• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Feature requests
05-21-2016, 03:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM by Pepe Botijo.)
RE: Feature requests
Hi David,

That´s very true, linked campaigns and scenarios have a lot of variety but a random generator brings something different: Unexpected battles. It´s a very different experience to play a fixed scenario (that you might have played several times) than endless unique battles.

I find the Tiller combat system perfect for random battles since it has fun and historical accuracy.

Some people migh think it´s not "historical", however all battles in history were in some way "unexpected". IMO the best player (or general) is adaptive (able to win many unexpected battles instead of well-known scenarios). The random generator can help to reach that feeling. Not to mention the possibility to create skirmishes that can be linked with historical campaigns using house rules.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2016, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2016, 03:21 AM by Xaver.)
A little question, is possible in the strength dialog not only show the actual force and show the original force to???

I refer that where apear the number of soldiers show something like XXX/YYY where XXX is the actual number avaliable and YYY the original force when scen started... ooo and show line in Nap series the % of soldiers in ok status to fight??? (no disrupted, no broken)... but maybe to do this finally we can have the option to rescale the windows in the game...

Thanks.
05-31-2016, 09:02 PM,
After see the how make maps and being a dirty mind  Rolling Eyes  if in a near future serie is going to move to desert areas... or at least areas where is possible that dust plays an important role to find enemy (and at same time use it to hide troops and play with enemy mind) i want ask if is planned represent this in engine, i know is not a scale like in Steel Panthers but i think is possible use it... in middle east is not present but is possible see it in PzB???

My idea is that when you move vehicle units dust appear, something like

1-you need vehicles or infantry units that have non on foot movement and are in travel mode.

2-is a parameter that control the chance to appear dust when you move the units, a base value (lets see 20%) that is increased with diferent factors... number of vehicles/soldiers, type of movement... when you move one hex and appear dust all the other movements produce dust for the unit, apart this every new hex increase the chance to create dust.

3-you only can spot dust when is in your unit view range, with this recon units win a lot of value to find enemy possible movements and you dont need risk a lot them because where is dust is enemy.

4-dust is only active a certain time... 1 turn maybe.

5-no dust in soft conditions.

In general i think that wheeled vehicles had a lower chance to create dust outside roads because move slower and tracked vehicles have a bigger chance to create dust out of roads... apart this arty could have here the chance to create dust when attack sand areas.

How do you see it???

Thanks.
06-01-2016, 11:13 AM,
(05-31-2016, 09:02 PM)Xaver Wrote: After see the how make maps and being a dirty mind  Rolling Eyes  if in a near future serie is going to move to desert areas... or at least areas where is possible that dust plays an important role to find enemy (and at same time use it to hide troops and play with enemy mind) i want ask if is planned represent this in engine, i know is not a scale like in Steel Panthers but i think is possible use it... in middle east is not present but is possible see it in PzB???

My idea is that when you move vehicle units dust appear, something like

1-you need vehicles or infantry units that have non on foot movement and are in travel mode.

2-is a parameter that control the chance to appear dust when you move the units, a base value (lets see 20%) that is increased with diferent factors... number of vehicles/soldiers, type of movement... when you move one hex and appear dust all the other movements produce dust for the unit, apart this every new hex increase the chance to create dust.

3-you only can spot dust when is in your unit view range, with this recon units win a lot of value to find enemy possible movements and you dont need risk a lot them because where is dust is enemy.

4-dust is only active a certain time... 1 turn maybe.

5-no dust in soft conditions.

In general i think that wheeled vehicles had a lower chance to create dust outside roads because move slower and tracked vehicles have a bigger chance to create dust out of roads... apart this arty could have here the chance to create dust when attack sand areas.

How do you see it???

Thanks.

Hi Xaver,

Dust spotting is already in game - from the manual;

Dust Spotting

There are parameter data values for each side associated with the Dust Spotting rule.  These values must be nonzero before Dust Spotting can occur in a scenario.  Dust Spotting allows units that have moved outside of the normal visibility limits to be spotted as Unknown units based on a certain probability.  Dust Spotting can only occur during Day turns (this includes Dusk and Dawn turns) and only during turns where the Conditions are Normal.

That said - we have ideas on how to enhance this rule significantly and this will be tweaked before release.

David
06-02-2016, 12:04 AM,
Thanks for the reply.

Well, i know that rule from game but is something abstract with no direct impact in how you "use it" as human... i refer that see dust over map is a good way to have extra intel about enemy movements... and at same time a good way to hide your own intentions, specially in north Africa where is well know the use of dust as weapon.

Apart this if PzB3 is going to cover a pure north Africa battle like Crusader or Gazala recon units are going to be even more important and dust over map increase their value to find enemy... and at same time hide your own intentions to enemy.

Other point for me is going to be airwarfare... but i doubt we can see this in actual engine status... i refer link air units to a certain airbase (hex or group of hexes) that made if you conquest them that air units disapear X turns until the air units are reposition, at least this to made land combats impact in the air area.

Again thanks and waiting more info about engine improvements... and new title hehehe.

Off-topic: if PzB3 cover north Crusader or Gazala... you plan add as bonus "minor" actions like Battleaxe and Brevity or you think more in leave them for future titles??? (i dont see bad use them in a Salerno title style with other small actions in the mediterranean... even a title with Battleaxe, Brevity and early Italy actions in the area... and i allways think that the El-Alamein what if scen covering Malta assault was a little out of scale for PzC).
06-03-2016, 07:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016, 07:54 PM by jmlima.)
(05-21-2016, 03:55 PM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: Hi David,

That´s very true, linked campaigns and scenarios have a lot of variety but a random generator brings something different: Unexpected battles. It´s a very different experience to play a fixed scenario (that you might have played several times) than endless unique battles.

I find the Tiller combat system perfect for random battles since it has fun and historical accuracy.

Some people migh think it´s not "historical", however all battles in history were in some way "unexpected".  IMO the best player (or general) is adaptive (able to win many unexpected battles instead of well-known scenarios). The random generator can help to reach that feeling. Not to mention the possibility to create skirmishes that can be linked with historical campaigns using house rules.

Thanks

Random battles generators were discussed at extreme length, to the nth degree, years back in connection with Squad Battles. The answer back then was a complete no due to some copyright issue that was never clarified.
06-03-2016, 09:34 PM,
I though of a PzC+SB campaign, but eventually I have decided to use CM instead.

I´m going to play with some friends a campaign with Sicily´43 for operational maps and CMFI for squad combats. I´ll be able to edit maps as I wish and make balanced battles (using points) easily. The WEGO combat system is awesome and extremely realistic.
06-06-2016, 08:22 PM,
In my humble opinion I think is not well represented in the game, artillery units that make Only direct fire. Example: A 75mm gun makes direct fire, with a range unit of 30-40 hexagons, just some value to 4 hexagons. of the 4 to 40 hexagons the value is near null. The range modifier excessively punishes these units.

Example: 88mm flak german made direct support tasks due to the shortage of other artillery. An impact of 14, beyond 6 hex has no value, but those guns firing above that range, effectively.

Thanks
06-20-2016, 07:02 PM,
Increase the effect of mortars on trenches and improved hex units. The effect of the parable of the mortar was specially designed to attack such positions.

thanks
06-20-2016, 08:42 PM,
The problem is that over improved and trenches mortars are very inefective because the design of this positions only leave to mortars the option to score a direct hit... they are vulnerable compared with covered defensive positions??? yes, but not a lot more and trenchs and IPs could be very diferent related with terrain... for example in desert with more sand mortars splash is more neutralized unlike for example in hard terrain (rocks could work as shrapnel).

But is true that over infantry in open mortars need be more effective ... here increase the chance to score a kill at least and in defensive "soft" positions made that mortars attacks affect practically allways fatigue AND ocasional casualties.