• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Small map accuracy point - Falaise
01-04-2016, 12:21 AM,
Small map accuracy point - Falaise
I just happen to have had a keen interest in this battle for many years, even though I'm neither Polish, Canadian or German! This is an important site for Poles, in particular, and the brutal centre of their efforts was the Manoir Boisjos (or Bosjos). There was terrible hand to hand fighting here. 

I noticed that the map has its labels wrong for the position of Boijos, relative to Coudehard and Mont Ormel. 

It should be like this: Top pic from Google earth. Boisjos is inbetween Coudehard and Ormel. Bottom pic from game. 

[Image: 4.gif][Image: 5.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2016, 02:14 AM,
RE: Small map accuracy point - Falaise
Interesting catch. All of the maps of the fighting I see match the game, but looking into modern maps they show what you have above. It appears that what is marked as Coudehard is called La Cour du Bosque. Boijos is correct, as can be seen in the large horseshoe curve in the road there.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-04-2016, 03:27 AM,
Hello Phoenix

You're right, we have a little concern.

I must have been tired or I need glasses ..

I hope all this will be changed for the next update.

[Image: carte.jpg]
01-04-2016, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 05:53 AM by phoenix.)
Mmm. Actually I think I'm wrong, now that I look into what Ricky B says. If I consult the many maps in my Editions Heimdal La Couloir de la Mort book (which I didn't before _ I just looked at Google maps) then they bear out what Ricky says, I think. I have a suspicion that 'Coudehard' might be more the name of a 'marie' or commune for the area - an administrative thing, rather than a village, but even so, there was an actual 'marie' - a mayor's office, I think, roughly where Coudehard appears on the game map. And Ricky is right - what is named as 'Coudehard' in modern maps is actually La Cour du Bosq on all the older maps I have (including the old Michelin 1947 map which was reprinted for the 50 year commemoration). On modern maps La Cour du Bosq appears a bit further west and south. No idea why. But I think the map's fine, Davemic. Well done! So my bad, I think. Sorry. Leave it as it is!

Peter