• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help Needed
01-08-2016, 01:06 PM,
RE: Help Needed
I looked at the six hexes surrounding the corner. 4 of the hexes have a elevation of 100 meters and two are the same elevation as the corner - 125 meters. These two hexes are 3,8 and 2,8.

The other four hexes are 25 meters lower than the corner.

Elevation Modifier: the percentage modifier applied when the target unit of direct fire is at a higher elevation than the firing unit, given in terms of elevation increments, up to a maximum of 5 increments.

Unless the fire is Indirect, if the target unit is at a higher elevation than the firing unit, then the elevation modifier Parameter Data value applies.
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2016, 01:10 PM,
(01-08-2016, 12:45 PM)FroBodine Wrote: Could you please elaborate on this statement?  I took a look at the first tutorial, and the Kraut Corner objective hex has hedgerows on all six sides.  What is causing the 100% reduction in fire into this hex?  Hedgerows are just 50%, I think, from looking at the parameter data.

What two hexes are you saying are the optimal hexes to attack from?  And, what makes them better than the other hexes when they all have hedgerows?

Also - supplementary question - what does "Secondary" mean in the hex details when you right click on the unit cards?  I don't see anything in the manuals about this.  There sure is a lot of stuff not explained in either of the manuals.

Thanks!

Secondary means there's a secondary road running through that hex side. 

In the case of the Kraut Corner objective hex, here are all of the modifiers that impact direct fire into that hex from all hexes except 2,8 and 3,8:
Hedgerows: -50%
Trench: -30%
Grass: -5%
Slope: -15%

The total direct fire reduction is therefore 100% unless you are in 2,8 or 3,8. It's still -85% in those hexes, but at least you can have some impact. Those two hexes are also better to assault from, since they're on the same elevation.

Interestingly, in reality E Co. 2/38 Infantry spent an hour trying to dislodge the defenders at Kraut Corner, holding up their advance for quite some time. In the end they were able to take the position by moving troops around the east side of the position and attacking it from the flank and rear - in other words, from hexes 2,8 and 3,8.
01-08-2016, 01:34 PM,
Thank you. Very nice explanations, and much appreciated.
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball