• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Battles 2 - Visual Order of Battle
12-13-2015, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM by rzhev42.)
RE: Panzer Battles 2 - Visual Order of Battle
(12-12-2015, 11:15 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Remove the / in battalion/abteilung indications everywhere except for the following pages: 100, 101 (on both pages, the / indicates the battalion being a component of the Panzer regiment), 105 (the / is there to indicate that the battalions are components of the Werfer regiment).

Ok all have ben fixed, Thanks much for taking the time to the review. I am my own worst reviewer and much of the repeated mistakes are due to copying page to page. This whole Visual OOB has taken on a life of its own when I would much be creating and researching the OOBs.

I am not sure I understand the logic in keeping the "/" for the Panzer and Werfer Regiments. The grenadier btls. are also a component of the grenadier-regiments so why not there, or artillery abts. which are part of the artillery-regiment. I just would like to understand when to use and when not to for the future.

I left (mot) without the period as there are too many to change. And I did know that in the German sense it was just not an abbreviation for motorized. I have also seen it used as (motz) quite a bit also.

Again much thanks to you and wiggum for your through review.

Michael
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2015, 11:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 11:00 AM by ComradeP.)
It's the way the name is written down. If it's numbered battalion such and such, there should be no / but if the regimental name is included behind it, it's easier to read if written with a /. I'm not sure what the official regulations are, or what they were at the time, but in the case of a / without a regimental number the / doesn't really refer to anything.

Let's say you have a 1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment. If it's a breakdown of the components of the regiment, writing the name as 1/3 would be odd, as it's a breakdown of the components of the regiment, so which regiment it is would be obvious based on the description of which regiment the breakdown is for. It would be "too" correct for the breakdown of the components of the 3rd regiment to include the regimental number everywhere. The same applies to using the / for German ranks.

As the pages which should not be changed that I listed are the only pages where the regimental name is included after the battalion indication, it makes sense to include the /.

It might be easiest to pose the classification as a question to yourself, taking the level from which you're asking the question into consideration. If someone asks you to which battalion of a certain regiment you belong, it would be odd to include the regimental classification as that is already clear. So you say, for example, 1st battalion. If someone asks you to which battalion in the division you belong, you would say 1st battalion, 3rd regiment as battalions are not numbered 1 to 9, but 1 to 3 for each regiment in most cases.
12-13-2015, 09:51 PM,
(12-12-2015, 11:15 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Pages 97, 98, 105, 108, 113, 115, 118, 119, 124, I believe most of the classifications were actually correct the first time around, SPW in all caps, Panzerjäger, Panzerspäh, Sfl, Aufklärung.

Yeah, sorry for that. I should have better explained it the first time.
I guess only (Mot) and (Schwere) + minor stuff were wrong in the first version.

(12-12-2015, 11:15 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Remove the / in battalion/abteilung indications everywhere except for the following pages: 100, 101 (on both pages, the / indicates the battalion being a component of the Panzer regiment), 105 (the / is there to indicate that the battalions are components of the Werfer regiment).

Thats correct !
12-13-2015, 11:22 PM,
(12-13-2015, 11:00 AM)ComradeP Wrote: It's the way the name is written down. If it's numbered battalion such and such, there should be no / but if the regimental name is included behind it, it's easier to read if written with a /. I'm not sure what the official regulations are, or what they were at the time, but in the case of a / without a regimental number the / doesn't really refer to anything.

Let's say you have a 1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment. If it's a breakdown of the components of the regiment, writing the name as 1/3 would be odd, as it's a breakdown of the components of the regiment, so which regiment it is would be obvious based on the description of which regiment the breakdown is for. It would be "too" correct for the breakdown of the components of the 3rd regiment to include the regimental number everywhere. The same applies to using the / for German ranks.

As the pages which should not be changed that I listed are the only pages where the regimental name is included after the battalion indication, it makes sense to include the /.

It might be easiest to pose the classification as a question to yourself, taking the level from which you're asking the question into consideration. If someone asks you to which battalion of a certain regiment you belong, it would be odd to include the regimental classification as that is already clear. So you say, for example, 1st battalion. If someone asks you to which battalion in the division you belong, you would say 1st battalion, 3rd regiment as battalions are not numbered 1 to 9, but 1 to 3 for each regiment in most cases.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you mean now. Weird that for the Panzer Division I put the regiment name. I think to keep it consistent I will remove that and just battalion.

Thanks again both of you for your review. The Visual OOB has become a better document because of it. Also you helped me understand the usage for the German terms better for future use

Michael