• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smaller than Divisional Markings Suggestion
12-30-2015, 06:34 AM,
a_Arrow  Smaller than Divisional Markings Suggestion
So far, all of the scenarios I have seen all deal with smaller than Divisional sized units.

Under the drop-down VIEW menu, there is an option for checking Divisional Markings however, since the units all fall under the same Division, they are all the same Division color, which makes this game feature useless and offers no help in trying to organize your forces especially during a para drop or a beach landing.

Has there ever been any consideration to incorporate a way for players to have the ability to easily view Company Markings, Battalion Markings, etc?

I would think that having this ability, would make it alot easier for a player to help sort out all of the chaos of having units scattered all over the place.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2015, 06:51 AM,
RE: Smaller than Divisional Markings Suggestion
Sounds great, would like to see this in a future patch.
+ please give us a way to easily see what units we will have during a scenario, split into already on map and reinforcements without the need to click through Corps->Army->Division->Regiment before, thats annoying.
12-30-2015, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 01:07 PM by Strela. Edit Reason: Corrected Ctrl-O to Alt-O )
(12-30-2015, 06:34 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: So far, all of the scenarios I have seen all deal with smaller than Divisional sized units.

Under the drop-down VIEW menu, there is an option for checking Divisional Markings however, since the units all fall under the same Division, they are all the same Division color, which makes this game feature useless and offers no help in trying to organize your forces especially during a para drop or a beach landing.

Has there ever been any consideration to incorporate a way for players to have the ability to easily view Company Markings, Battalion Markings, etc?

I would think that having this ability, would make it alot easier for a player to help sort out all of the chaos of having units scattered all over the place.

Thanks

Hi,

We discussed this a few times and decided that the 'Highlight Organisation' was a better, user configurable option. You can also use Alt-O (from memory) to move up the organisation.

As far as total strength etc, let me get back in front of the game and see what is/isn't available.

David
12-30-2015, 11:23 AM,
Take a look at the #0730_01: Operation Bluecoat - Baffing up the Charlie Love scenario to see the Divisional Markings setting make a difference.

There are elements of four different British divisions there.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-30-2015, 09:03 PM,
This was discused when PzB1 was released... i see the problem like in the "Early America Wars" serie... but using regimental scale over battalion scale.

Maybe problem is that in PzB unlike in EAW you have over divisional level corps level and is more complex the OOB.

One thing to explore is add a 2-3 level system... i refer using the actual colours to show divisions and add something to show regimental/brigade scale and even to show diferent battalions.

For example add a colour dot in the counter to diference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th .... regiment/brigade inside a division and for battalions in the descrition using NATO counters a number to diference battlalions.
12-31-2015, 02:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2015, 03:33 PM by Strela.)
(12-30-2015, 09:03 PM)Xaver Wrote: This was discused when PzB1 was released... i see the problem like in the "Early America Wars" serie... but using regimental scale over battalion scale.

Maybe problem is that in PzB unlike in EAW you have over divisional level corps level and is more complex the OOB.

One thing to explore is add a 2-3 level system... i refer using the actual colours to show divisions and add something to show regimental/brigade scale and even to show diferent battalions.

For example add a colour dot in the counter to diference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th .... regiment/brigade inside a division and for battalions in the descrition using NATO counters a number to diference battlalions.

This suggested approach would require a separate component for every unit x 6 for each graphic. I'm not discounting it for a smaller title but with over 8,000 pieces of art already in Normandy, I can't see myself spending the time to make this a reality - particularly when highlight organisation is readily available.

One option maybe a modification to the highlight organisation function where the current organisation is shown and related organisation are show with an alternative colour. I'll look at what is involved and present back a possible model for all to see here.

David
12-31-2015, 03:23 PM,
Another good point made in an email I just received is that markings on the front of a counter only help the top unit in a stack. Everything below that is hidden - the current outline approach is better when stacks of units is considered.

David
01-01-2016, 07:24 AM,
Thanks, this could be usefull if is possible add it to game as alternate option, good luck ooo and happy new year, you are now in 2016, the man from future  Big Grin2