• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DF'85
11-10-2015, 08:33 AM,
Help  DF'85
Having played quite a few games of DF'85 it seems to me there are far too many turns with visibility limited to a single hex. Seeing that I always play without the "Programmed Weather" optional rule I'm not sure why this should be, but it sure is aggravating.

Does anyone know how I would go about editing the visibility parameters in this game?
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 01:22 PM,
RE: DF'85
It is set in the scenario file itself, with a min and max visibility. Use the scenario editor to boost the minimum vis.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-11-2015, 01:19 AM,
(11-10-2015, 01:22 PM)Ricky B Wrote: It is set in the scenario file itself, with a min and max visibility. Use the scenario editor to boost the minimum vis.

Rick

Thanks Ricky, easy enough...Is it possible to edit the scenario for an ongoing game? Assuming, of course, that both players agree. Or do I have to start a new game if I want to edits to take effect?
11-11-2015, 01:46 AM,
(11-11-2015, 01:19 AM)tbridges Wrote:
(11-10-2015, 01:22 PM)Ricky B Wrote: It is set in the scenario file itself, with a min and max visibility. Use the scenario editor to boost the minimum vis.

Rick

Thanks Ricky, easy enough...Is it possible to edit the scenario for an ongoing game? Assuming, of course, that both players agree. Or do I have to start a new game if I want to edits to take effect?

Well, I thought it sounded easy enough, but I just checked the scenario editor and I can't find any way to control the default visibility parameters. What am I missing?
In addition to the editor I do see a weather.dat file. Perhaps this is where I can edit the default visibility settings? Where can I find out how to edit the weather.dat file? I opened it with notepad and all there is is rows and rows of numbers.
11-11-2015, 02:03 AM,
Bridges

If you go to the Scenario menu item at the top of the scenario editor and then choose Header, you can edit the current, minimum and maximum visibility. Just remember that dawn and dusk turns have the visibility cut to one half (FRD) and night turns have a visibility of one. Another way to handle this would be to use the parameter editor and remove the dawn and dusk turns. This would give two more turns of normal visibility during a day with a visibility of two or greater. You would need to use Notepad or another text editor to change the name of the pdt file used by the scenario. I am pretty sure that these changes would not work with a game in progress and that you would have to start over, but I am not positive.

These changes would favor the Warsaw Pact as there would be fewer turns when the thermal sight rules would be in effect. So make sure that you rename your scenario file and discuss the changes made with any opponent before starting play.

Jeff
11-11-2015, 04:03 AM,
(11-11-2015, 02:03 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Bridges

If you go to the Scenario menu item at the top of the scenario editor and then choose Header, you can edit the current, minimum and maximum visibility.  Just remember that dawn and dusk turns have the visibility cut to one half (FRD) and night turns have a visibility of one.  Another way to handle this would be to use the parameter editor and remove the dawn and dusk turns.  This would give two more turns of normal visibility during a day with a visibility of two or greater.  You would need to use Notepad or another text editor to change the name of the pdt file used by the scenario.  I am pretty sure that these changes would not work with a game in progress and that you would have to start over, but I am not positive.

These changes would favor the Warsaw Pact as there would be fewer turns when the thermal sight rules would be in effect.  So make sure that you rename your scenario file and discuss the changes made with any opponent before starting play.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...I see it now. Appreciate your help.  Thanks