• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 10 problems
12-24-2015, 01:40 PM,
Windows 10 problems
I can no longer find my battle.bte game files in Win 10 when I close out a game turn.  In previous Windows versions the battle.bte files ended up in a folder which was part of the game file folder, but such a place doesn't seem to exist in Win 10, at least, I haven't been able to find it yet.

This isn't a problem with an interim save because I have the option to do "save as" which allows me to save and find the file after the save.  That doesn't work when a game turn is ended by the "Next Turn" button.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I'm sure there must be an easy solution, can anyone tell me what that might be?
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2015, 05:55 AM,
RE: Windows 10 problems
Hello...

I also have Windows 10... when I use either 'save', 'save as' or just 'click' on the next turn button / icon a dialog box pops up. In the top window you will see the 'folder' for the game you are playing. Below that you will see the folders inside of the main game folder. It's name is 'Current Game saves'. At this point, I believe, you can 'open' that folder (by double clicking on the folder icon) and then rename the game turn and select save, or just save it without renaming.

At least that's the way it should go... but I've had so many instances of functions working differently from one use to the next since I've installed Windows 10. For example, the 'in-game help' function was working, now it doesn't. I hadn't changed anything, as far as settings, or icon options. But, for some reason it no longer works. The point being, the 'new' way of saving may work for now, I hope.

Dennis
12-30-2015, 06:27 AM,
Don't have Win10, but in both Win7 and 8 a year ago I had a similar problem and it was due to my anti-virus software which opened everything in a sandbox and created a virtual desktop and other interfaces so when I closed the game there was nowhere to find that directly - before I realized it takes to accept the .exe file as safe and run it normally in the AV software pop-up menu.

Just a thought.
12-31-2015, 12:44 AM,
As I said above, there's no problem when you have the game open and you select "File" at the upper-left. That allows you to "save as," you decide where and by what name it's filed. The problem comes up when I select the "Next Turn" button in the open game. In this case the "battle.bte" file gets saved to a place that I haven't yet been able to locate. I can then see the "battle.bte file in the "File Selection Dialog" but that also gives no indication of where the file is located.

I just started a game and I'm forced to save my game turn without ending the turn and then sending the game file to my opponent who first has to close out my turn with my password before he can take his own turn.

Thanks for the suggestions - hi Dennis
12-31-2015, 01:59 AM,
(12-31-2015, 12:44 AM)alaric99x Wrote: As I said above, there's no problem when you have the game open and you select "File" at the upper-left.  That allows you to "save as," you decide where and by what name it's filed.  The problem comes up when I select the "Next Turn" button in the open game.  In this case the "battle.bte" file gets saved to a place that I haven't yet been able to locate.  I can then see the "battle.bte file in the "File Selection Dialog" but that also gives no indication of where the file is located.

I just started a game and I'm forced to save my game turn without ending the turn and then sending the game file to my opponent who first has to close out my turn with my password before he can take his own turn.

Thanks for the suggestions - hi Dennis

Try making a test file and searching for it with Cortana. Maybe once you find where it's going you can figure out why. I've had no problems at all with 10 and since the recent update (a service pack by another name) the games actually are noticeably more responsive. I never use "save as," just "save" and it always saves the turn into the game's main folder.
12-31-2015, 03:35 AM,
Check the games main folder and scroll down to find the " battle.bte file ", at least that what I did when PBEM.
01-02-2016, 01:03 AM,
Did you install the game in the default Program Files x86 locations? Those are Windows protected folders and they don't like having programs add new files such as save games to them. Always install to a folder you create as described here: http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm under Install Folders. I use a root folder called Games and install all games there regardless of developer.
01-08-2016, 08:07 AM,
I was out of town over the New Year, slow to get back to this thread, anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. My problem remains - when I close out a game turn, I can't see where the file goes.

Meanwhile, I'm not starting any more games until I'm able to find a solution, however, I would be interested in any team game someone might be starting or need a replacement for.
01-08-2016, 08:34 AM,
(01-08-2016, 08:07 AM)alaric99x Wrote: I was out of town over the New Year, slow to get back to this thread, anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.  My problem remains - when I close out a game turn, I can't see where the file goes.

Meanwhile, I'm not starting any more games until I'm able to find a solution, however, I would be interested in any team game someone might be starting or need a replacement for.

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am not experiencing your problem. When games are saved they automatically go to the game program where they always have. Is your problem with the John Tiller titles or the HPS titles or both?

If it is only with the HPS titles then did you install them in the default location or did you install them in the HPS Simulations folder? When I save a game for the first time, with a PBEM game, I get a window that shows where the file is being saved. With a non PBEM game the only way to save the game is with the save game button under the file menu and I get the same pop up window then also. 

Try starting a PBEM game then advance the turn and see what happens. Hopefully it will show you where your game is being saved.

Nick
01-08-2016, 09:12 AM,
Same here, I upgraded to Win10 and have both HPS and JTS titles loaded and they save the files in exactly the same way that they did with XP and Win7 so I am surprised to hear of this issue?

The only issue I know of is that you cannot allow the older HPS titles to install themselves to the default location that I believe is in programme files, rather you have to take the custom route during installation and located the titles onto the C drive (as JTS titles do).