• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Battles 2 - Visual Order of Battle
11-30-2015, 10:27 PM,
RE: Panzer Battles 2 - Visual Order of Battle
Well, is only a suggestion, like add to american companies the "names" Able, baker... i dont know if other armies use something similar to this.

The point with graphics... is possible do it in a mod but i dont remember now if change in an OOB the pic related with an unit force you use in PBEM the custom OOB for both players or this kind of changes in OOB not affect PBEM.

Les pingouins was the name of a tank, the original idea was named it "Durruti" by an anarchist leader but french said no to this.

Well, sometimes the inscriptions over vehicles made them win a soul... i remember an american tank commander that name all his tanks with a name... i think was Henry, and every time it was knocked out add a number... Henry II Henry III .... but nothing like that jeep inscription, a principes declaration hehehe.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 10:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 06:30 AM by wiggum.)
Looks like i was a bit misleading about how words in brackets are written in german.
I looked at your pdf again.
The Page number i use here is just the first page where i discovered the error, it also needs to be corrected on later pages.

Hope that helps !
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 92: The word "Panzerjäger" in brackets should start with a big letter (Panzerjäger).
Its basically like that -> (schwere), (mot), (mech), (leichte), (Marder), (Panzerjäger), (Panzerspäh) (Flak), (SPW), (Werfer), (Aufklärung)...

Page 93: It's I. Abteilung, II. Abteilung...without the / in between.
The word "Flak" in brackets should start with a big letter (Flak).
Instead of (sfl) its (SfL)

Page 94: It's "Stab I. Bataillon", "I. Bataillon", "II. Bataillon"...without the / in between.

Page 96: It says "13. Kompanie (IG) (mot)" but on the pictures i see horses, might be a error.

Page 97: The word "Panzerspäh" in brackets should start with a big letter (Panzerspäh).
Instead of (spw) Its (SPW)

Page 99: Instead of (gepanzert) i would write (mech) which stands for "mechanisiert" and was used by the Wehrmacht.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanized_infantry

Page:100 Instead of (Funklenk) i would write (Fernlenk) [which means "remote controlled"] or (Ladungsträger)

Page 102: The word "Werfer" in brackets should start with a big letter (Werfer).

Page 113: The word "Pionier" in brackets should start with a big letter (Pionier).

Page 126: The word "Aufklärung" in brackets should start with a big letter (Aufklärung).
12-05-2015, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 12:33 AM by ComradeP.)
As a rule of thumb: classifications of type (schwere, leichte, mot) are in lower case letters. Classifications of function or equipment start with a capital letter.

The classifications where this might be the most confusing: SPW, where SPW refers to the APC and not to the unit being transported by APC's.

Similarly, Sfl refers to a piece of equipment being on a motorised chassis, it does not refer to the unit type being self-propelled (as a word, it does, but "self-propelled" isn't a unit type, the equipment or function needs to be added in order for it to be a valid classification).
12-11-2015, 06:13 PM,
Will the visual OOB get another error correction update before release (see post #12) ?
12-11-2015, 09:02 PM,
(12-11-2015, 06:13 PM)wiggum Wrote: Will the visual OOB get another error correction update before release (see post #12) ?

Possibly.

Mike has been busy on other tasks but I'll make certain he is aware of your post.

Thanks again - we appreciate all the assistance.

David
12-12-2015, 01:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015, 01:48 PM by rzhev42.)
(12-04-2015, 10:30 PM)wiggum Wrote: Page 94: It's "Stab I. Bataillon", "I. Bataillon", "II. Bataillon"...without the / in between.

I am gathering this pertains to all German units to remove the "/". I want to make sure before I change them all. And I will follow ComradeP comment on what gets capitalized and what does not.

I have always seen the term gepanzert used for the armored battalion/company in the panzer divisions. So that term is incorrect? In the Scherzer's "Deutsche Truppen I'm Zweiten Weltkrieg" they use (gp) or in other cases (SPW) to indicate the armored battalions/companies but I have never seen (mech).

Thanks for looking through the document and getting this correct!

All changes will be in the final document

Michael
12-12-2015, 06:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015, 06:10 PM by wiggum.)
I think the Wehrmacht used both, (gepanzert) and (mech). But it looks like for Bataillon level and below the term "gepanzert" (never seen the short version "gp" actually) was used so you were correct, sorry.
12-12-2015, 11:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 05:08 AM by ComradeP.)
Page iii: Typo in "independant" for the Belgian 1st Infantry Brigade. Calling it the Belgian 1st Infantry Brigade, like on the unit page, might be better. It's somewhat confusing currently that the unit is sometimes called the independent brigade (contents, brigade HQ name) and sometimes the 1st Infantry Brigade (unit page). I don't know what the actual in-game name is.

I'm not sure what the policy on the depiction of the swastika is on period photographs or otherwise, but the officer on page V has a swastika pin. It's been a while since I read about the laws in Germany so I'm no longer sure if the depiction of a swastika on a period photograph is prohibited.

Page 2: As Ord is an abbreviation for Ordnance, there should be a dot after Ord.

Page 2: there should be a dot before 50 in 50 caliber, a 50 caliber machinegun would be quite an impressive machinegun :)

Page 20: typo in Captain for the HQ company.

Pages 25, 27, 29, 65, 66, 67: - between lieutenant and colonel.

Page 34: The French call a major general a "Général de division"

Page 76: typo in "Scottish".

Polish, Dutch and Belgian officer ranks are in English, considering that the rest of the document tends to feature native languages, it might be nice to write those in the native language as well.

More later.

Edit: and the dance goes on.

Pages 92, 94: Panzerjäger

Page 93: I'm guessing the Panzerjäger Abteilung uses Marders, in which case either no additional description or "Marder" is fine. Due to being its own type, a Marder isn't generally referred to as a Sfl equipment piece, even though it's essentially a 75mm/76.2mm gun on a tank chassis.

Page 97: Generalmajor is one word.

Pages 97, 98, 105, 108, 113, 115, 118, 119, 124, I believe most of the classifications were actually correct the first time around, SPW in all caps, Panzerjäger, Panzerspäh, Sfl, Aufklärung.

Mot is an abbreviation for motorisiert and not an abbreviation of a larger word in letters of the words forming the larger word, but not writing it with a dot at the end isn't too much of an issue even though technically there should be a dot due to it being an abbreviation.

Page 97, 102, 103: Even though the Panzerwerfer classification for some reason included the addition Sfl and a chassis number, even though as far as I know it was the only vehicle of its specific type, referring to it as (Panzerwerfer) is fine I think.

Remove the / in battalion/abteilung indications everywhere except for the following pages: 100, 101 (on both pages, the / indicates the battalion being a component of the Panzer regiment), 105 (the / is there to indicate that the battalions are components of the Werfer regiment).
12-13-2015, 03:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 03:14 AM by rzhev42.)
(12-12-2015, 11:15 PM)ComradeP Wrote:
Polish, Dutch and Belgian officer ranks are in English, considering that the rest of the document tends to feature native languages, it might be nice to write those in the native language as well.

More later.

We thought about that for the Polish but I really did not have room for the translation when it comes to Colonel, Lt Colonel and Lieutenant so we left them as is.

I have to have this complete by 12/13
12-13-2015, 04:24 AM,
I thought as much, some of the ranks can be pretty lengthy. I'll get the edited version of my comments up ASAP.