• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Reachable Hexes??
01-03-2016, 10:09 PM,
Reachable Hexes??
[Image: Reachable.JPG]

Trying to get the Shermans in the highlighted hex to X. But I cannot find a path that takes me there as there are so many obstacles (low walls, etc.) along the way. Does Reachable Hexes take obstacles into its calculation?

When I get as far as hex Y for example the distance I can reach now is to hexes shorter than X (even though the feature implies I can get to X?)
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 10:17 PM,
RE: Reachable Hexes??
(01-03-2016, 10:09 PM)GerryM Wrote: Trying to get the Shermans in the highlighted hex to X. But I cannot find a path that takes me there as there are so many obstacles (low walls, etc.) along the way. Does Reachable Hexes take obstacles into its calculation?

When I get as far as hex Y for example the distance I can reach now is to hexes shorter than X (even though the feature implies I can get to X?)

I believe the reachable hexes you are looking at assumes movement in travel mode as that is the unit state currently. With that in mind it would use roads as much as possible negating walls etc that may be there but not crossing the actual road. Reachable hexes is dynamic, it will adjust based upon the hex you move into and your current unit state - deploy from travel mode and you will see the reachable hexes recalculate.

David
01-03-2016, 10:30 PM,
Thanks David. But from the original hex I cannot see a road path that would take me to X? If that is right then the initial view of reachable hexes is misleading? In the first road hex I can see that I can travel to there is rubble so that stops one right there if trying to go by road.
01-03-2016, 10:51 PM,
(01-03-2016, 10:30 PM)GerryM Wrote: Thanks David. But from the original hex I cannot see a road path that would take me to X? If that is right then the initial view of reachable hexes is misleading? In the first road hex I can see that I can travel to there is rubble so that stops one right there if trying to go by road.

Here you go Gerry. Both units selected with reachable hexes on (first image). Drag to move to target hex with auto pathing (second image), third image is the same without reachable hexes on.

This generally works unless there is hidden enemy units, minefields etc.

David

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20421.jpg]
01-03-2016, 11:01 PM,
Avoiding the walls is key obviously. Sometimes it is hard to see the walls when you have the contours on (I know I can check in the hex info box). I assume auto-pathing (the drag-and-drop method) is dangerous near the enemy line as you don't control the route.

Thanks David. This really helps. Sorry for the simple questions but as you can see I am trying to give the game a serious shot after swearing off JT games for years.
01-03-2016, 11:29 PM,
(01-03-2016, 11:01 PM)GerryM Wrote: Avoiding the walls is key obviously. Sometimes it is hard to see the walls when you have the contours on (I know I can check in the hex info box). I assume auto-pathing (the drag-and-drop method) is dangerous near the enemy line as you don't control the route.

Thanks David. This really helps. Sorry for the simple questions but as you can see I am trying to give the game a serious shot after swearing off JT games for years.

Gerry,

Please ask all the simple questions. I can guarantee someone else has wondered about the same thing.

Correct on auto-pathing near the enemy it can end up with unexpected results. The point here is the hex is reachable and all intervening terrain is taken into consideration.

David