• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A new Panzer Battle gamer
01-05-2016, 03:58 PM,
A new Panzer Battle gamer
A gaming friend and I are looking at Panzer Battles Kursk to play.  I do not know to much about Panzer Battles and would like to know how complex the game is.  Is it something that a person can jump into and play or does it have tutorials.  Is it pretty easy to play.
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 12:06 AM,
RE: A new Panzer Battle gamer
It has tutorials but it is very complex. You need at least read the manual and even then you will still have questions about how stuff works.
01-06-2016, 12:21 AM,
Well, to be fair, the basics of the game series are very easy. Selecting units, moving units, and firing on the enemy is simple. But, to be proficient at the game, and really know the intricacies of moving and fighting effectively is what takes time and effort with the manual.

However, this is a wonderful forum, and folks here will answer all your questions with a smile!

Enjoy the game if you decide to get it. It's a wonderful game series, Kursk and Normandy.
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball
01-06-2016, 12:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 12:51 AM by phoenix.)
I'm a relative beginner. It's easy to get started and start losing PBEM games, I've found. No amount of reading the manual can prepare you for the intricacies of fire and movement, and the order in which you should do things in certain circumstances - you just have to play over and over, I think. Questions like how much of three stacks surrounding a bunker you should use to fire (without assaulting) before your assault, and whether to assault with a number of them first (keeping some for a second assault in the same turn), and whether any tanks should sit back and fire or also assault etc etc, are in a way the bread and butter of it (especially in Kursk) and hard to learn except by doing, I feel. But PB is easier in that respect than the Napoleonic games, I think. And, all that said, I do keep meaning to read the manual more....

Someone in here told me - when I asked a similar kind of question not so long ago - that if you've time to practice against the AI then you would use that time much better 'practicing' in live PBEM games, and I think that's absolutely true. Just get a couple of games going (easily done by posting a request in here), be happy to learn and lose. Everyone seems very friendly and helpful here (unlike some other wargame forums, where you might face a barrage of fanboys and a tight clique of experts, lol), and you can easily ask questions of your opponent during the game. I have found the better players seem very happy to almost treat the games as tutorials and pass on a wealth of information as you play.

Normandy is a much more interesting game than Kursk, imho, if you have to choose. Kursk can be a slog, I think, as it was in real life.

Peter
01-06-2016, 12:53 AM,
(01-05-2016, 03:58 PM)AstroBlues Wrote: A gaming friend and I are looking at Panzer Battles Kursk to play.  I do not know to much about Panzer Battles and would like to know how complex the game is.  Is it something that a person can jump into and play or does it have tutorials.  Is it pretty easy to play.

easy as pie like chess
01-06-2016, 02:55 PM,
Thanks for the answers. I am intrigued by Panzer Battles and have the manual downloaded and skimmed through it. Are there any future titles that are being worked on?
01-06-2016, 03:55 PM,
I read the beginners guide and the game looks like it is not too hard and only difficult in the since all the information that you have to know about terrain and such. Looks like in a couple of weeks I will be getting the game and I think Normandy would be the coolest. I look forward to playing this game with everyone on the Blitz.
01-06-2016, 03:59 PM,
(01-06-2016, 02:55 PM)AstroBlues Wrote:  Are there any future titles that are being worked on?

We never sleep....!!!  Helmet Wink

David
01-06-2016, 04:08 PM,
(01-06-2016, 03:59 PM)Strela Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 02:55 PM)AstroBlues Wrote:  Are there any future titles that are being worked on?

We never sleep....!!!  Helmet Wink

David

Hmmm.... My beta testing mailbox is empty Jester
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."