• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

something else new
11-17-2015, 08:06 AM,
something else new
PBEM when I get the file from Panzerjaeger it comes thru with the extension of .rar instead of .bte. Game will not open it even if I rename it. Anybody seen this before? How do we fix it?

Earl
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2015, 09:06 AM,
RE: something else new
.rar files are compressed, and often used to archive multiple files. Same principle as .zip files. You need a third-party program such as 7-zip (it's free) to open them and extract the game file to the proper folder. Personally, I don't see why some folks still use rar files, since Windows now contains native support for zip files, eliminating the need for third-party software, but they do.
11-17-2015, 09:06 AM,
Try using WinZip as it sounds like he compressed using RAR instead of WinZip.
11-17-2015, 09:14 AM,
(11-17-2015, 09:06 AM)Bioman Wrote: Try using WinZip as it sounds like he compressed using RAR instead of WinZip.

7-zip is free, WinZip isn't.
11-17-2015, 10:01 AM,
If you want it, it's free and you can get it here: http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

If you install it and someone (like Peter) requests it, you just right click on the file and there will be an option for making a rar file.

Normally, rar files are a little smaller than zips, but in the case of bte's, totally not necessary. In fact, bte's can be sent without any compression and in my experience will survive the email process without any corruption at all. However, if an email client doesn't recognize the extension it might block it. 

Ask Peter to just send you the bte, uncompressed. You should be fine.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-17-2015, 10:37 PM,
(11-17-2015, 10:01 AM)Scud Wrote: If you want it, it's free and you can get it here: http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

If you install it and someone (like Peter) requests it, you just right click on the file and there will be an option for making a rar file.

Normally, rar files are a little smaller than zips, but in the case of bte's, totally not necessary. In fact, bte's can be sent without any compression and in my experience will survive the email process without any corruption at all. However, if an email client doesn't recognize the extension it might block it. 

Ask Peter to just send you the bte, uncompressed. You should be fine.

Dave

Yes he did that......will try it tonite after work

thanks for the info guys :-)
11-21-2015, 09:50 AM,
A very big bte file with a big scenario are 1000 kb size .+ -
A normal Hotmail you can send a file size of 25 mb