• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NGP85 "81: Better Dead than Red v1.1"
02-20-2016, 07:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 07:44 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE: NGP85 "81: Better Dead than Red v1.1"
Players notes and considerations.

This turn is morning (06 to 08 am), Sun is up, visibility is 3 hexes (4,5 km) and soviet aviation is out in strenght.

4 ATAF reports that units with rough strip capability has almost finished re-locating from their peacetime bases.

The first REFORGER units show up, in this case the 2nd Brigade/4th Infantry Division. From now on, REFORGER brigades will arrive with 8 hour intervals for the next days. They are heavily delayed by WAPA special forces units removing roadsigns, blocking and mining roads and attacking them directly and thus move along the winding forest roads from Kaiserslautern only slowly.

[Image: Reforger1.png]

In the West-German III Korps sector the Polish 2. Mechanized Division surprisingly chooses to break contact with the West-German covering forces and withdraw. The presence of a T72 equipped unit immediately south of Göttingen suggests that the Poles might try to outflank the German covering force with a Tank Division, rather than trying to bull through with the 2. Mech. Div.

[Image: Sitrep1.png]

Further to the south in the GE III Korps sector a further Polish unit, the 4. Mechanized Division, slams into the 5th Panzer Divisions covering forces, but gets checked quickly. The covering forces here are not anchored on any major river though, so in order to avoid being flanked through the woods they retreat slightly.

In the US V Corps sector a new enemy unit, the 57th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, whose Tank Regiment is seen attacking on the photo, is detected attacking parallel to the Polish army. They are supported by attack helicopters and fighter bombers. The covering force here, the 3-12 Cavalry Squadron/3rd AD and the 3rd Squadron/11th ACR stops them ably, assisted by attack helicopters.

[Image: Sitrep2.png]

The 3/11 ACR is also tested by a new enemy unit, hitherto undetected: The 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, whose reconnaisance screen rapidly breaks contact after taking sizeable losses.

[Image: Contact2.png]
East and South-east of the town of Fulda all units of the 39th GMRD now seems to be accounted for. Its attack is on such a large frontage, that it cannot be more than diversionary in nature. Predictably it fails in driving away the American covering force (1/11 and 2/11 ACR plus the 2nd brigade/8th Infantry Division, supported by attack helicopters).

In the US VII Corps sector, the 79th GTDs BMP Motorrifle regiment has now proceeded to outflank Mellrichstadt from the south, supported by attack helicopters.

[Image: Sitrep3.png]

[Image: Sitrep4.png]

To the south of Mellrichstadt the 27th GMRD continues to probe, this time with T62 tanks in company strength. Again they withdraw quickly.

[Image: Contact1.png]

North of Pfarrweisach, a hitherto unidentified unit equipped with BMPs and T64s are observed breaching the border fortifications.

In front of Coburg the enemy seems to be gathering his strength in anticipation of a further push. The units of the 3rd Infantry division prepares to hold the line until the pressure becomes so high as to force a withdrawal. North of Kronach, what appears to be at least a battalion and possibly a whole regiment of BMP equipped infantry is hiding in the woods.

[Image: Sitrep7.png]

Around Hof the gradual withdrawal continues, with the East Germans following slowly. Fuel has finally gotten through and my American units are now free to maneuver.
In addition an East-German unit equipped with T72s is detected, and since intelligence assures me that the only polish/E-German units equipped with T72s are the Tank Regiments in a Tank Division, the presence of such a unit is thus likely. The East-Germans seems remarkably passive here, seemingly content to attrition the American forces by artillery and air bombardment. An East-German Mig 17 fighter-bomber takes a REDEYE up the tailpipe though, marking my first kill of an enemy aircraft.

[Image: Sitrep9.png]

Signals intelligence again confirms that the enemy main effort lies to the north of Coburg and Hof, with several enemy HQs being detected.

[Image: Sitrep5.png]

[Image: Sitrep8.png]

Finally the suspected East-German Army HQ near Erfurt is detected again. If only I had some reconnaissance planes to go out and check what type of HQ it actually is....

[Image: Sitrep6.png]

Mostly due to my units traveling in the rear taking losses from marauding WAPA fighter bombers as they deploy towards the front, I do not advance the difference in losses further. The score stays in my favor, but not by a large margin.

[Image: Victory2.png]
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NGP85 "81: Better Dead than Red v1.1" - by JDR Dragoon - 02-20-2016, 07:25 AM