• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ME
12-30-2015, 06:16 PM,
RE: ME
(12-29-2015, 05:39 PM)Ivan The Big Wrote: RE: ME

I have mixed feelings about ME. I do like the Mediterranean terrain in ME more than the desert. Then again the temperate climate terrain has always been more appealing and reminds me more of my CS gaming roots on the Eastern Front than running across sand in the desert.

I do not like the organization function of the game in that no named leaders were included in the files. In fact I had to mod the leader name files using the old names from DG so I could have a LtCol named Al-Falid instead of LtCol  named 22 Infantry. I find that no leaders being included in upper echelon units is bothersome. I got spoiled with EF & WF.

I'm currently playing 2 PBEM's and possibly a third. Both 1973 era. By JTCS standards they are small scenarios 2-3. They are not bad but they are not sweeping tank actions on the Eastern Front either. For one thing the weapon systems had evolved so much over the years that kill ratios escalated dramatically by 1973. That's bad in a small sized scenario because one mistake or one critical unit loss and your done...major defeat.

I tend to like the 1967 and earlier scenarios because the tank busting technology was not there yet. Even if you still made a mistake in playing you had a chance to pull it out. After 1967, it  seems likes its kill-a-go-go!

You all know that I have been a big critic of the A/I over the years. I've often said if you improve the A/I you gain a thousand fold. Let's face it some gamers don't like PBEM all the time. Some like taking on the computer in a quiet corner of their home sipping on their favorite beer and halving a drag from a Salem gold. I see some improvement in the A/I with the adaptive A/I feature but for me personally its not enough soon enough. Over the years I have dominated the A/I and racked up major win after major win. What I am waiting for is to have an A/I that totally cleans my clock by halfway through the scenario. With that I can analyze where I went wrong, then I can say OK HAL, the gloves are off baby and lets get down to business!

I do like some of the new gaming features like Extreme Fog of War in that recon becomes very important with this optional rule. I also like the 2D graphics a bunch and a lot of work has been put forth to get them there. They are outstanding and I cannot wait to see what WWII will look like. I am not a 2D player by any means but the 2D graphics are pleasing to the eye. I may become a 2D player eventually if this excellent work continues forward.  A number of the in game highlighting features are a plus too. Like the new cursors, counter style, enhanced labels and elevation delta. These I feel are all positives.

I haven't given up on ME. I do generally believe for this game engine it is a step in the right direction. Sure there are some teething issues but one thing is for sure, there is a hell of a development team out there that is second to none. I can't wait to see what they will do with WWII. Will it ever out class East Front or West Front for me, I doubt it. My gaming roots go back to late 60's and early 70's when World War II was all that was available. I tend to gravitate back to where I am comfortable.

John

Thanks John. Regarding the AI; again the Adaptive AI will hopefully be an important key here. Yet it is early days as how all the parameters are best exploited especially in scenario-by-scenario basis. Regardless, AI often needs our help to be competitive. 

One trick I do when playing vs AI is I observe how it approaches the game, is it being too bold or too cautious. So for instance when I feel there'd be a good chance for an AI counter attack I first deactivate AI, then adjust its aggressiveness level accordingly, then activate AI again. It is a partial answer only, but at times it works a treat. 

Thank you for your kind comments! I often play vs AI as well. With a brew in my hand too! Don't smoke though.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2015, 06:18 PM,
(12-30-2015, 08:47 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: I parked the car on the side of the road.
Just started to play the turn and after ten moves simply gave up and reported my opponents major victory.
Awful experience. Totally awful.

I'm down to two strikes against. The next PBEM game of ME will decide if it is my last.

And, believe me, I really did not want it to go that way. Helpless

Farmer

HSL

I am sorry to hear the game is not working for you. I am also sorry to see my comments are not seen positively. I have never ridiculed anyone here, nor acted in an unsincere manner, nor I am about to start. I observe humour is best served with best friends though, so that is a lesson learned for me. 

As for your comment on scenarios: It is early days still, but the ratings are starting to come in. 

The CS:ME scenario listing, when sorted by Rating, seems to suggest a couple of games with several games played, and with a positive feedback. It is early days of course, with only 39 games logged for results so far. But maybe that can be of help when selecting your next PBEM? 

See this link (again, sort by Rating):

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/b-15...order=desc
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-01-2016, 03:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016, 03:37 AM by Jason Petho.)
(12-29-2015, 05:39 PM)Ivan The Big Wrote: I do not like the organization function of the game in that no named leaders were included in the files. In fact I had to mod the leader name files using the old names from DG so I could have a LtCol named Al-Falid instead of LtCol  named 22 Infantry. I find that no leaders being included in upper echelon units is bothersome. I got spoiled with EF & WF.

Due to the sensitive nature of the subject, we decided not to include leader names.

I can remedy this in a future update, including various commanders (no names, but something general to help with making less work in the org editor.)

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-02-2016, 12:41 AM,
So we delete or hide posts we do not like?
Isn't there a conflict of interest in that type of action?

I do hope that members will comment on the games they report. Hopefully there will not be a way for those in charge to alter or hide those comments too?

Farmer

HSL
01-04-2016, 04:52 AM,
So far I have decided to not purchase this title(prefer WWII) but I would like to support so I am planning the purchase of the East Front/West Front.

If I took a chance on this Title, I would need Hypothetical scenarios balanced out because enjoyment for me is more important then historical scenarios.
01-05-2016, 12:57 AM,
(01-04-2016, 04:52 AM)zap Wrote: So far I have decided to not purchase this title(prefer WWII) but I would like to support so I am planning the purchase of the East Front/West Front.

If I took a chance on this Title, I would need Hypothetical scenarios balanced out because enjoyment for me is more important then historical scenarios.

I absolutely love the game! Sure, there are scenarios that need work & new scenarios are always needed but Middle East has become a favorite for me in a very short time. The authors have done a tremendous job.

No doubt with the type of support that EF & WF have obtained over the past 20 years, ME will become a favorite of many.
Send this user an email
01-05-2016, 04:28 AM,
(01-05-2016, 12:57 AM)RADO Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 04:52 AM)zap Wrote: So far I have decided to not purchase this title(prefer WWII) but I would like to support so I am planning the purchase of the East Front/West Front.

I absolutely love the game! Sure, there are scenarios that need work & new scenarios are always needed but Middle East has become a favorite for me in a very short time. The authors have done a tremendous job.

No doubt with the type of support that EF & WF have obtained over the past 20 years, ME will become a favorite of many.

Hi Rado, I miss our pbem games 

Up to now there has not been much (as far as comments) to tell me that the majority of battles with the game (which are historical) are mostly one sided. So your saying differently. I would love to see more likers of the game comment about that.
01-05-2016, 11:00 PM,
I honestly think the potential to go the way of Arab Israeli Wars and Divided Ground is there more so than being in the category of the Campaign Series.
I do not think I have played a single scenario, historical or otherwise, that is not skewed to one side.
And, to think that they had play testers who played the scenarios multiple times through multiple adjustments/changes?
Only to have a patch/upgrade come out that altered some scenarios and made them even more unplayable?

I sure would like to see more positive comments.
But, they are sadly not there.
And, tragically/probably for the same reasons.

Farmer

HSL
01-05-2016, 11:07 PM,
(01-05-2016, 11:00 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: I honestly think the potential to go the way of Arab Israeli Wars and Divided Ground is there more so than being in the category of the Campaign Series.
I do not think I have played a single scenario, historical or otherwise, that is not skewed to one side.
And, to think that they had play testers who played the scenarios multiple times through multiple adjustments/changes?
Only to have a patch/upgrade come out that altered some scenarios and made them even more unplayable?

I sure would like to see more positive comments.
But, they are sadly not there.
And, tragically/probably for the same reasons.

Farmer

HSL
The same can be said for many EF & WF scenarios. All one has to do is look at the Win/loss column of many of the scenarios out there & it is obvious, even to a newcomer, how lop sided many scenario's are out there. This will always be an issue as what is a fair & or unbalanced scenario is somewhat subjective. It would be better to figure out a handicap system, based on player win/loss records than it would be to go back & change scenarios. Even then, just which options were being played determines a lot of wins & losses. Middle East is a great game. Long awaited & they have done a great job.
Send this user an email
01-05-2016, 11:21 PM,
(01-05-2016, 04:28 AM)zap Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 12:57 AM)RADO Wrote:

Hi Rado, I miss our pbem games 

Up to now there has not been much (as far as comments) to tell me that the majority of battles with the game (which are historical) are mostly one sided. So your saying differently. I would love to see more likers of the game comment about that.
Same here! I keep hoping to open up my email one day to a new email with a new game move attached (Size 10 of course)!!! I'm ready when you are. I hope things are getting better for you!
Send this user an email