clog a map, especially a forest or rough terrain map.
I'm usually in too big of a hurry to take that extra turn or two to move off the road into a forest hex, and I may unlimber on the road.  Of course that is my choice so I'm probably getting exactly what I deserve... 

Regards,

Dan

That's the thing with empty motorcycles isn't it. With 6SP they do tend to clog the map which feels a bit silly. Motorcycles are one of the few transports where 1SP does not equal one vehicle, but even so one would assume with 250m hexes they would not cause any problems density wise. 

On a road they probably in real world would have been left just outside the roads. Or, with combat odds, a bit silly given the penalty if more than 12SP in one hex.

Something to consider I would agree.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-10-2016, 09:52 PM,

I think you have it right. Motorcycle and side car equals two troops?
Dismount them to fight and who drives the motorcycle?
If no one is there why can they spot "?'s".
I love it when they clog a road and my tanks have to go around. Helmet Wink

Unload troops off a transport vehicle the driver could still drive away.
Horses, yes one person could move a few horses. But, should they be able to move full distances? Draw fire and spot too?

Good to see you posting Dan and Sasha!

Farmer

HSL
01-11-2016, 03:40 AM,
(01-10-2016, 09:52 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote:

Horses, yes one person could move a few horses. But, should they be able to move full distances? Draw fire and spot too?

Farmer

HSL

Talking about motorcycle why do the motorcycles dont have firepower when loaded 
The danish army 1940 have a machine gun on the side car see photo

Attached Files
.jpg   8f80ef55380397c86a76d2d936d28e1f.jpg (Size: 368.03 KB / Downloads: 10)
.jpg   IMG_0213.jpg (Size: 76.16 KB / Downloads: 8)
01-11-2016, 07:18 AM,
(01-10-2016, 09:52 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote:

Farmer

HSL

You make a good point Ed.  I didn't even consider the fact that 6 motorcycles on a road wouldn't block nearly like 6 trucks or halftracks.  The deal is if you have new units, say two Motorcycle platoons of 6 strength, as soon as you break out two in a hex...that road is blocked...and it will stay that way depending on the fate of the guys you just unlimbered being able to return. 

I also like your idea...tanks should just be able to run them over anyways...  Whip

Always a pleasure to post here Ed...I just don't have that much to say... Whistle
01-11-2016, 10:07 AM,
LOL!
Dan, the game is old. Whistle
We are forever young. Helmet Wink
At least that is what they tell me. Rolling Eyes

Farmer

Ed
01-14-2016, 04:27 AM,
Just don't tell my prostate...;O)
01-14-2016, 08:31 PM,
(01-14-2016, 04:27 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Just don't tell my prostate...;O)

Amen!